Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2024, 15:51   #1

Boat: Pilot Cutter
Mounting electrical components: wood blocks or plastic blocks?

I have some lights to mount in my engine room. My thinking is to glue some blocks to the engine room wall and mount the lights on the blocks.

The boat will be in salt water.

I am considering using wood blocks. I don't want to spend the money on teak. I have also considered plastic or PVC blocks, but this is also quite expensive.

What can I get away with that will last? I know about marine plywood. But will regular plywood be okay? How about with a coat of paint?

Would another wood be okay for this? With a coat of paint?

Your thoughts and experience.....
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Mounting electrical components: wood blocks or plastic blocks?

I assume that heat or electrical insulation from the lights is not the issue, but only physically mounting something to fiberglass?

I have done this for various projects such as mounting lights, fire extinguishers, etc.:
1. Select a piece of wood for the size of application, regardless of the material as it will be Waterproof.
2. Coat the wood with two part epoxy or paint, at least a couple of coats. I always have some fiberglass epoxy from previous projects so it's free.
3. If the fiberglass you're attaching to is gel coated, rough it up with some sandpaper. Clean both surfaces with acetone.
4. Use thickened epoxy to attach your board. You can buy thickened epoxy that premixes in a caulking tube from West Systems (Six10), and it's really handy. A small amount will do.
5. When you drill into your new board, coat the screws with a little Lifecaulk to make everything Waterproof.
This is a permanent part of your boat now.
Tell us how it works out.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, wood