Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2023, 09:48   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495
Re: Purchase Advice: Do I Need Heat?

Agree you don’t need AC in your area, but a little quick heat is neat.
- I’ve had big and small Dickensons, Hurricane heater, catalytic (propane) and Chinese diesel heaters (all on different boats = ole guy). For your situation, buy the boat, add a Chinese diesel heater.
Inexpensive, small, easy install, provides quick dry heat.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 10:04   #32

Simplicity is PURE GOLD and a time saver. These boats are tight and have a small interior volume. Try Portable 1 LB Propane Heater , safe and tip proof, crack port or hatch for fresh air, turn off when sleeping WELL and snug. Small storage space when NOT used 95% of time. It’s been a while but I recall “Mr. Heater “ brand. Very inexpensive. SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE ON BOARD!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 10:38   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Any portable propane heater is a pretty bad idea inside a boat……aside from the carbon monoxide risk, burning propane puts moisture into the cabin, which is the absolute reverse of what you want. Vented heaters only, to provide safe dry heat.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 11:21   #34

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

If you can afford a new boat, have a diesel heater installed. That would be a no-brainer to me, even if it gets seldom used. I had hydronic in my previous boat and have forced air in the current boat ... both have functioned well when needed, and don't draw huge amounts of power when at anchor. I don't run mine all night, even with the temp dropping to near freezing, as we're used to sleeping at home with a bedroom window open all winter. Nice to warm the boat up in the morning and keep it warm in the evening though. Forget the propane ideas imo ... they consume oxygen and add moisture to the boat.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 15:16   #35

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

If you think about heating, then get a heater. Factory installed a heating system is most likely pricey but also decent.
If you just need heat from time to time you can save a buck by doing an aftermarket installation. You can go for water based with radiators, or forced air heaters. I prefer forced air, as this also reduces humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Simplicity is PURE GOLD and a time saver. These boats are tight and have a small interior volume. Try Portable 1 LB Propane Heater , safe and tip proof, crack port or hatch for fresh air, turn off when sleeping WELL and snug. Small storage space when NOT used 95% of time. It’s been a while but I recall “Mr. Heater “ brand. Very inexpensive. SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE ON BOARD!
A Lagoon 40 is tight and has a small interior volume?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 21:10   #36

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

Seems to me that Heat is much like reefing.
If your thinking about it - you need to just do it! :-)

We have a Chinese forced air diesel heater here in BC. Cheep to buy, cheep to run. Warms and drys out the boat very quickly. Even comes with a remote control so you can warm up the cabin in the morning without even getting out of bed! If only it could make the morning coffee!
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 05:40   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInSoCal View Post

Any and all thoughts appreciated!
It was 37 degrees outside this morning here in Jacksonville Fl. Am sure glad to have the heat on.

Tags
Advice, purchase