Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 14:06   #31

Boat: Cheer Men PT41
Re: Honda 2200i vs Fischer Panda Genset

Whatever you do consider very carefully whether another Panda is the solution.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 17:02   #32

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I my opinion it is waste of money, time, and space to install a 1 cylinder genset over a Honda. Mine only lasted a few years, was problem prone, LOUD, and expense to fix. Once I got my Honda the next time my genset had an issue i just gave up on it and that was 2 years. To me it is either a $1100 Honda or a $10-15k good 1800 rpm generator. A 1 cylinder is a waste.
My NextGen 3.5 kw single cylinder diesel is rated at 8 oz of fuel per hour under full load and in reality it uses much less
It’s not the quietest thing in the world but it’s been reliable and starts instantly every time for over 10 years. We don’t use it full time but it’s nice on hot and muggy days and nights. It’s also great to bring the house bank back up after several days of rainy weather with little solar input.
And, I don’t have a portable gasoline engine running on my boat.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 18:02   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
My NextGen 3.5 kw single cylinder diesel is rated at 8 oz of fuel per hour under full load and in reality it uses much less
It’s not the quietest thing in the world but it’s been reliable and starts instantly every time for over 10 years. We don’t use it full time but it’s nice on hot and muggy days and nights. It’s also great to bring the house bank back up after several days of rainy weather with little solar input. What
And, I don’t have a portable gasoline engine running on my boat.
Nope you don't have the gas engine. So what?
Old 27-04-2021, 18:51   #34

Boat: O’Day 40

Honda Eu2200i Recalls? While researching these babies I ran across a CPSC recall in 2019 & 2020 warning that the inverter could short circuit with the presence of salt water. Not sure if this means if it gets dunked or is simply nearby. Any experience here?
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 19:40   #35

Boat: Oram

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
let me rephrase your question. because it comes up here alot.

"hello I can't afford to correctly, safely, and properly fix my boat.

I would like to use the incorrect cheap fix. risking the life of myself, my family, other boaters, and the coast gaurd employees having to come save me, possible voiding my boat insurance, and pissing off near by boats with the noise/ what do you guys think?

should I fix it correctly or do it the wrong way?
People like you are the reason I can afford a boat, let me rephrase that normal hourly rate $50 Tosser rate $90
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 03:59   #36

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

My 8 kw generator runs on diesel at 1800 RpM with both a lift muffler and a straight line one near the transom. The exhaust exits about 5-6 inches above the waterline. Inside the boat the sound level is noticeable but ok. Outside it is almost undetectable. Often I have looked overboard to make sure it is running.
As far as maintenance hassles these are mostly two - water pump">raw water pump from time to time and rebuild of the heat exchanger every few years. This has been greatly reduced by my flushing it with fresh water after every trip. Actually the fresh water flush is connected to the propulsion engine and generator from a back deck connection.

I see some replace the standard on engine raw water pump with an electric one that starts as the generator starts.
Mine was installed by a friend and myself as a replacement of an old Koehler back in 2000.
Fuel consumption is about 0.6 gph
Blue seas digital ammeters show it load to help people from overloading when two AC (16k and 7k )are in use.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 08:39   #37

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
You might need 2x Honda’s to get it working for or could go with a Harbor Freight 3500w predator that’s 100 pounds (Honda equivalent is like 150 pounds) that could work as well.
I have the Honda 3000 inverter generator and it weighs 76lbs dry. Great rig because it's so quiet and will actually run 3000 watts as opposed to many that claim but will not run in actuality. Simple test using heaters will separate the truth.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:09   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I have the Honda 3000 inverter generator and it weighs 76lbs dry. Great rig because it's so quiet and will actually run 3000 watts as opposed to many that claim but will not run in actuality. Simple test using heaters will separate the truth.
Is it an older model? The EU3000IS is 130.7 pounds dry per Honda’s website.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 18:19   #39

Quote:
They sell two models. The one with electric start is the heavier of the two. My brother actually had this one and it was great but much heavier. Mine is the pull cord and I picked it because of the weight and the space where I was storing it while under way.

As for why everyone talks about the Honda it simply comes down to great quality and the only one that can do what it claims when independently tested. Many overstate their capabilities and fail under controlled test.
Old 29-04-2021, 19:06   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
They sell two models. The one with electric start is the heavier of the two. My brother actually had this one and it was great but much heavier. Mine is the pull cord and I picked it because of the weight and the space where I was storing it while under way.

As for why everyone talks about the Honda it simply comes down to great quality and the only one that can do what it claims when independently tested. Many overstate their capabilities and fail under controlled test.
2800 model? That one is a decent chunk louder I believe.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:40   #41

Quote:
The one I have is the 3000i and is listed on the website as weighing 77.6 lbs. It's a pull start but is very smooth and quiet. I put it on the step through to my swim platform and can hardly hear it when we are down below. It's also equipped with the 30 amp twist lock that will accept our shore power cable.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:58   #42

Boat: Cal25 - Mark II

16500 BTU package air conditioner on a Gemini 105Mc. Had a Westighouse iGen 2200 suitcase generator that would start a/c once but would not cycle after that. Installed a microair 364 soft start, problem solved. Cylced with no issues on "Eco" mode.
Replaced Westinghouse 2200 with a 2500 iGen (2200 died). No issues. Now runs A/C and 40 amp battery charger at same time.
Generator is also backup for solar battery charging if no sun. Have propane cooking appliances so care in gasoline storage and use is equal to propane.
MHTinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:02   #43

Boat: Outremer 51

I have a Honda for emergency. Too loud to run in anchorages. Too loud to sleep. At anchor we never need ac, only in marina do we use ac and then we are plugged in.
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:06   #44

My favorite topic , GENERATOR
I ( HAD ) a 5 E , Kohler , gas job , only had 225 , crapped out
when it ran it was loud , running iratic , fumes came into cabin ,
This gen set was on a twin gas engine cruiser , Engine was out and I pulled gen set , WHile engine was out I know smart thing was too pay the bucks , swap it out , BUT , recently new engines installed was not eager too spend 6 grand too rebuild ,
Never used , never stay on hook , a/c dockside
I have gone thru gen set , Got it going , replacing starter / fuel pump /
crank shaft was frozen ? freed it , but after 10 minutes I smell windings
225 lb anchor , Gen shop had 25 going for scrap , most dump these old gas kohlers
BOAT UP FOR SALE
I am so tired of inexperienced boaters , SAYING DOES IT HAVE A GENERATOR
Doing my sales pitch , You dont need , if your doing day cruising , rare sleeping on the hook ? I run a 3000 watt power inverter , RUNS EVERYTHING minus a/c ,
If your dertermined , a protable would do the job , then take home for occassional use
If your doing long distant cruising , larger vessel , comforts important ,
then a proper set up is important
Occasional use , not worth the hassle , Something more too maintain
Experienced boaters know the deal , ITs the beginner boater that wants a boat but swayed by the words GENERATOR
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:14   #45

I have both a Honda 2000 and a honda 3000. The 3000 is very much better and quieter. However I would nevrr use them on a boat. Mainly the gasoline exhaust is a deadly silent killer. Also gasoline is just too much of a fire hazard. I personally would never have internal gasoline tanks or an internal gasoline engine. If you need electricity then use an inverter with a very large battery bank and or a 3 cylinder low rpm diesel engine. If you only need a few kilowatts get a 3 cylinder Kubota and mate it to a 1200 rpm generator. Properly isolated and with a wet exhaust and exhaust separator you won't know its running.

PS: you can get a very nice 24 volt dc marine air conditioner (italian made) and not have to run the generator at night.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda, honda