Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 08:16   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40
Installing New Honda2000i Generator

We liveaboard and cruise the East Coast/Bahamas. We just purchased a Honda 2000i generator b/c being an amp-miser just isn't any fun.

I have a perfect spot on the aft deck where I want to store and run the generator. Any problems with that? I've read that some boaters store the generator in a locker, but ours are already full.

I have a canvas cover for the generator. Is that sufficient?

THANKS.
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 08:37   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
The canvas cover will be sufficent so long as you consider the generator a "disposable" item. Depending on how often you expose the boat to a salt spray it could last 1 year or 5, but these things, as well made as they are, are not designed to be exposed to a high humidity corossive environment like under a cover on the deck.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 09:51   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I would also recommend getting a rubber mat or thick piece of carpet to place under the running generator to absorb some of the vibration and noise. Otherwise your hull can end up being like the resonance cavity of a guitar.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 17:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I would also recommend getting a rubber mat or thick piece of carpet to place under the running generator to absorb some of the vibration and noise. Otherwise your hull can end up being like the resonance cavity of a guitar.

Rich
Agreed on the mat. I had the smaller Honda generator and it lasted for quite some time. Great little thing. Storing the gasoline was the larger issue. It was whisper quiet.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:55   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat 30, Kon Tiki
I would strongly advise against running the generator while it is in the locker. Most lockers are not vented for that and you could end up with carbon monoxide in your cabin. I run my eu2000i on the forward deck of my endeavourcat 30 while at anchor to recharge the batteries and keep my beer cold (fridge). It is so quiet I forget it is on sometimes.
AirbusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:20   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusDriver View Post
I would strongly advise against running the generator while it is in the locker. Most lockers are not vented for that and you could end up with carbon monoxide in your cabin. I run my eu2000i on the forward deck of my endeavourcat 30 while at anchor to recharge the batteries and keep my beer cold (fridge). It is so quiet I forget it is on sometimes.
Unless you are in an anchorage with significant current would not your boat lie head to wind? If so then doesn't the wind blow the exhaust from the foredeck back towards the boat, the hatches, cockpit, etc? Seems like you would end up with CO in the cabin anyway. Not as much as running the generator below or in a locker but still could be significant and dangerous.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:24   #7

Boat: Bayfield 36
I have a stern 110 v plug so l put the honda in my dingy and run the powercord from the dingy to the onboard jack ...let the dingy drift back (tethered) and whala no fumes ,no vibration,no noise!
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:33   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
My Honda 2000i
has been siting on my rear deck exposed 7 months a year for 4 years now, no cover or anything and it gets hit with salt water and spray often enough, I try to remember to hose it off with fresh water but uselly I do not, it runs perfect and has got to be the best bang for the buck ive spent-all you have to do is replace the pull cord about once every other year !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:01   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind rose ll View Post
I have a stern 110 v plug so l put the honda in my dingy and run the powercord from the dingy to the onboard jack ...let the dingy drift back (tethered) and whala no fumes ,no vibration,no noise!
Dave
Cord in water?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:18   #10

It may drape into the water but l usually keep it up...not an issue though if the cable is sound.
Dave
Old 09-07-2010, 06:42   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Cord in water?
Keeps your anodes shinney and stops that 'orrible green stuff growing all over them

A cover sounds good, but let it breath or condensation will be the death of the thing.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:00   #12

Quote:
Keeps your anodes shinney
Am l missing something? Why would a sound insulated cord cause concerns for the anodes?
Dave
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Just pulling your leg mate
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 13:06   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusDriver View Post
Another reason against a locker, if a piece of dirt jams the inlet valve into the float chamber open then the entire fuel tank will get pumped out through the plastic pipe. On the eu10 anyway.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 13:20   #15

I wondered what thet tugging was!
Dave

Tags
generator