Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2024, 10:55   #16

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Designing new panels for our boat

scherzoja - what does the "panic" relay do?
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 22:32   #17

Ed,

The panic switch turns on the four exterior lights systems simultaneously from a single switch in the V berth. It's used anytime I want these four exterior lights on at once (theft threat, safety issues, immediate high visibility, etc...).

Near the companionway, I can switch each light on individually from the "Deck Light" switch panel or hit all four switches at once. The blocking diodes prevent the current from flowing to all lights when an individual light is turned on. The relay is wired to the "unswitched" bus so it has power, even if the main DC panel breaker is off. The wiring diagram in post #7 is wrong, I attached the corrected one. Just a minor error where the diode wires connect to the "switch bus".

Here is the thread that discusses this issues I had designing this.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-272907.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiodeDiagram.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	285095  
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 00:42   #18

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewbird View Post
A bilge pump control switch with "auto-off-manual" is a good idea. I had an owner call me frantic because he had ruptured an oil bottle in the bilge and was afraid it would pump overboard before I could get there to clean it up. Because I had recently replaced his bilge pump system I knew he could simply turn it off at the switch. A green led indictor connected to the automatic leg of the switch indicates a ready bilge pump.
In that case you can disconnect the breaker. I'm with Harry in this one, NO off switch for (main, if you have several) bilge pump!

ps. It's about risk management. If your bilge pump is accidently off an unexpected leak can sink your boat vs taking a moment longer to disengage the bilge pump and maybe pump a couple liters oil overboard..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 19:49   #19

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
ps. It's about risk management. If your bilge pump is accidently off an unexpected leak can sink your boat vs taking a moment longer to disengage the bilge pump and maybe pump a couple liters oil overboard..
A curious thing I've learned about oil in the bilge is that an electronic "float" switch won't activate on oil. So, if you have, say, 50 gallons of diesel in the bilge, the pump won't activate. I assume, given that it has a "run on" feature, that enough water to fire the switch will pump SOME oil over, but it won't generally operate on oil.

Yes, I have dumped close to 30 gallons of fuel in my bilge (see my article about my insurance claim -- still not sure just WHY it did, but I had about 30 gallons of fuel in my bilge and NO bilge pump disaster).

The electronic switch (Water Witch and Attwood are two brands) are fabulous bits of gear. I've used both.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 12:54   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
A curious thing I've learned about oil in the bilge is that an electronic "float" switch won't activate on oil. So, if you have, say, 50 gallons of diesel in the bilge, the pump won't activate. I assume, given that it has a "run on" feature, that enough water to fire the switch will pump SOME oil over, but it won't generally operate on oil.

Yes, I have dumped close to 30 gallons of fuel in my bilge (see my article about my insurance claim -- still not sure just WHY it did, but I had about 30 gallons of fuel in my bilge and NO bilge pump disaster).

The electronic switch (Water Witch and Attwood are two brands) are fabulous bits of gear. I've used both.
That's great to know! Sorry about the fuel dumb but valuable info.. problem solved NO off switch!
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, panels