Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 13:21   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
Xantrex XW Solar Charge Controller

Does anyone have any experience with the Xantrex MPPT controller. It looks like most people use the Outback or BlueSky controllers but the Xantrex looks like a good choice to me as well.

I'm also planning to use a Xantrex C45 as a load diversion controller to dump excess energy to a 12V 300W water heater element.

The setup is likely to be 3 x Kyocera KD185GX-LPU solar panels and 2 x Air Breeze wind generators mounted on an anodized aluminum arch across the stern of a catamaran.

The solar panels will be connected to the MPPT controller of course, the wind generators will be connected directly to the house bank, the Xantrex C45 will be connected directly to the house bank and will use the water heater element as a dump load.

Seems like a reasonable setup to me but this would be my first foray into solar and wind generators.

Comments, constructive or not welcomed.
Kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 17:27   #2

Boat: Hylas 44
Hi Kipper

We have been using the Xantrex MMPT controller for over 2 years. It's performance has been flawless. We have 4 130 watt Kyoceras in series and 3 220AH lifeline batteries.

The only issue was that the conduit knockouts were difficult to remove. Xantrex may have fixed that problem by now.

Good Luck
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:02   #3

Boat: Mahe 36
Thanks for the info Chuck, everyone seems to always recommend the Blue Sky or the Outback so I was a bit worried there might be a problem with the Xantrex.

Perhaps it's just a fairly new product so there's not as much experience with it.
Kipper is offline   Reply With Quote