Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2022, 11:02   #1

Four questions about solar

Question 1: Can I imagine an MPPT Solar Charger as an "electricity sink"? If, for example, I connect two solar modules with different output voltages - say 18VDC and 20VDC - in parallel to one MPPT Solar Charger input, will a 12V battery get the full power of each individual solar module? That means every module spent the full power to the charger. Or do I have to consider something more or something totally different?

Question 2: What power do the solar panels give - say + / - 15° north or south of the equator? The performance specifications of the manufacturers refer to a "sun light output" of 1kW per m². However, the solar power in the area of the equator is (assuming a cloudless sky) about 2kW per m². Consequently, the modules (assuming constant efficiency) would have to deliver about twice the power. This in turn means double the current at the same voltage (to my knowledge the voltage does not get higher). This, in turn, would be important for dimensioning the maximum charging current that the solar charger can process. Is this assumption correct?

Question 3: Is there any experience of the peak values (cloudless sky, no shading)? To be precise, is it actually the case that the solar power of the modules is above the nominal values (in the above-mentioned +/- 15° around the equator) – above the information of the data sheets of the manufacturers? Alternatively, I can of course also convert Ah if the associated battery voltage and the nominal power of the solar panel is named (efficiency would be nice to make it more precise). Of course, it is important that the solar modules were never shaded or partially shaded. With conventional modules, depending on the number of bypass diodes, this leads to a significant to complete performance loss. Modern "hot spot free" modules have this problem to a much lesser extent.

Question 4: Which work (kWh) can realistically be harvested per day and per m² (specify current efficiency)?

It is clear to me that many other parameters (i.e. degree due to age of the modules, salt crystal coating, angle to the sun, etc. etc. etc.) make differences also. The more qualified information is provided, the sooner a "feeling" can be developed for where the journey is going. And maybe in the course of the posts there will be a hint for one or the another how to harvest the missing bit of energy without much effort.

Now I am very curious about the answers.

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar