Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2022, 01:09   #1

Help with how to install a solar panel on the hatch

Hi,

I have a 100w semi flexible solar panel that I would like to install on the hatch way of my Bavaria 32. The hatch has anti-slip and the Bavaria emblem moulded in, which is slightly raised - see attached picture.

I have thought about using foam back board between the panel and the hatch an I need to occasionally walk on the panel and this will give it a smooth surface to mount the panel and give it a little bit of a cushion to negate the slight ridge. (the panel I've purchase has an aluminium backing and states that you can walk on it) However, I don't know if that is possible as there would be no air gap, although I never actually seen a solar panel that mounted on the hatch with an air gap, all the ones that I've actually seen seem to be glued down.

I also concerned how I would remove the panel if I used an adhesive such as CT1 or Sikaflex. Would 3M VMB tape or even Velcro (not sure if that will hold) be better?

Any suggestion would be gratefully appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat hatch.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	254206  
Duncancw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:26   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Help with how to install a solar panel on the hatch

Usually the semi-flexible type panels have grommets at the corners. Maybe you could simply tie it off to the handrails I see in the picture ? I'm not sure how permanent you want it to be. Or how flexible the panel is.

I don't know that I would recommend walking on them, even if the manufacturer says its ok.

Another idea if you're ok with it is to add some "snap button" type attachment points. You will have to drill small holes in the hood, but it would be a more permanent setup.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:43   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Tied down works.

I have been doing that for years.

It also allows you to move the panels for best Sun when at anchor.

The smaller panels are stowed or moved to a secure spot when sailing. Upright panel secured/tie securely to stern railing when sailing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00313.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	254210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00318.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	254211  

Name:	DSC00390.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	254213   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00381.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	254218  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 19:47   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And, Duncan, I would be concerned about the raised moulding creating a hard spot. Also, the main is going to shade the panel often, so you may not get very much wattage out of it over the long haul.

We had a flexible panel that we mounted on top the dodger. The dodger flexed too much for it and it was history within a year.

I would think that you might be able to bond the panel to some closed cell foam, and then lash it on like thomm225, and the foam would isolate the panel from the molding adequately, and if you're okay with the loss of the charging, then mount it where you suggest. You could hollow the foam slightly, to accommodate the molding.

Ann

Tags
hatch, solar