Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2024, 11:10   #16

Boat: Hunter 34
Re: Open Source Arduino Alternator Regulator

Highly interested!
Artey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 13:42   #17

Interested too and already have a number of SensESP/SignalK ESP32 projects under the belt. Happy to contribute.
PA1PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 14:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post

Assuming this project generates some interest from those with the software development skills, I think Signal K should be possible.
It's pretty simple to send signalk, UDP works fine for me onboard with a Pi & ESP32s running 24/7

I use micropython now but stashed away on github..
https://github.com/boatybits/DATA_SE...r/src/main.cpp
Feel free to copy anything useful if you see anything.

Quote:
void sendSigK(String sigKey, float data)
{

if (sendSig_Flag == 1)
{
DynamicJsonBuffer jsonBuffer;
String deltaText;

// build delta message
JsonObject &delta = jsonBuffer.createObject();

//updated array
JsonArray &updatesArr = delta.createNestedArray("updates");
JsonObject &thisUpdate = updatesArr.createNestedObject(); //Json Object nested inside delta [...
JsonArray &values = thisUpdate.createNestedArray("values"); // Values array nested in delta[ values....
JsonObject &thisValue = values.createNestedObject();
thisValue["path"] = sigKey;
thisValue["value"] = data;

thisUpdate["Source"] = "ESP32";

// Send UDP packet
Udp.beginPacket(remoteIp, remotePort);
delta.printTo(Udp);
Udp.println();
Udp.endPacket();
delta.printTo(Serial);
Serial.println();
}
barcoMeCasa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 19:17   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

Making one unit good for two engines doesn't seem like good value to me vs. just buying two. They won't fight each other since they'd both have their own current sensor. To make one unit good for two alternators would require 2 of a few of the more expensive components, and take up too much board space, but otherwise I would go for it.
I didn’t mean one regulator for two alternators - I meant one regulator for each alternator and that the two regulators would not interfere with each other. Sorry about the confusion.

Unlike the Balmar MC614 regulators I have now, which seem to confuse each other when both engines are running. We had a Balmar Centerfielder, but that didn’t work very well and we removed it. No better but no worse and less complexity.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 02:52   #20

@fxykty, got it, thanks, I don't expect any problems with 2 of these devices "in parallel" from 2 different alternator sources.

@barcoMeCasa and PA1PDR, thanks for the offers, I will share in this thread or PM you when ready.

One question I have now is on hardware for CAN. I am 99% set on the "regulator" being a Shield, in Arduino Uno form factor, with a simple enclosure. This allows anyone to choose their own MCU, such as
This
This This
or
This

The basic Arduino Uno R3 would not support wireless, but would otherwise work the same as the others that do.

I don't know what to do about CAN communication- use a standalone module on the Shield, or use the built-in capability of the ESP32 based MCU's. I'm leaning towards standalone, on the shield, something like This

That way, it would work with the regular Arduino Uno as well, which has no native CAN support. But since I have no CAN experience, looking for any suggestions on hardware for that
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 12:00   #21

Another hardware question: for the power supply that feeds everything, I was planning to use LT8210 from Analog Devices. It takes in a wide range of dirty/bad input voltages and makes a clean 12V output to protect everything downstream, but it also does a lot of things we don't need, and it's expensive at $10 to $15 each in the quantities involved here.

Does anyone have ideas on how to more cheaply turn the sometimes highly variable battery voltage into ~12V, and additionally provide reverse polarity protection, protection from transient spikes, etc?

Ideally this part would work the same for 12, 24, and 48V inputs. Downstream of this is a TPS562202DRLR and then a LDO to produce a clean 3.3V or 5V, so the output doesn't need to be a perfect 12V, mainly looking to protect against brown-outs and transient voltage spikes.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 06:45   #22

What a pleasant surprise.

I just installed LiFePO4 and am running around with the idea of your proposed solution.
Highly interested.

Just some technical feedback:
My engine has two alternators, one for the starter battery (lead) and one for the household battery bank (lithium).

This will save me a lot of headache. Thanks!
Romlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 07:13   #23

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Another hardware question: for the power supply that feeds everything, I was planning to use LT8210 from Analog Devices. It takes in a wide range of dirty/bad input voltages and makes a clean 12V output to protect everything downstream, but it also does a lot of things we don't need, and it's expensive at $10 to $15 each in the quantities involved here.

Does anyone have ideas on how to more cheaply turn the sometimes highly variable battery voltage into ~12V, and additionally provide reverse polarity protection, protection from transient spikes, etc?

I think that's pretty reasonable given the quantities and what the part does. You can get cheaper if you only want to run on reasonably clean 12v (nominal). Nothing's going to be free so at best you're going to save $5 or $10, not worth it, my advice is to stay the course.
Old 26-01-2024, 07:17   #24

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Yes, currently leaning that way, that or making a shield that's compatible with either microcontroller. This looks possible because "ESP32 in Arduino Uno form factor" is a thing.

That said, I imagine the number of times the average person will want to re-program to be very low, not too inconvenient in those cases to connect a USB cable. And it's not so interesting to monitor either, with the major outputs (voltage, current, temp, PWM%) available on the display, which is easier to look at vs. fumbling with a phone or browser.

Main reasons for considering ESP32 is that there's more capability for future expansion that I haven't thought of a convincing use for yet, but for the same money/effort, might as well.
The issue with display is routing the cables means taking half the boat appart and run cable for days via wireless where just use my ipad fixed installed at the navistation anyhow with just going to a webbrowser to get the data i need over boat wifi.

A feature i would like to have is to be able to connect it to the cerbo GX to integrated into victron world, i have already display where i need it. (Can/Ve-direct...)
Maybe offer in 2 versions, one that connects to victron cerbo as monitoring output and 2nd offer the display additionally.
The display should have a simple on/off switch for the alternator...i could imagine if then many want to integrate it into helmstation and i can quickly switch on/off the alternator if i eg need the full power of the engine. Maybe even a 3 pole one, 1-off 2-limited to adjustable current 3-on.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 07:21   #25

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I think that's pretty reasonable given the quantities and what the part does. You can get cheaper if you only want to run on reasonably clean 12v (nominal). Nothing's going to be free so at best you're going to save $5 or $10, not worth it, my advice is to stay the course.
I full agree to that.
You can put me on the list too. Great specs and it was time that someone takes care of this. Thank you
800Euro for a wakespeed here in europe is just far out of what an external regulator should cost.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 07:23   #26

I would add presets for different battery profiles with the option to override bulk/abs/float voltages and time.

I'm not sure I appreciate the need for real-time display. My Balmar is buried in the engine compartment, so I'll never see the output. Using phone/tablet browser for monitoring is probably a good idea (e.g., support ESP32).

Don't understimate the need for a useful user-interface (e.g., not Balmar LEDs or crytpic codes). I'm sure as your project gains momentum, lots of folks will extend your arduino code
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 07:35   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The only thing i would add, hardware wise, is a basic 0v/12v input for charge disable, so that battery management systems can be wired to deal with a battery imbalance or overtemperature condition without relying on a network connection that could fail.
Is this the same as disabling the charge before a BMS cuts the charge source?
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 07:40   #28

Sort of an aside here, but can a self-excited alternator be converted to be used with an external regulator? Can such an external regulator stop the alternator charge?

J&N 400-16060 (Knock-off of Prestolite 8MR2401UA)
Old 26-01-2024, 07:44   #29

I have not had a chance to install anything yet, but I've read the Victron CERBO GX has a mod that will let it talk to Signal K. If the CERBO can get the data from your regulator, (I vote CAN BUS as all my Ve.Direct ports are accounted for.) it may be possible to pass it on to Signal-K that way.
Old 26-01-2024, 07:46   #30

Is it posible to connect to the Victron smart shunt so you can measure actual current into the battery? That way you can control for the effect of running electrical gear while charging. My understanding is that Wakespeed does that. Link also did it once. When I asked Balmar about that, the reply was that it was too expensive. Likely less true now.
Andrew Lippman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, regulator