Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 08:53   #16

Re: Problems with new Sterling Battery Charger

Curious if since its the same as a Pronautics, you couldn't talk to a tech at ProMariner, letting them believe you have a ProNautics? Ive talked to them a few times and they have always been super helpful.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 00:24   #17

Boat: Allied 39

Here is the latest from the Sterling charger failing.

We were in the dock and plugged into 220-240V in Papeete marina. Charger ran perfect and I tried it with similar configurations as running it on the Honda 1000.

We purchased a new Honda 1000 110V charger and are now back at anchor.

The charger has been failing 10-15 times per charge cycle with either one of the Honda's (new one or older one), plugged directly into the boats system or straight into the Honda.

It is now failing and refusing to restart on its own as it did last month. I now have to reprogram the unit each time it fails to get it to restart

Voltage at time of failure measured at the charger is 123-124V

Since the older Pronautic 40 amp charger ran perfectly with the Honda 1000 for 6+ years until it failed I can only assume that the Sterling unit should do the same since they are identical to each other

I would like to try it with a Honda 2000 and will keep an eye out for a cruiser nearby that I could borrow their generator for a day.

But at this time I am saying its the Battery Charger and not the Honda generator that's the problem. Since I have now tested it with 2 Honda's

Awaiting a reply from Sterling

What do you think?

Chuck
Old 01-04-2018, 08:37   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I agree that the problem is the charger not performing to spec, and it appears that it is getting worse. Are the failures spread out evenly over the charging cycle, or are they a function of charging current?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:47   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Your charger appears to think your batteries are charged. Are they and are you sure there’s nothing between the charger outlet and the batteries that could block current? Is the temperature sensor installed? Are you using only 1 of the outlet terminal banks or all of them. If only 1 of the outlets have you tried switching to a different one?

Is the fault light coming on?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I agree that the problem is the charger not performing to spec, and it appears that it is getting worse. Are the failures spread out evenly over the charging cycle, or are they a function of charging current?
Agree charger is getting worse and it appears that it happens under full load. There is no pattern when it fails.

I also noticed when its failing now the voltage and output drop (ex 14.0V 23amps when it was 14.5V and 40 amps) and the unit goes into absorb. It will then revert to 00V 00amps and then when restarted goes right into 00V 00amps unless I reprogram it with identical settings.

Also once I get up to max volts/amps and it does goes into absorb it then usually works fine thru the rest of the charge cycle.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Your charger appears to think your batteries are charged. Are they and are you sure there’s nothing between the charger outlet and the batteries that could block current? Is the temperature sensor installed? Are you using only 1 of the outlet terminal banks or all of them. If only 1 of the outlets have you tried switching to a different one?

Is the fault light coming on?
Nothing between charger and batteries and voltage at charger when failing is 123V +/- a few volts.

Battery sensor is installed but tests have been done with it removed with same results

Two of the 3 charger 12V outputs are used.

Identical setup to previous charger
Old 01-04-2018, 14:31   #22

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you have to reset the parameters after an error, that charger is toast I suspect. Although, accidentally wiring the optional remote display backwards when extending it will make the charger "hiccup" like crazy (don't ask me how I know!) so there's some funky circuitry going on there. If you have the remote display connected, try retesting with it disconnected.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 16:08   #23
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I thought all outputs need to be jumpered together if not going to a separate bank?

In other words not supposed to leave any outputs disconnected while operating?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 23:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I thought all outputs need to be jumpered together if not going to a separate bank?

Manual says that is optional but I will try putting the unused one to one that is used. Might as well since I have tried everything else
Old 01-04-2018, 23:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
If you have to reset the parameters after an error, that charger is toast I suspect. Although, accidentally wiring the optional remote display backwards when extending it will make the charger "hiccup" like crazy (don't ask me how I know!) so there's some funky circuitry going on there. If you have the remote display connected, try retesting with it disconnected.
No remote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:26   #26

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Manual says that is optional but I will try putting the unused one to one that is used. Might as well since I have tried everything else

Our older ProMariner Pro-Tech4 charger is supposed to be set up that way, according to the manual... but the newer ProNautic manual says:

4. Empty Charger Banks - In the event of an empty charger bank there is no need to use a jumper as done with traditional chargers. Simply leave the DC positive unloaded and the unit will perform correctly.

I'd guess that's the same product family as your Sterling charger.

-Chris
Old 02-04-2018, 08:07   #27
cruiser

Yes it is, but I thought I've seen Maine Sail still recommending joining, something about even loads on the components.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:16   #28
cruiser

Did I read it right, that everything works fine 100% when running off shore power?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:31   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

You know, the only thing that is going to "fix" this problem is to pick up the phone and call Sterling and speak to real person.

Everything else, including my prior post, falls into internet expertize that is worth exactly what is being paid to get it.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You know, the only thing that is going to "fix" this problem is to pick up the phone and call Sterling and speak to real person.

Everything else, including my prior post, falls into internet expertize that is worth exactly what is being paid to get it.
A few weeks ago got up in the middle of the night(1am)and called the UK since the technical folks didn't respond to my emails They wanted more tests which I gave did and reported back. Now awaiting a reply.

Tags
battery, charger