Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 16:35   #1

Cheaper Chinese AGM Batteries

I'm looking at replacing my GEL batteries and came across these cheaper AGM Chinese batteries. They are close to 40% cheaper than Fullrivers of equivalent AH here in Aus. There weight is about the same. Cycles are only specified as being >350 though but I thinking manufacturers tend to make these numbers up anyway. I heard that most batteries are made in the same factory anyway.
Anyone had any experience with the unknown brand AGMs?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf battspec[1].pdf (466.3 KB, 308 views)
bobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:55   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You get what you pay for.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 17:04   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't know Chief. Some cheap Chinese stuff can be really good. I like their food.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Where do you get cheap Chinese food, good or not.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:16   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Unfortunately, though a common saying, real scrutiny suggests that you can get much more or much less for your money at any time and any place. I'm usually slow to buy and looking for references. The seed is planted regarding these batteries, but I'll let "Mikey" try then first! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:19   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Toronto, and it's good.
Old 09-08-2010, 15:12   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
maximum charging current

Note in the specifications that the rated maximum charging current is 50A for a 200 Amp-hour rated battery. This is an indication that the internal interconnects are not designed for heavy use such as marine deep-discharge/ rapid recharge such as the Fullriver.

Max charge current should be in excess of 200A for that battery.
Old 09-08-2010, 15:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Good and cheap? Shanghai. Excellent and reasonably priced? Vancouver (considered to have better Chinese food than China). Cheap and mediocre? Just about anywhere, in any country I've been to. I can discommend a couple of places on Statia, and theres one place on Saba thats actually pretty good, all are cheap.
Old 09-08-2010, 15:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Unfortunately, though a common saying, real scrutiny suggests that you can get much more or much less for your money at any time and any place...
Batteries are materials, not labour, intensive; and probably don't offer the Chinese a manufacturing cost advantage.
Accordingly; you'll likely get that for which you pay.

No matter what I pay, I've never considered any Chinese food cheap - as in value for money.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 17:51   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I have a good customer relationship with Fullriver having put 9 of their DC260Ah-12v on my own Stargazer and recently ordered about 40 more for larger projects.

Prior to the large order I asked them:

“…..to justify why I chose and am recommending Fullriver batteries over this other manufacturer *******, given the large price difference (37%) in their favor.

Could you please explain to us what the difference is between the 2 manufacturers and the compared products in the attached pricing study, so as to make an informed decision?”

Their reply confirms both of what Gord and Rick had to say:

….As you know, our price is based on current lead (main raw materil for battery) cost + RMB vs USD exchange rate, namely valid when the Chinese lead price is between RMB15,000/Ton ~RMB17,000/Ton and the exchange rate of RMB Yuan vs US Dollar is 1 USD:6.7 RMB ~ 1USD:7.0 RMB, could you advise if the ******* price is of the same range?

…frankly speaking, the manufacturing cost on SLA Batteries is almost same, we would be surprised if any manufacturers could offer same quality level as Fullriver but with large price difference. We do know that there are many other Chinese manufacturers who would provide jerry-build batterie with unbelievable low price and short lead time...So if possible I would like to recommend the customer to run a comparison testing between Fullriver and ******** battery, so they could have a clear idea about the difference...What do you think?”

Not conclusive evidence but when the “other manufacturer” was asked to explain why they are 37% cheaper than Fullriver…. I got no reply.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 18:01   #11

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
Good and cheap? Shanghai. Excellent and reasonably priced? Vancouver (considered to have better Chinese food than China). Cheap and mediocre? Just about anywhere, in any country I've been to. I can discommend a couple of places on Statia, and theres one place on Saba thats actually pretty good, all are cheap.
I don't care how cheap, or even how good. I'm NOT eating those chicken feet. I know what those chickens have been stepping in.
Old 09-08-2010, 19:13   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Like Pelagic I went with Fullriver when replacing the housebank in 2007. We're using the deep cycle AGM batteries. They came highly recommended and I've been very pleased with them over the past 3 years.

I wouldn't be inclined to go for a 'good deal' unless it comes with a recommendation from a trustworthy source. A lot of manufacturers 'data' from these factories is somewhat optimistic...
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 22:00   #13

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. 12 years, over 2,000 cylces to roughly 25% discharge capacity on a three 8-D housebank of Lifeline AGM's and still going strong. Money well spent and will do it again (maybe in another 12 years). Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 22:37   #14

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Thay could be like chines food;Full very easy'feel empty soon after.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:43   #15

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
In most cases yes. But do we know every product we buy from a company is actually manufactured by them? How do we know they themselves (not talking particularly about fullriver..but in general) are not buying from the Chinese private label and putting their label on it?

I've reserched this on certain products and saved big $$$'s doing so. ended up with the same identical product.
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm