Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 19:12   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 450 Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesK1 View Post
Dave--that's a stunning photo and my wife and I love the color you selected for the pads.

Just 22 days till I head down to sail to Charleston to sail Forcynthia home to NY. I can't wait!

Her refitting is just about done, although I'm thinking about adding an extra 30amps to handle future additions of appliances.

In late summer I hope to have saved enough for new canvas and an enclosure around the cockpit so we can use the area as an extra room in the winter.

Fair winds,
Myles
Myles i bet you two are chomping at the bit to get going!!!! In around 22 days also we will complete on the purchase of our 440 travelling from Australia to do so.

It's been a while since we have been liveaboards, like 6 or so boats back!!!! However we sold our 32' Tennant Cat, sold our cars, our horses and our farm and now we wait till months end!!!!

Enjoy your trip, Cheers Frank
Old 09-03-2012, 19:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
A few teething issues, however the yacht exceeds my expectations. It is fantastic, and where would I rather be;
Are you kidding me???? Just one little teaser pic? I'm dieing here. More pics please. You are one lucky soul. I wish I had me one of them!
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 19:40   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearHorizons
In response to the query about where to store fruit and vegetables, I bought Tupperware plastic bins with holes on top and line them up in the escape hatch wells - in one hull for vegetables and the other for fruit. Keeps them nicely cool.
Perhaps you know about these, but invade not - Ana purchased special green Tupperware for storing veggies longer. I laughed at her at the time ... Now I must confess we would be lost without it ... Tomatoes etc store so much longer in them and I wish we had purchased more initially. I would definitely get a bunch of them and work my shelf arrangements around those box sizes.
Cheers
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 19:46   #19

Boat: Lagoon 450

OK, here is another photo on Auckland Harbour. I will be out sailing quite a bit this week so more to follow. Also I will join the spectator fleet next Friday for the Volvo Races in Auckland. Volvo Ocean Race 2012 :: Auckland stopover 8-18 March 2012
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	1548
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	38542  
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 20:26   #20

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I like what you did to allow for boarding on stern. When I first saw one of these boats my inpression was designed for med tie and charter trade. Only a monkey or maountain climber can get aboard at a side tie dock. I just invisioned retired couples buying this boat and loseing their dream with a broken hip-a truely dumb design. Many motor boat with high topsides compensate with swim platforms for boarding and hopping off. The angle and geometry of the rear steps temps same but it is much more difficult than swim platform particularly for the older none gymnast set.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:59   #21
Marine Service Provider

as i am a professionnal captain specialized in catamarans deliveries(cataworld.com) i can say that the Lagoon 450 is a success and i am really happy to know that some owners are doing modifications. Last year i delivered a brand new to caraibean island, this unit was nearly full options but i want to clarify something, you must check the mounting axis between the crossbar and the port and starboard rudders. During the trip around 800M far from Cap Verde one of the axis snapped and it seems that was a manufacturing defect so becarefull! that was a very bad situation but for chance we found a temporary solution.
Pierre
cw2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 23:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataworld View Post
as i am a professionnal captain specialized in catamarans deliveries(cataworld.com) i can say that the Lagoon 450 is a success and i am really happy to know that some owners are doing modifications. Last year i delivered a brand new to caraibean island, this unit was nearly full options but i want to clarify something, you must check the mounting axis between the crossbar and the port and starboard rudders. During the trip around 800M far from Cap Verde one of the axis snapped and it seems that was a manufacturing defect so becarefull! that was a very bad situation but for chance we found a temporary solution.
Pierre
Good point......Cheers
Old 10-03-2012, 00:33   #23
Marine Service Provider

in direct contact with the manufacturer we can help owners about problems they encounters with their unit.
cw2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 07:37   #24

New cupboard on starboard side
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	38709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	1322
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	38710  

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	38711  
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 09:13   #25

And a table cut in two, which became foldable for an easier access to the storage bellow seeting + more space when not actually using the table.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	38713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	38714  

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	38715  
Old 15-03-2012, 08:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinch
And a table cut in two...
Hi Kinch,
I love your modifications, planned and already done, and I can't wait for the wind generator (1 or 2?), the compressor (any ideas for the air cylinders storage?) and the wine "cellar" (nice one!) solutions.
Regarding the table, that once seen seems so an obvious concept, does it requires a second support when opened?
Thanks for sharing,
jebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 07:11   #27

Yes, when unfolded, the table uses one of the two original support. And its location hole is still on the floor. There are tucked under the chart table when not in use. I've never used the table as a secondary bed, but there is as well the short support to keep nearby.
Since the table is not fixed on the second support, and able to pivot on the first one, a piece of non-skid plastic is cut at the exact shape of the support, so that the table doen't move lateraly when unfolded.
Used it for a week, and seems ok and string enought.
Old 25-03-2012, 16:28   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440 (44'8")

The idea for the table is great! My wife and I were just talking about the fact that on our 440 the small table is ridiculously small -- we'll never use it -- and the large table is a bit too large. (It's just the two of us and our 5 month old daughter.) So we plan to remove the under-table mounts from the small table and find another table that we like as an "every-day" table for use when we're not entertaining.

Also, I've contacted a local canvas guy who's going to construct the cockpit enclosure -- very helpful since we'll be liveaboards and that will function as an extra room for us.

I have a feeling we'll be looking for someplace to mount our oversized, land-lubber TV. Any suggestions?

And I think I had mentioned this in another thread, but we're going to run a second 30 amp line in and have a custom breaker panel built.

Finally, I'm thinking of removing the bench-seat and getting small square stools, the types that have storage in them and can be easily pushed under the table when not in use. That'll give us more room as our little girl is learning to crawl (and walk).

Just seven more days until I sail her home to NYC!

Fair winds,
Myles
MylesK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:18   #29

Re: Lagoon 450 Modifications - Hot Water or lack of?

We have had our Lagoon 450 for a couple of months and I am very, very impressed. However the lack of hot water needs to be addressed. At 8 litres/min flow a full hot tank ran out on full hot tap at 6 mins, so should give 10 minutes of showers. However after a night where the tank was full hot, in the morning only one 3 minute shower!!! [so the crew had to remain smelly]

The hot water tank is 60 litres but oddly only has one heating coil (plus the electric element) so does anyone know how both engines get to heat through this coil?

In my last yacht I used the Webasto diesel water heater line to heat a dual coil and then through a heat exchanger and so got continuous hot water. We have Eberspascher heaters on our Lagoon so may have to try to do the same.

Any comments, ideas? Anyone get more hot water than we are currently getting?

Thanks, Dave
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 01:02   #30

Boat: Lagoon 400

I suspect that the water heater is connected only to one engine - this is the situation on my Lagoon 400. Only the starboard engine heats the water tank.

Tags
lagoon, paracelle