Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 15:26   #16

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Honda 2200i vs Fischer Panda Genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
let me rephrase your question. because it comes up here alot.

"hello I can't afford to correctly, safely, and properly fix my boat.

I would like to use the incorrect cheap fix. risking the life of myself, my family, other boaters, and the coast gaurd employees having to come save me, possible voiding my boat insurance, and pissing off near by boats with the noise/ what do you guys think?

should I fix it correctly or do it the wrong way?

A little bitter?
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:12   #17

Boat: Byliner 3258

Honda Honda Honda why is everyone stuck on Honda? I have a Hyundai 3500 watt inverter generator. The decibel noise is the same as Honda, It has a eco switch that adjusts the RPM to watts required. The generator set has 120, 240 and 12 volt plugs. The gen set has a remote fob that will start stop the set from up to 100 ft. The set has a plastic weather proof enclosure. I have just seen this unit at $1300. Canadian or $1050. US.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:20   #18

Boat: 2022 Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
Honda Honda Honda why is everyone stuck on Honda? I have a Hyundai 3500 watt inverter generator. The decibel noise is the same as Honda, It has a eco switch that adjusts the RPM to watts required. The generator set has 120, 240 and 12 volt plugs. The gen set has a remote fob that will start stop the set from up to 100 ft. The set has a plastic weather proof enclosure. I have just seen this unit at $1300. Canadian or $1050. US.
Well I was thinking of getting something else but ended up going with the Honda as I was able to get a new one for $800.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:35   #19

Boat: '77 CAL33

From your question, I assume you are not into DIY for the existing genset, or a replacement, be it gas (honda) or diesel. For the cost difference, I would try the Honda (even if 2X). Worst case, you won't like it/them and they can be sold at a small loss with a very little struggle. And you'll know you need an inboard unit and more boat bucks.
motretu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:59   #20

You could install a wind generator and have smacc talk to it all night. Plenty of air movement there!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 10:23   #21

Boat: Beneteau 36 CC, Jeanneau 36i, , Tiara 35Express MY

I have the Honda 2200 companion model by itself.
Installed a Micro air soft start on the 16,000 unit.
Runs both that unit and the 6500 btu unit with no need for anything other than start the Honda then start the air conditioners.
I bought the companion because it has the 30amp receptacle.
I run econo mode. If both aircon units are running at the same time it automatically changes to full output and then back to econo once one of the aircon units goes to idle.
Only 1 Honda2200
Don
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 10:26   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Your vessel is already setup for a gender. FP are crap and would not throw any more into it. Have you considered a Phasor genset? They are compact, based on Kubota, and run at 1/2 the RPM as the FP.

Less hassle the moving around a portable which can not be run in the space the old FP occupied.

A lot of people tell you that you donít need A/C Ianís some tell you you donít need refrigeration, others say donít need a flushing toilet, etc. all this is true if you are satisfied going back to a third world way of living. Each of us needs to decided what is ďessentialĒ and make the proper provisions.
I have been going to the Bahamas for over 40 years and I can tell you I don not relish the thought of nights st anchor with no AC in July/September. Needless to say even if I was do in minded I would be traveling alone with wife back in the states.

Now when I was 20-35 I did all that on 25-30 ft boats with no electrical with camp stoves, etc. been there done that snd no wish to do that again. Maybe when the world collapses we will have to.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 10:34   #23

Boat: Beneteau 36 CC, Jeanneau 36i, , Tiara 35Express MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
let me rephrase your question. because it comes up here alot.

"hello I can't afford to correctly, safely, and properly fix my boat.

I would like to use the incorrect cheap fix. risking the life of myself, my family, other boaters, and the coast gaurd employees having to come save me, possible voiding my boat insurance, and pissing off near by boats with the noise/ what do you guys think?

should I fix it correctly or do it the wrong way?
And to be absolutely safe you need two 50kg Ultra anchors with 1000 meters of 1" highest test chain, 2 eight person certified life rafts for your 30 ft boat on a 800 acre inland lake. Any other brand of anchor will put your family and the sheriff's dept at risk.
Geez
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 10:53   #24

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I gave up on my pos diesel genset and Got a Honda EU2200. It will run my 16,000 BTU air conditioner (there are lots of threads)

It did take addition of a soft start kit to the 16,000 unit ($200-300) and a hard start kit to the 9,000 (like $15 but the soft start works sooooo much nicer). Or course can only run 1 at a time, or the hot water heater, or the battery charger at more than about 20 amps. My ACs will both start in ECO mode.

Of course if you have the room you could get a Honda EU2200 + a companion and have 30 amp service

The other part of this is that you will most probably need to make-up a plug that jumps the Honda common and ground wires together (just look up or ask if unclear)
What's this business of jumping the neutral and ground together? Splain please.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 10:54   #25

Boat: Catalina C387 # 130 39

Hi Barb, I hope if you are in transit to GP that it is a smooth trip. When you get back you may want to talk to Chris Harris across the fairway. He put a new 16K unit in and runs with the newer version Honda EU 2200.

Regards

George
S/V Sunlife Catalina C387
Gulfport

gp
george8299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfportBarb View Post
Sorry to bring this up, I have searched the threads and need more clarification. We just found out our Fischer Panda PMS 4200 FCB 3.8kW generator on our new to us 2006 Jeanneau SO 37 needs a $4-6000 repair. The repair guy said we should just buy a new generator. ($12-15000). Yowser. We just bought this boat. Before we throw money at a new genset, can we buy a Honda 2200i and use it to run our Dometic 16,000 BTU AC while at anchor? Do we need a soft start for the AC unit? Do we need to buy 2 Hondas to run the AC?
It seems like a lot less money than a new FP genset. Thanks for your thoughts.
There are a lot safety of issues (electrical, fuel handling, and exhaust) around the Honda that the people who push them chose to ignore, or they just are clueless about. I'll not go down that rabbit hole today...

I'll just say that if you are going to use a Honda to run your AC overnight, PLEASE PLEASE don't anchor within a mile of me. They are very annoying noise to your neighbors who chose to sleep with their hatches open.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:11   #27

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
There are a lot safety of issues (electrical, fuel handling, and exhaust) around the Honda that the people who push them chose to ignore, or they just are clueless about. I'll not go down that rabbit hole today...

I'll just say that if you are going to use a Honda to run your AC overnight, PLEASE PLEASE don't anchor within a mile of me. They are very annoying noise to your neighbors who chose to sleep with their hatches open.
That sounds like a voice of experience. I have never been aboard a sailboat that had a generator running. Are they much more quiet? Don't they have an exhaust exiting the boat? If they have a raw water mixed exhaust, I am guessing it sounds like someone running their engine all night? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here. I am genuinely curious.
Thanks,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:33   #28

While I have no direct experience with Fisher Panda, I do have two close friends who both had FP generators. One has abandoned, the other continues to battle frequent failures. Simple and inexpensive gets my vote.
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:59   #29

In 2015 we paid 10,000 Euros not incl tax for a Fischer Panda 5,000i. It was poorly installed by the yacht manufacturer (H) in Germany. The generator has about a teacup of oil in its sump and no oil filter, nonetheless we were charged 500 euros in Mallorca for our first service. This generator lasted 550 hrs until a salt water pipe failed and it almost completely destroyed itself, requiring a complete rebuild.
Even when I buy a new yacht it will have a Honda EU22i genset, and yes it will comfortably run your a/c. A soft starter is a good thing to have. I plan to by-pass the fuel tank on the EU22i and fit it with a fuel hose fitting so I can run it straight from the outboard motor fuel tank. I think that's the safest way to store and use the gasoline.
PeroniPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 12:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
That sounds like a voice of experience. I have never been aboard a sailboat that had a generator running. Are they much more quiet? Don't they have an exhaust exiting the boat? If they have a raw water mixed exhaust, I am guessing it sounds like someone running their engine all night? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here. I am genuinely curious.
Thanks,
mjgill,

Curiosity is a good thing, it's how we learn.

There are a number of ways to install an inboard diesel generator. The simplest (and cheapest) is just like you have imagined, the wet exhaust is plumbed like a main engine. This is effective, but not terribly quiet. As a rule, generators are much smaller engines than the boat's propulsion motor, so they are normally quieter, but you still get that irregular "glug, glug, glug" of surging cooling water and exhaust gas.

The much better install uses a water/gas separator. This is a simple box at the high point of the exhaust system where the water falls down a hose that exits the hull below water level, and the gases exit above water. The water is now silent, and the gas exits the boat with a gentle, continuous, "whoosh". When properly done, it is almost inaudible, even right next to the boat.

The mechanical noise from the engine is a separate issue and needs to be contained with sound absorbing materials.

On our boat we have a WhisperPower MGV-2 DC generator for charging our batteries. It has it's own sound absorbing box, and then that sits in a well sound proofed engine room. Combined with a water separator on the exhaust, we have had people sitting in a dinghy right next to the boat not realize the generator was running.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda, honda