Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 20:34   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
A Wind Generator Review

Not that I can afford one but I am interested in hearing from various people about their wind generators. What is considered to be the industry standard? Is that the Air-x? I am basically looking for something middle of the road. What are the advantages of having an internal regulator vs. MPPT? What about mounting one of these yourself vs buying one of the kits?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 22:05   #2

Re: A wind generator review

Had an airx that I got so pissed off at I threw it in the water.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 22:10   #3

MPPT is a regulator built for solar panels. You can use some MPPT controllers in conjunction with wind gens but generally you wouldn't want to. Use one of the ones with an internal regulator or get one specifically for the wind gen.

The Air-X sucks. There was one on our boat and when it would spin it sounded like a 100' helicopter with jet engines sucking in shrieking birds. Its so loud that I'd be embarrassed to go anywhere with it turning. I've heard they make better blades you can mount on them now, but honestly, I'm pitching the thing off the boat and installing something else soon. Probably a D400 even though they come at a high cost.
Old 26-02-2012, 23:20   #4

Boat: Chevrier 36
Re: Rutland 913

Two years ago I installed a Rutland 913 figuring that getting less charging most of the time was better than lots of power only when the wind really blows.

The charger worked well at first but packed up after being in 60 mph + winds (NOt hurricane). Then I found the regulator supplied with the generator was the problem and replaced it. Then another storm and now nothing.

You know there's a problem with the supplied regulator when the openings for the feed wires are too small to take the size of wire required for even a short distance.

Getting the generator out of the bracket up the mizzen mast is proving problematical.

Overall, I've been somewhat disappointed and would not be my choice again.

read more about "Kuan Yin" here
Old 26-02-2012, 23:58   #5

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I'm rather surprised to hear you fellows weren't happy with the Air-X. I've never had one myself, but I've known a couple others who had them and seemed happy with them. One in particular sailed the Carib, through the canal, and then up to Hawaii and swore by it. Yeah, the thing was noisy, but isn't that the norm for small wind turbines?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 00:11   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

KISS I beleave is the best there is- ive been using one now 6 years in thr Greek Islands and it supplys ALL my ele needs as long as we have some wind- so far no issues - quite power- 10 knots of wind= 10 amps/hour each additional knot of wind gives you 1 more amp per hour-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 00:49   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, our Air-X is a bit over six years aboard now. Still working as when new, but has required one new set of blades (errant main halyard) and a new set of bearings (less than 10 bucks each at the local bearing supply store). Noisy?? Yes, I can hear it as it works away as I type, but to describe it as unbearable as often is done seems a bit hysterical. The earlier 403 models were noisy, relying on blade flutter to curb excess speed, but the Air-X which uses electrical braking to limit speed is much less obtrusive. Isn't silent, but not so bad as its detractors keep saying. There is one CF poster who has a pathological hatred for the Air-X, but extremism does no one any good and some objective observation will allow one to develop their own criteria.

A look around any distant cruising destination will show the Air-X to be by far the most popular wind genny. I think that this shows value for dollar more than ultimate performance, but it is surely a viable option for the budget constrained cruiser.

As always, YMMV...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-02-2012, 01:03   #8

Boat: GibSea 402

I have had an Air X for 7 years and have been happy although the noise has increased over the last couple of years. I have just replaced the bearings and blades and can't believe how much better it is. The blades are just the standard replacement units and the new silent wind blades may be better but I am very happy with the result. It goes without saying that the Air X is only one part of my power generation. I don't have experience with other brands but thumbs up for Air X
pwhitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 01:40   #9

Boat: Chevrier 36

Well, i must sy the rutland 913 was VERY quiet. It only started to make noise if the winds became force 7.

One reason I didn't go for the AirX was its reputation for noise.
Old 27-02-2012, 02:32   #10

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I have an un-used Rutland 911 24v that was given to me. Friend wants it for a 12v system.
Whats a good simple controller that will do the conversion. Boat will probably have about 600ah bank.
Old 27-02-2012, 05:40   #11

Boat: Prout 37

Would you folks with noisy wind-gens PLEASE not anchor next to us quiet solar yachts!
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 05:43   #12

Boat: Prout 37

P.S. and those of you who have to run your engine for an hour in morning to cool your fridges, please park a long way away, Thanks
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 05:49   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
Would you folks with noisy wind-gens PLEASE not anchor next to us quiet solar yachts!
~Come on now- isn’t that a part of the fun-?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 06:00   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
MPPT is a regulator built for solar panels. You can use some MPPT controllers in conjunction with wind gens but generally you wouldn't want to. Use one of the ones with an internal regulator or get one specifically for the wind gen.
yes and no - the Rutland 914I has an onboard MPPT Controller for improved performance 30% better output than a 913 if you believe the manufactures blurb we have a 913 and it is quiet but not powerful spins in the lightest of breeze but takes 10/12 knots to get output over 12V. Lusting after a D400 BUT its HEAVY and VERY EXPENSIVE but seems to be the best one out there ATM
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 06:02   #15

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Forget about the Air-X it's still noisy....not like the 403 though. We have an Air Breeze, it looks just like an X but with a smaller alternator and different blades, much quieter. However, the only reason we have it is a killer deal on Ebay. If I was paying full retail I'd have gone for a kiss or d400.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator, reviews