Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2019, 13:32   #91
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Here is a wild out of the box thought.

Those that are concerned about whether a Honda EU2000/2200i is allowed on a boat ........... don't use one.
Old 21-12-2019, 13:38   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Thumbs up Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Here is a wild out of the box thought.

Those that are concerned about whether a Honda EU2000/2200i is allowed on a boat ........... don't use one.
Agreed
Old 21-12-2019, 13:42   #93

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

A small stray into the thread drift:. If ABYC is the law, why isn't it available to the general public to make sure they are in compliance?

I have a permanently mounted, outdoor, 5kw Honda generator. Ties into 150 gallons of gasoline below deck. If that doesn't get people riled up, I don't know what will. Ha ha ha

All installed in compliance with US Federal CFRs and ABYC. Except potentially the hard mounting of the portable generator. Then again, who wants a 5kw generator loose on a boat? Sometimes the right choice is doing the most safe thing vs any regulations telling you it can't be fixed in place on deck.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 13:48   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I plan on installing my generator into the lazerette on my defender i fail to see any issues as long as i provide sufficient air for proper cooling .
Old 21-12-2019, 14:24   #95
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I plan on installing my generator into the lazerette on my defender i fail to see any issues as long as i provide sufficient air for proper cooling .
Just because one fails to see something doesn’t change anything if it is in plain sight.

It’s kinda the same principle as ignorance of the law being no excuse.

There are many marine standards that apply to fuel tanks, fuel lines, exhaust hoses, grounding, cabling, ventilation, and electrical components, when one encloses a gasoline engine.

You may not care what others do on their boats.

I do.

I’ve had to clean soot off my boat because some loser with no insurance made some ill conceived boat mods. Other slip neighbours weren’t as fortunate as us.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 14:26   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Just because one fails to see something doesn’t change anything if it is in plain sight.

There are many marine standards that apply to fuel tanks, fuel lines, exhaust hoses, grounding, cabling, ventilation, and electrical components, when one encloses a gasoline engine.

I do.

I’ve had to clean soot off my boat because some loser with no insurance made some ill conceived boat mods. Other slip neighbours weren’t as fortunate as us.
On that front you should really choose your marina better if you had issues like that.
Here they require insurance to be in one .
Old 21-12-2019, 14:30   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I do.

So where is the law that says i cant put my diesel genset in the lazerette.?
Old 21-12-2019, 14:39   #98

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I doubt a law, your center of gravity may not like it? Diesels are a little on the heavy side.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 14:44   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I doubt a law, your center of gravity may not like it? Diesels are a little on the heavy side.
Balances out my 3 shots of anchor chain
Becides a sleeved block air cooled diesel engine doesnt weigh that much
Old 21-12-2019, 14:54   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Nexgen 3.5 KW with the sound enclosure is 200 lbs, I believe 160 lbs without the sound enclosure.
Trim wise it affects the boat exactly like one other person being in the cockpit with you sitting on the Lazarette lid.
Larger gensets are likely a lot heavier.
It made no discernible difference on my boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 14:58   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
He said gasoline, you said Diesel. There is a huge difference.
Besides it’s pretty obvious that a marine Diesel genset is made to pass the rules, like being ignition proof if necessary, a gas motor must be of course, and I’m nearly certain that a Honda is not, it doesn’t have a flame arrestor on its intake for one example, and I’d assume there are others.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 15:45   #102
cruiser

Quote:
What?

Who said anything about a law you can’t?

PS, you should stop making false statements about others.

We do stay in marinas where insurance is required, for this very reason.

Buddy let his policy lapse, when his insurance company required a survey and he couldn’t afford it, let alone any deficiency remediation.

His POS house boat blew up, destroyed 2 others, damaged 5 others, wrecked about 30 ft if dock, and got soot on about a dozen more.

No insurance, no money, just a louse.
Old 21-12-2019, 19:15   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
A small stray into the thread drift:. If ABYC is the law, why isn't it available to the general public to make sure they are in compliance?
ABYC is a not for profit organization.

They establish marine safety standards for manufacturers and repairers of recreational vessels.

Like many professional organizations, they offer memberships. A general membership is only US$99 /yr and that gives you free access to all standards and Technical Papers online.

I carry a business membership that costs me US$265/yr, plus the money I spend on ABYC training and certification.

I don’t have to; I just do it because it is the right thing to do.

It’s a really smart move to comply with the standards when making modifications to one’s boat.

You can learn more about the organization here.

https://abycinc.org/
Old 21-12-2019, 21:03   #104

Quote:
it doesn't have to comply with anything at all its a used boat that you as the owner did something that you wanted to your boat.
There are no actual enforceable laws that you would be violating just don't hook it to any actual installed fuel tank and you are fine as long far as that is concerned.
You can hook it to a portable fuel tank to extend the run time and as long as it is not actually bolted to the vessel . A tie down strap is the a real good idea but that is not considered permanent installation.
Well, that´s what I thought till now but just in case......
now we are on page Nº 7
I thought I make a serious question

Hahaha well, You think that I take things too serious ?

Now that I finally have a Frog electric starter for the 47 lbs Honda 200 and I can use a remote control new dark clouds showed up on the horizon.. You think I should run for the hurricane shutters and go to the Super and by food for a month ?
I could live with the candle light but 1 month without cold beer ? That´s an absolute disaster.

I hope we get this Honda thing resolved soon before the worse will happen and I am in the dark.

Yes, I agree, bolted and portable sounds strange, kind of not much sense.
Goes totally against the nature of the Honda 2000

Yeah, let´s strap the thing down. I like that. How about with a rubber band ?
1-2" wide, bolted on one side and on the other kind of a snap latch that can be easy opened and closed. Does not transmit any vibrations.

Now we tie down the gen on to a flat surface. Yeah, just flat surface.
Don´t worry. Let´s take it step by step.

On the surface we mount some kind of a pad... let´s say with some stripes of double sided tape so we can remove it for cleaning. Yes of course, NO 5 star hotel for the critters.
The pad is kind of a water proof closed cell foam rubber cushion with excellent sound and vibration absorption capacity to prevent any transmission of vibration to that surface.

So lets say somewhere below that surface there is a waterproof electrical box with easy access and 6 fixed electrical connections to the boat. (of course all fused etc and bulletproof, against earthquakes, hurricanes, and blessed by insurance inspectors, FBI, CIA, You name it and of course half a ton of certificates and lot´s of stamps) You know what I mean ?
You look at it from all sides and there is nothing, only silence and when they come looking and see the half tonne of certificates they gonna run to the next boat anyway.

So now the wiring diagram with the connections to....

Nº 1 AC main bus bar
Nº 2 AC main bus bar or to isolated inverter/charger with power assist DC
Nº 3 spare for posible 2nd GEN to run 4000 W or 2 x 2000 W
Nº 4 DC main bus bar / battery direct
Nº 5 pending application
Nº 6 pending application

On the other side of the electrical box there are cables/wires that pass the surface through waterproof compressing fittings to plugs corresponding to....

Nº 1 Plug AC Honda
Nº 2 Plug AC waterproof somewhere cockpit ....for toys, tools, etc.
Nº 3 xx pending ??? second companion GEN ????
Nº 4 Plug DC Honda
Nº 5 pending application
Nº 6 pending application

Marine rated Cables/wires pass the upper surface on the front side of the GEN down to the electrical box with comfortable space for handling the plugs and are connected below with blessed ring terminals for easy inspection or in case of Murphy´s Law to be replaced.

So now we have the Gen secured to a surface without losing portability. The Honda 2000 is connected. We have AC and DC and I asume pulling the rope iit will start and when we plug in a 2000 W AC flood light we should have a CLEAR VIEW of the situation.

Are You happy with the SPEC so far ?
Any further suggestions ?

Well, to be safe that the Honda runs like it´s supposed to, we could also use a 1500 W floodlight. That leaves 500 W for a little beer cooler to test the DC connection. I hope nobody has any problems with the TEST procedure..... or You think we should first ask for authorization with a stamp and a CERT ? ????..... You know that´s like calling the devil, don´t You ?
Old 21-12-2019, 22:07   #105

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
ABYC is a not for profit organization.

They establish marine safety standards for manufacturers and repairers of recreational vessels.

Like many professional organizations, they offer memberships. A general membership is only US$99 /yr and that gives you free access to all standards and Technical Papers online.

I carry a business membership that costs me US$265/yr, plus the money I spend on ABYC training and certification.

I don’t have to; I just do it because it is the right thing to do.

It’s a really smart move to comply with the standards when making modifications to one’s boat.

You can learn more about the organization here.

https://abycinc.org/
What a complete dodge of what I said.

I have all the abyc regs and my systems are installed to its methods. It has a great deal of good advice.

But I never asked what it was. I asked why it's not available to the general public if it's the law, as some people said it was earlier.

The information needed to comply with the law doesn't cost $99/yr. It's located for free in published CFRs. By definition these CFRs are freely available to the public. Therefore, ABYC is absolutely not the law.

This is.

https://www.uscgboating.org/regulati...book/PART1.pdf
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, honda