Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2018, 05:25   #1

Boat: Krogen 42
iPhone to TV wirelessly

I’ve just added amazon prime that has movies that I would like to send wirelessly to my tv. I see other options besides Apple TV that are less expensive but don’t know how set it up. I don’t have a router installed.

Any ideas?
Old 15-11-2018, 05:37   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: iPhone to TV wirelessly

Google Chromecast..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 05:42   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

Buy an Amazon fire box for $70. It connects t your TV and it will control all of your access to Netflix, Amazon, You Tube etc. It can get its internet connection from any wi-fi source...including your phone.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 05:55   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
I’ve just added amazon prime that has movies that I would like to send wirelessly to my tv. I see other options besides Apple TV that are less expensive but don’t know how set it up. I don’t have a router installed.

Any ideas?
the problem you have it that you have an iPhone, which last I looked into the issue (last Dec) only would do this to an iTV

I have an iPhone and my wife has a Samsung. We got an Mirror Cast unit for like $39 at Best Buy and it works with anything you can get on the phone (Netflix, Amazon, HBO GO, CBS, NBC, etec etc) but only works on her Samsung. It has been one of the best things we have added to our cruiser.

If I only had an iPhone I seriously would just be considering getting an iTV and consider the one time cost as cheap in the entertainment cruising value.
Old 15-11-2018, 06:58   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

If you plan on streaming from your phone via the hotspot be aware that after 15gb of data you will be throttled by your provider. Even “unlimited “ data only applies to content viewed on the phone, not on another device. You can avoid this by using a wired input into the viewing device in lieu of wireless streaming.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 07:10   #6

Boat: Newport 28

To echo, Chromecast does work with iphones on most media apps. Once installed, you would fire up your video app of choice on your phone, and then "cast" or share it, to the chromecast attached to your TV. Sure it's a little more seamless on an Android phone, but it does work with iphones. I haven't tested it with Prime Video, but I know that the iphone X I have in the house has streamed to my tv just fine with other apps.
Old 15-11-2018, 07:57   #7

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
To echo, Chromecast does work with iphones on most media apps. Once installed, you would fire up your video app of choice on your phone, and then "cast" or share it, to the chromecast attached to your TV. Sure it's a little more seamless on an Android phone, but it does work with iphones. I haven't tested it with Prime Video, but I know that the iphone X I have in the house has streamed to my tv just fine with other apps.
+1 we did the same on our boat before putting in a Wi-Fi zone. Worked great.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 08:16   #8

Boat: Colegate 26

Honestly if you're using an iPhone it's best to stick with the Apple ecosystem. I'd get an Apple TV. Maybe you can find one cheap on craigslist or ebay if you don't choose to pay their prices for new. But you bought an iPhone, so I'm not sure what the hangups are with an Apple TV.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 08:44   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
If you plan on streaming from your phone via the hotspot be aware that after 15gb of data you will be throttled by your provider. Even “unlimited “ data only applies to content viewed on the phone, not on another device. You can avoid this by using a wired input into the viewing device in lieu of wireless streaming.
I read this alot, but:

Been using our unlimited data for 11 months now to mirror cast to our TV. In that time have been from Marathon FL up to Rockland ME and have routinely exceeded 20gb on the phone. Have never experienced any slowdown or throttling of data for streaming/usage. This also applies to using our phone as a hotspot (have never exceeded our 10gb of plan usage so don't know what happens to it after that).

Cruisers don't spend time in large metro cities where the towers are going to get to a slowdown issue. Now we may experience areas of poor cell reception, but that's different.
Old 15-11-2018, 09:11   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M

If you have to install a router there are several USB powered 'travel' routers available.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 09:18   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: iPhone to TV wired

It's not wireless but these do it great. I use an old non smart TV and this and I can stream Netflix. $49 at Target.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter
Old 15-11-2018, 09:26   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Yet another tale of woe arising out of the basic error of buying an iPhone.

When will people ever learn that they are paying over the odds for technology that is often out of date and then locks them into a similarly overpriced ecosystem? Not to mention leaving zillions of profits in tax havens and not in the hands of investors.

Actually, the Indians have learnt. iPhone sales there have dropped by 1/3rd over the last year.

Short of binning the iPhone and getting Android, which links both hard wired and wirelessly, I can suggest two cheap solutions: -

1. Get the cheapest Amazon Firestick. You do not need the more expensive one unless your boat is big enough to have a 55" TV and you can see the difference in resolution. Amazon is better than the similar Google Chrome if you also want Prime. In my view it also has better apps. Including the ability to load a VPN which is useful if you want to watch such as BBC. Try NordVPN, which is cheap (look for the 3 year offer), and has very good reviews. Tether the stick to your phone. Which can then be left on charge as the battery otherwise drains fast.

2. Buy such as a Sony DVD player which is WiFi enabled. The Sony apps are excellent and include Netflix. Avoid Samsung as they drop support. Such as for BBC. Tether the DVD player to the phone and hard wire the player to the TV. This solution is not much more expensive (eBay) and you get a DVD/Blue Ray player into the bargain. My Sony one even has 12v input; coming out of the 240v power brick.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 09:35   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I would like to send wirelessly to my tv."
Rashly presuming you mean sending the movies from your phone to your TV?
That's generically called "casting" the movies to your TV. In order to do that, the operating system on your phone has to allow "casting", or you need software that performs "casting" from the phone. (Sorry, I don't know what iPhone offers, you'll need to get specifics for your model and OS.)
And then on the other side, your TV needs the ability to receive wireless "casts". That is built in to some "smart" tv's, others can have a Google or Amazon "stick" plugged into a USB port to enable this. Or is your phone has an HDMI output ability, and the TV has an HDMI input ability, you can run an HDMI cable and skip all the wireless setups.
There's no one answer that fits all, the specifics make or break it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 10:26   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

iPhones don't have an HDMI port and that's why you need that adapter mentioned in my other post. Plug your charger cord and your HDMI cord in to that gizmo and you are ready to go. It is plug and play but it's wired.
Old 15-11-2018, 10:56   #15

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

It’s been our experience that throttling can occur at busy marinas on the edge of popular tourist area. When everyone wants to use their phones from dinner time till after the evening news marina WiFi will slow dramatically pushing the streamers off of WiFi and onto the LTE systems which then have to make space by throttling those they can.
We initially began by using Apple TV connected to WiFi, but it was very inconsistent, working reliably only early in the morning and late at night. We then tried connecting via the hotspot on our phones which worked for about a week before becoming unusable due to slow speeds from being throttled because we stream over 15gb a month. Now we are hardwired to the TV via an HDMI adapter and stream directly off the source iPhone with no issue.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, phone