Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 13:52   #1

Boat: Hunter 340
Solbian solar panel install

I have a Solbian solar panel being delivered to me in the Bahamas. If I was shoreside I would have the panel sewn in place. I'm thinking of drilling a series of very small holes along the edge of the panel and sewing it in with sail repair thread myself.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 14:37   #2

Re: Solbian solar panel install

I mounted Solibian panels on my bimini by sewing small loops made of subrella edging to the bimimi fabric, drilling holes through the Solbian, and then just tying it with 3/32" cord. I just tie it on the corners and the middle. It just sits up there even in strong winds without any bouncing. No sign of abrasion. I also made it so I can remove them when not cruising by just cutting the ties and unplugging the wires. I figure they'll last longer. I also can take it down before any storm.

One thing I'd suggest is making a backing of twin wall polycarbonate clear panels (like they use on greenhouses). This stuff weighs almost nothing and lasts for 20 years. Just stick the Solbian panel on with 3M double sided mounting tape. It keeps the Solbian panel from flexing too much or forming a hard spot over a bimini bow - but still bends enough to follow a gentle curve in the bimini. The picture below shows an early test. I switched to slightly bigger cord. Because the wind doesn't get under the panels much, they'd pretty much sit there without the cord.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 5.46.26 PM.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	161949  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 20:42   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I see Solbian panels in my future, and this is pretty much how I would install.

Where did you find the twin wall polycarbonate? I could find it online, but no where close; buying small quantity and shipping makes it quite expensive for what it is.

I think Home Depot may carry it, but not as wide as the panels. I anticipate glueing twin wall panels together with a bit of fiberglass to make the width.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 20:49   #4

The polycarbonate panels can usually be ordered from any lumberyard building supply - but I got mine in 24" wide panels that were cheap to ship. My Solbian panels were just a bit wider - you can snap-on edge pieces that make it a little wider - or just let it hang off the side a bit.

Easy Ship 2' Wide Twinwall Polycarbonate - Polycarbonate Panels | Greenhouse Megastore
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:12   #5

Boat: Dufour 40

I used the snap fasteners, supplied by solbian, sewing a doubler strip under each edge on the bimini. Been up there 2 years and working well.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:15   #6

Boat: Tartan 37

Sailrite has an excellent video on this subject.

It may seem complex but discusses the reason for the extra precautions and may give you ideas. Sunbrella is not very abrasion resistant and if it gets windy you may get leaks in your bimini.

Good Luck
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar