Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2018, 11:30   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: iPhone to TV wirelessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
I’ve just added amazon prime that has movies that I would like to send wirelessly to my tv. I see other options besides Apple TV that are less expensive but don’t know how set it up. I don’t have a router installed.

Any ideas?
I have been on the complete journey owning Apple TVs since the first came out through that latest generation.

This year I bought a vizio flat screen smart tv. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube and a few others are natively built in to the TV - I still have my apple tv plugged in to a port but rarely use it now.

As a bonus I can absolutely confrim that my 42 inch visio and a 32 inch Visio in the guest bedroom both will receive casting from my iPad and iPhone. The 42 inch TV was around $300 on sale and the 32 was right around $100.

The question remains as to where you are getting your internet connection. My TVs, AppleTVs iPhones etc. all have to be on the same network for casting to work.

As someone said if you are getting WiFi in a Marina you could set up a pocket router in your boat to make a local node.

Pocket hot spots are also an option but require subscriptions etc.

I also have Chromecasts set up but don't use them much at all either. They are good if you wanna send stuff from a laptop...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 11:42   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"iPhones don't have an HDMI port and"
Sad but true. However, he still doesn't need that adapter. There's a gen-you-whine Apple Lightning port to HDMI adapter, retail $49.95, or the Amazon branded one for $9.95. And again, if the phone is pre-lightning port...there could still be another older HDMI adapter.
Then bucks for an adapter, ten bucks for a cable, problem solved for $20 instead of buying perhaps $100 worth of wireless casting gizmos. Or solved for ten bucks, if you just plug the phone's adapter right into the tv.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 12:21   #18

Boat: L420

I did this while cruising and found the easiest solution was to download the media when great BW was available; then to play back later, I purchased the apple dongle - the output goes right into an HDMI on the TV. Nothing else worked quite as well and as simple. Worked with any “i” device.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 13:01   #19

All you need is an Amazon Fire stick. $39.00. Fire Box is for 4 K movies, which most Netflix do not have. You can download on Prime, but you must have internet.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 13:03   #20

No need to spend $70 on a Fire Box. You only need an Amazon Fire stick, because Fire Box is needed forn4 K. Most movies aren’t offered in 4 K. Mine works perfectly with my WiFi. You will need WiFi for Amazon Prime and Netflix.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 15:11   #21

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

The firestick works well. Cheap enough. I just bought a phone and decided to go cheap. Bought the Z3 and use the mods. Up to 70" tv but I really like the soundboost2 speaker mod. I use Amazon for movies and alot of music. Many other mods too available. I stream my dish Network through phone when available for live TV, but I've been camping in the state's. All fits in my hand. Wish they had these when I lived in my 30'. Just a thought in case you're interested in another phone in the future. Happy streaming...
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 15:16   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariKY View Post
No need to spend $70 on a Fire Box. You only need an Amazon Fire stick, because Fire Box is needed forn4 K. Most movies aren’t offered in 4 K. Mine works perfectly with my WiFi. You will need WiFi for Amazon Prime and Netflix.
Which means you need to use your hot spot instead of data, and that's a lot different on most people's cell plans. But hey if you do that you don't even need a Stick, kust hot spot to laptop and plug it into your TV
Old 16-11-2018, 04:28   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We have a couple Samsung Smart TVs at the house, and I was just experimenting last night with "casting" -- in this case from desktop computer to one of the TVs.

The current Samsung desktop/Android/Apple app -- used to be Allshare, then Allshare Plav, then Live something, then Allshare Play again, something like that -- is Smart View. Fire up Smart View on the serving device, connect both server and TV to the same network, select media on the server, play.

Didn't check all options completely, but it looks like the same instructions work whether the "server" is a Windows/iOS/Linux device, or an Android tablet or phone, or an iThing.

I'm thinking this would mean media could be downloaded in advance or streamed live, and "the same network" would mean an onboard router, a hotspot created by a smartphone, a hotspot created by something like Win 10 (incorporated), or a virtual hotspot created with something like Connectify.

The TVs already have apps for stuff like Netflix, Hulu, many others I didn't recognize... so I guess some of that "casting" wouldn't even really be necessary... assuming sufficient bandwidth, no pesky buffering, etc.

-Chris
Old 18-11-2018, 06:08   #24

Boat: S2 11.0a

Get a Roku (the most popular over-the-top system in the world) and install the Amazon channel on it. (very easy) then log in to your Previous account from the Roku and all the content is available direct to the TV with no phone in the mix ....
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, phone