We have the larger bimini
. I think it is fantastic. Here is a list of pro's and con's:
- Great shade, great rain shelter - usually can find a spot out of the rain even when blowing.
- With the front clear up (covers middle third) almost calm behind it when motoring up wind
. I have done this in 30kts apparent. However we roll up the clear when on the berth and if you forget it then it is too hard to attach in more than 10kts wind
- Structure is strong so I find myself using it for a good handhold all around the edges and in the flybridge standing up holding on to the cross bars.
- so far sailed with the cover on in 42kts wind with no problem. The cover would easily unclip if you wanted to take it off.
- If you have the Incidence Stack Pack you cannot reach the second to aft clips. We had it modified by Doyles and is OK now (PS don't buy the Incidence Stack Pack, quality is rubbish and they won't fix anything)
- The steps to the flybridge covers need to be modified to fit around the bimini
poles that attach just at the stairs.
- Yes does make it harder to see what the main sail is doing and the clear panels
in the roof only give a limited view. I find myself standing in the stairs holding on to the bimini to look at the sail trim.
- No, it won't cover rain from going down the steps.
Overall love the bimini! Definitely a must have!