Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 06:51   #1

Engine don't start

Hi . I have 2 new batterys 100ah each one full charge I never discharge under 75% . Everytime I want to star my engine is like no power . Went I Crank to star my started drop from 13.7to 9 and batteries too . Any help why this is happen. I have 0 experience in electric please don't be too technical to explain.

Thanks Enrique
windstalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:05   #2

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Engine don't start

First thing to do is check and clean all battery cable connections, especially the ground (black cable) connection to the engine block. If problem persists, let us know and we can move on from there.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:51   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Could also be the isolation switch, the carbon terminals degrade and will work ok for light loads the resistance is too high on cranking loads.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:01   #4

Boat: Tartan 4400

It sounds like both batteries are in parallel to start your engine? You might want to isolate each battery and try to start the battery with each. It may be that one batteries is bad.
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:29   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

when either of my boats did this it was: 1 - bad wire in the wiring harness rom the engine panel to the engine, 2 - bad wire on the start relay at the engine

you can check for a starter wiring related issue by trying to start the engine by direct jumpering on the starter
Old 05-05-2021, 14:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windstalkers View Post
Hi . I have 2 new batterys 100ah each one full charge I never discharge under 75% . Everytime I want to star my engine is like no power . Went I Crank to star my started drop from 13.7to 9 and batteries too . Any help why this is happen. I have 0 experience in electric please don't be too technical to explain.

Thanks Enrique

By “don’t start” do you mean fails to rotate? Rotates too slowly or rotates but does not fire up? Each situation requires a different action.
First up, turn the engine over manually with the de compressors open and see if there are any tight sectors. If its free and easy to rotate, try it with the keystart and if it spins up, drop the de compression levers.... it should start but if rotation slows dramatically, start looking for a bad earth or corroded terminals.
I assume this is the 3GM that you installed after the 2QM transplant
Pete
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 20:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
By “don’t start” do you mean fails to rotate? Rotates too slowly or rotates but does not fire up? Each situation requires a different action.
First up, turn the engine over manually with the de compressors open and see if there are any tight sectors. If its free and easy to rotate, try it with the keystart and if it spins up, drop the de compression levers.... it should start but if rotation slows dramatically, start looking for a bad earth or corroded terminals.
I assume this is the 3GM that you installed after the 2QM transplant
Pete
Yes pete, 3gm , went I pull the 3 ( compressor?) Back for each cylinder, the motor rotate but don't star ,but if I connect and extra charger with booster then the motor start.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2021, 13:13   #8

Quote:
Yes pete, 3gm , went I pull the 3 ( compressor?) Back for each cylinder, the motor rotate but don't star ,but if I connect and extra charger with booster then the motor start.

Thanks

Do you have a battery master switch or a shunt between the battery and the starter solenoid? Either of these could cause problems due to arcing or corrosion.
And another cause of the clacking behavior could be insufficient power in the solenoid wire......the thin one from the keyswitch to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid. Sometimes this causes the “Catch and release” sound that you describe.
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 14:01   #9

Boat: Cal 33-2

Quote:
Thanks
Sounds like you are pulling the decompression release levers on each cylinder. That would reduce the load on the starter and allow the engine to spin, but it won't start without compression. One emergency technique to get an engine going with low batteries is the get it spinning with the compression releases engaged and then close them one by one to start the engine.

Then it sounds like you connect you connect a battery charger and the engine will start. I assume it won't start without the charger. That would indicate weak batteries. Either low on charge or needing replacement.
Old 09-05-2021, 15:08   #10

Boat: Island Packet 38

Again, check and clean the battery cable connections. It costs nothing and eliminates the most likely cause!
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 20:46   #11

If I try with the key from the outside panel harness, sound like is not enough juice, Tac tac tac . The motor don't rotate.
Thanks Enrique
Old 06-05-2021, 04:40   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
If I try with the key from the outside panel harness, sound like is not enough juice, Tac tac tac . The motor don't rotate.
Thanks Enrique
there is a corrosion/wire problem in the starter circuit!
Old 06-05-2021, 04:59   #13

Boat: 41' yawl

When you measure the “battery voltage” while starting, make sure you are attached to the studs on the battery itself, not any of the wire’s connectors.

If you observe 9V *on the battery* while starting, that would indicate the battery is undersized or the starter is failing.

If the actual voltage, measured directly on the battery while starting, is 12V, whereas downstream at the starter it measures 9V, that indicates a wiring/corrosion problem.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 13:40   #14

Quote:
Went I Crank to star my started drop from 13.7to 9 and batteries too .

Thanks Enrique

if the battery is dropping to 9v ether the battery is weak / low / too small or you have an issue with the starter or motor (seized ect) causing excess current.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine