Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 10:54   #1

Re: Northern Lights Genset Coolant Everywhere?!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise1 View Post
I have a Northern Lights genset (M673) on my Hunter 50cc. It only has 124 hrs on it. I went to change the oil and oil filter yesterday, and the unit was sitting in a pool of coolant, which I cleaned up. I noticed that the Coolant Recovery Tank was completely full to the brim. I finished changing the oil and started it up to run for about 15 minutes. Ran beautifully and within temp range! Opened up the compartment, and once again, coolant -- everywhere! What in the world, everything looks completely normal. Anyone have any idea what might be happening or what the problem might be?
You didn't say whether you emptied the full overflow reservoir before starting up the generator again. If you didn't do that the next time you start the generator the coolant will overflow since it has no place to go. The idea is that the generator will put coolant into the overflow while it heats up and then the coolant will go back into the generator as it cools down....but over time the reservior will fill up.
mcope431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 15:50   #2

Re: Northern Lights Genset Coolant Everywhere?!!?

Check the condition of the tube/hose that runs from the heat exchanger coolant cap over to the overflow bottle. Mine had completely rotted out after only 2 years. The result was a bunch of coolant in the pan under the genset. But I'm not sure how to explain the seemingly excess coolant in the overflow bottle. I agree with the suggestion to pull the covers off and sit there and watch the thing run as it warms up to see where the leak is coming from.

Tags
coolant, Northern Lights