Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 02:13   #31

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Lagoon 450 Modifications

Yes I expect that may be the case. If so it would have been nice if Lagoon had informed in the manual...
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 00:40   #32

Boat: St Francis 50

Hello Dave,
on our L450 only the Port engine heats the water. If you look at the engine you will see the extra hoses used to go to the hot water. I agree with you that the hot water situation is too limited. I have been caught a couple of times where a guest has had a non boat shower ( ie 3 second shower), and I was left with a cold one.

One the Seawind 1000XL that we had there was a gas continuos flow hot water heater. This was a great solution for hot water.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the L450. We are in the USA at present and really miss being on ours.

Regards Ian
IanClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58   #33

Hi Ian,

I have turned the thermostat on the water heater up from the normal 60 deg C to 80 deg C which will give a bit more shower time, but only with generator use. I think using a brazed plate heat exchanger will give continuous hot water.

On another matter the eberspacher heater system gives a nice hot 'coolant' fluid circuit but the rest of the design is @&ap. The radiator fans in the saloon had almost zero air being pushed out. That is because the intake under the seats was right next to the fans. I have fixed that and next job is to fix the almost zero airflow into the shower area.

Cheers
Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 02:33   #34

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Does it get cold in NZ ?
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:22   #35

Never, sunny here 24/7 :-)
Old 18-10-2012, 06:19   #36

Lagoon 450 Modifications - Boom fixation

This post is for those of you who think the original boom fixation piece is only strong enough for a Laser.

I decided to change mine after I realized how weak this essential piece of the boat seemed to me.

Here are some photos ...

(the original is the left one ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vit de mulet 2.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	48453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vit de mulet 3.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	48454  

Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 09:31   #37

Boat: Amel 50

Kinch,

Did you have the piece custom made or is it a readily available?

Thanks.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 09:39   #38

Custom made in Barcelona. Same inox cie which did the dinghy engine crane.
I don't know the precise cost yet, but it should probably be around 1200-1500 €.
An expensive fix, but I feel its a ow cost for tranquility of mind.
Of course, I'd rather if Lagoon chose stronger Goose neck (is that the correct english name for this piece ?) for their future units. I know that my spanish dealer shared this with the factory team in France, although these wouldn't admit any weakness with the original piece of course.
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 17:05   #39

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Strong points for Jordan Drogue:

We have had our L450 for 6 months now and have done about 6000 Nm, mostly in the Med. We are now heading toward the Canaries and then across the Atlantic. In preparation I am doing several modifications.

Here my design for the the attachment of the Jordan drogue. Many professional skipper don't use any drag devices, but I want to be able to put the boat in a safe condition even if the autopilot fails. I plan to lash the rudder to center. The brake on the wheel is not strong enough so use lines on the wheel too. Deploy the drogue and go to sleep until the storm abates or you get your strength back and want to deal with it in an active fashion.

During this trip we have often been rafted together during anchoring with another L450. Power boaters have thrown us some big waves and we could see the aft cleats move significantly under the shock loads. So much that we thought they would pull out. A few weeks back I removed the rope box under the cleat to see what is going on in there. Just 2 square washers about 50mm in size support the cleat and no other visible beefing up of the laminate. Anyway, the cleat position would have the bridle lines for the drogue chafe on the aft stations, so the attachment point had to be moved further aft.

The design for the strong points reinforces the cleats at the same time, giving me confidence that in a marina with swell (we had two or three of them already) the cleats will not be ripped off. I will reinforce the forward cleats a similar manner in time as well. I will again use a top and bottom plate. On the aft cleats I could see how they had already compressed the laminate which could lead to failure as well.

Name:	StrongPoints 2.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	48746
The design consists of two stainless steel plates. The top one is 10mm thick, the lower one 5mm. All have the same hole pattern. Two holes are for the cleat bolts, the others for the 10mm bolts for extra compression onto the fibre glass for a well distributed load transfer from the bridle, through the stainless into the laminate.
The longer plate is longer and polished and has a hole at the end for a shackle.
It goes on to of the side deck. The shorter plate goes underneath. Both are connected via four 10mm through bolts and the two 18mm cleat bolts.

Name:	StrongPoints 1.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	48745 Click image for larger version

Name:	StrongPoints 3.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	48747

The underside of the laminate is quite bumpy and also somewhat curves down toward the aft. I am planning to put some mastic polyester with fibreglass in it on the lower plate and then bolt it to the top pate again to bridge the peaks and valleys.

The pictures are from the work in progress. I still have to clean up the Butyl caulking and do the mastic polyester levelling.

Here is the exact design as manufactured in Palma. We paid 200 Euro for a complete set for one boat. Our buddy boat is getting the same strong points.

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2012-10-23 at 01.43.43 .png Views: 936 Size: 34.2 KB ID: 48748" style="margin: 2px" />

Rolf
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:19   #40

Rolf,

You did an amazing job! Please let us know what you did on the bow cleats.

Thank you for sharing. I saved all the information.

I am not sure if you can set the drogue, tie the wheel and go to sleep with a drogue though... Maybe, with a Sea Anchor. I would think that with a drogue you will still have to do some heading corrections. I hope someone with actual experience can give some input.

Theo.
Old 24-10-2012, 20:16   #41

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440

I'm about to become a L450 owner and have been following all this info with great interest and fascination. Dissapointing of course that the builder doesn't do the job right in the first place, but lots of owner-experienced shared on this forum can't have a value put on them, especially for those of us just about to embark on that long-held dream! Well done and keep the great info coming!
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 20:23   #42

Rolf,

One more thing... I would use 3M 5200 sealant at the underside of the laminate. This will make the underside plate permanently attached.

Thanks again.
Old 24-10-2012, 20:27   #43

Boat: Lagoon 440

Best advice is to accept advice from actual LAGOON owners/ex-owners, you will be very satisfied :-) Cheers Frank
Old 30-10-2012, 14:12   #44

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Rolf,

One more thing... I would use 3M 5200 sealant at the underside of the laminate. This will make the underside plate permanently attached.

Thanks again.
I was planning to use mastic polyester to attach the backing plate. I need to bridge some bumps of the inside fiber glass too. Also, towards the aft the inside hull curves slightly down so the plate is lying hollow. I would have to tighten the screws too much to make it follow the curve that I could break things.

Here a quote from a manufacturer:
"Polyester mastic reinforced with glass fibres. Mastic based on unsatured polyester resins and glass fibres. Featuring good mechanical resistance, low shrinkage and very good spreadability, it is particularly recommended for filling up edges and bends, filling and for gluing boats longerons and bulkheads in the production of fibreglass hulls."
It is meant to by used for these kind of applications. What do you think?

Rolf
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 22:07   #45

I don't know how large the gaps are, so I'm of little help here. Basically, you will need something that has the consistency of play dough, when un-cured, and does not shrink or compress much when cured.

I have had great luck with 3M 5200 before but the gaps were 1/4 inch or less.

Tags
lagoon, paracelle