Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2019, 09:42   #16

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Inexpensive but reliable 12v-120v inverter advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
The OP mentioned that his MSW inverter showed 80 volts. If that was measured with an inexpensive averaging AC voltmeter, not the more expensive RMS reading meter, that’s close to the correct voltage. Averaging-type meters don’t read non-sine wave voltages correctly.
Bycrick, is it possible then that my inverter is actually OK? After measuring the voltage with a cheap voltmeter (surely not RMS), I also plugged in a 120v soldering iron to test it. It didn't heat up, but perhaps it's because it's a MSW inverter. I'm thinking I'll try it out with a drill to see if it works.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 13:37   #17

Boat: Norseman 447

If the soldering iron didn’t heat up, and it does on shore, I’d certainly expect the inverter to be bad. There are three basic types of inverter: square wave, modified sine wave and true sine wave, more-or-less in order of increasing cost and complexity. To measure the effective output voltage of the first two, you need a true-RMS meter. My old Heart inverter, an MSW type, showed about 88 volts when it was working, measured with an averaging type meter.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 13:45   #18

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Bought my inverter from Costco on line. It's UL rated. 5+ years later and still going strong.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 16:10   #19
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So why wouldn't you state the brand and model?

High-volume vendors with very generous return policies are certainly a good start.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 16:46   #20

Boat: O'Day 34

On my last boat and also on the current one I used Kisae pure sine wave 2000 W inverters recommended by Alex of Sea Tek marine in Marathon, Fl.
They have worked flawlessly, even though I routinely subject them to heavy loads. Theyre about $200..
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 23:46   #21

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
[...] I'm thinking I'll try it out with a drill to see if it works.

How are you going to do that? You already mentioned you've sent the inverter back... and the terminals broke when you tightened them...

And what do you use "only every few years for 5 to 10 minutes"? Maybe you can pull up to a dock for those 10 minutes and use land power instead?

Just wondering...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 02:04   #22

Boat: Domp 8.60

I'm to poor to buy cheap I always go with Victron with 5 years warranty ;-) and they have great service world wide.
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 03:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
How are you going to do that? You already mentioned you've sent the inverter back... and the terminals broke when you tightened them...

And what do you use "only every few years for 5 to 10 minutes"? Maybe you can pull up to a dock for those 10 minutes and use land power instead?

Just wondering...
My original 2,000w inverter is still installed on the boat. Before I chuck it, I'll try plugging in a drill to see if it's really dead. That's the one I'm replacing. I bought a cheap Chinese inverter to replace it, but when I tested it at home the terminals broke and the voltage was too low.

I like to have an inverter on board in case I need to run a power tool like a drill or a sander. As I pretty much never go to a dock, I need an inverter for those moments when you really want 120v for something on board.
Old 27-05-2019, 12:58   #24

Boat: DownEaster 38

Thanks for that guide, Copa. Well,,, I don't have any medical units but I do have a space heater with fan and a simple blower fan in addition to a TV, a microwave and a small coffee pot. Drills all are on batteries. Oh. there is vacuum cleaner which can usually wait for shore power. TV might be the main user of the inverter. Time to do the math and check the budget!!!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 13:27   #25

Boat: Oceanic 36

Copacabana
Have you looked Neosolar store?
Deva
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 14:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
Copacabana
Have you looked Neosolar store?
Deva
Yes, but stuff is much more expensive in Brazil (as you probably know). As I'll be in Canada for a month, it makes sense to buy it there. Mas, obrigado de qualquer forma amigo. Abraço!
Old 31-05-2019, 09:25   #27

I got one of these in my old tub...that if it burned due to electrical fire, I would get more from insurance than I would if I ever sold it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have it wired into the 120v main with a contactor in between so it is only touching the wiring if it is powered on...just sitting there hooked up and powered off will cause shore GFI power to trip.

Not marine rated(at least I don't think it is)...but seems very well built for the price. Even can run my mermaid air conditioner, though by my math would drain my batteries in about 30 minutes so yeah...I only did it once when I was playing with it, but it did it without getting hot...was pumping out about 1500watts in that test.
Gustuv Wynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 09:43   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustuv Wynd View Post
I got one of these in my old tub
Love the umlaut, give the impression of German quality.

FL company, they claim to own the factory that makes their gear.

Is there a "Made in" identifier?
Old 31-05-2019, 10:35   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Just for the record: MSW is -not- "perfectly fine for tools and electronics". Pure sine wave is what is "perfectly fine" because that is what all tools and electronics are designed to use. Some tools and some electronics -may- work on MSW while others may die when powered with MSW.

If there's one smart thing to do, it is to buy a pure sine wave inverter. A couple hundred buys what you need and below that you get the "terminals break off", "soldering iron doesn't heat up" etc. You can have a Victron Phoenix for $100 or so.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 10:54   #30
cruiser

Since the need is just to very occasionally power just the one tool, looking to save money is a perfectly valid goal.

If you can't actually try before you buy, which would be the ideal,

maybe buying from a source with an excellent return policy would be next best?

If in the US maybe Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, even eBay if done right, maybe Amazon if actually sold by Amazon itself. . .

Tags
inverter