Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 01:28   #1

Genset Problems

Hi!

I am a thesis worker at a technical university, my final thesis is about gensets and particularly genset encapsulations ("the material surrounding the engine", all gensets does not have that). I would be very interested in hearing about any problems you "genset owners" have experienced with your auxiliary power device . All inputs are most appreciated, especially those regarding the encapsulation!

If you have any suggestions regarding the material or design used in the encapsulation around the genset they are of course very welcome .

Kind regards
Erik
Thesisworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 02:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Erik.
Having adequate access to the generator for maintenance, like changing filters, belts, pumps...with out having to remove the entire enclosure...so that means easily removable panels of section of the enclosure.
Fiberglass seems to be the material of choice for many.
Lots of the ones I see have PU foam for insulation...it can be difficult to clean.
Seems like if your starting from scratch...perhaps the enclosure could incorporate some of the sound deadening qualities in the structure its self.
Total size of the enclosure is always importent...smaller is .always better.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 04:00   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
See Fischer Panda 5000 Generator - Problems for a short description of a common genset problem which, due to the manner of construction of the genset, has become somewhat more difficult to fix. The sound encapsulation on the Fischer Panda gensets that I've had has been adequate in terms of sound reduction but I feel that a bit more volume and perhaps some forced ventilation might reduce internal temperatures. The encapsulation holds in the heat quite well, in the tropics I've opened up the genset 24 hours after last use and the engine was still too hot to comfortably change the oil.
Old 15-02-2010, 04:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesisworker View Post
Hi!

I am a thesis worker at a technical university, my final thesis is about gensets and particularly genset encapsulations ("the material surrounding the engine", all gensets does not have that). I would be very interested in hearing about any problems you "genset owners" have experienced with your auxiliary power device .
Erik
Hi Erik,you are quite correct, most generators are NOT Encapsulated in a sound proof container - Engines very seldom. However the Engine Room itself may have degrees of soundproofing. The noise and heat produced by the auxiliary engine and a generator is usually diminished by running their exhaust systems together with their cooling system so that sound is muffled and heat is dispersed with cooling water through the exhaust.
Small generators say up to 10 kva may be encapsulated in a sound proofed box - the type that can be access from all sides.
Here is just one website that illustrates various types of encapsulation.
Colorado Standby-Generator & Inverter Systems-Kohler-Onan-Xantrex
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 04:43   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Study up on intake air noise as much of the noise you hear is mechanical noise from the short intake manifolds found on small diesels. Proper baffeling is an important part of the sound shield. Have a look how diesel cars and construction equipment does this so well.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:53   #6

Genset usage

Hi again! Thank you for all quick replies, they are very appreciated and gives me good feedback for my work. You are quite right James the project basically starts from scratch so all inputs regarding the genset encapsulation and usage are very important for me and I am very thankful for all replies I get.

I was thinking about how often and why do you access (open the encapsulation if you have any) your gensets, when it doesn't work? regularly basis? after each running period? something else?

Regards
Erik
Thesisworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 07:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might be interested in this 1997 Master’s Thesis, on the subject:
Optimal Design of an Enclosure for a Portable Generator
by Joseph E. Blanks

“A simple, effective design for enclosing portable generators to reduce the radiated noise is an idea that seems to be desired by the consumers in this market. This investigation is to determine the feasibility of producing such an enclosure for a generator ...”

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/pub...974500/Etd.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 08:13   #8

The genset manufacturers often recommend checking the oil before each and every start - that's not going to happen when the genset is run on a daily basis. I went and got Acoustical Barriers: Whispermat Main Page and put that on 5 of 6 sides (I didn't to the bottom) around the enclosure and that really brought the sound level down; now I can feel the genset vibrations but cannot hear it.
Old 15-02-2010, 13:43   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The genset manufacturers often recommend checking the oil before each and every start - that's not going to happen when the genset is run on a daily basis. I went and got Acoustical Barriers: Whispermat Main Page and put that on 5 of 6 sides (I didn't to the bottom) around the enclosure and that really brought the sound level down; now I can feel the genset vibrations but cannot hear it.
Do you have pictures? I would like to quiet down my generator but wonder about temperature and how the insulation would be supported.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 14:08   #10

Charlie,

I used the whispermat on my genset enclosure and watermaker (which was _really_ loud). I checked my pictures and don't really have much, just this one:

I used a can of thick glue to get it attached to the lid and the sides I just cut to size with a carpet knife and pushed into place.
Old 15-02-2010, 14:13   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks Zanshin. My generator is free standing in the engine room so I would need some type of frame around it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 00:16   #12

Hi Charlie,
Remember to take on board a design requirement that includes providing sufficient combustion AIR for the generator (Diesel need lots) Sometimes it will be necessary to increase the size of the Air filter in order to make up for air restriction from the encapsulation.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote