Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2024, 21:47   #1

Jammed jib track stopper

Has anybody found a solution to freeing a jammed Harken jib track stopper?

One of the stoppers on the jib track on my Lagoon 42 is jammed, and although I've tried several different lubricants they have had zero effect.
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 04:14   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Jammed jib track stopper

Post a photo.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 20:58   #3

Old 24-02-2024, 11:51   #4

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

no pic !
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 11:54   #5

No idea what it looks like, but if it's mixed metals like aluminum and SS and etc. Giver it a hard 'rap' with a hammer so the "plunger" gets shocked. It's likely salt/corrosion.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 14:37   #6

Sorry, I'm having problems uploading the image.
The stoppers are basically sliders that run along the track, and use a sprung retractable stopper(with bolt)mounted on them to locate the slider at the desired position through hole in the track. I've tried whacking it with a hammer as you suggest, but to no avail. I was wondering whether a solution of oxalic acid might work?
Old 24-02-2024, 16:31   #7

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Harken call it a pinstop. They have different types. Usually a spring loaded pin. Some are pin heads some are lever heads. So the pin needs to be lifted. The spring may be broken. If it was me I would use a pair of Vice Grips and pull the pin head up, twisting slightly from side to side - but then something might break which was likely going to break soon any way. Also what may have happened is that one of the bolts holding down the track has come loose and now sitting proud and caught the stopper from underneath. Either way you may need a pry bar/screw driver or vice grip with gentle persuasion to get the pin loose. A picture will help a lot in identifying your issue. I assume the jib sheet is slack or removed.

An alternative identifier is - Google Harken Pinstop, click on images in the Google search function there will be hundreds of them, pick the one that resembles yours and post the link. https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=873&dpr=1
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 22:56   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, there is always weasel piss: 1 part acetone and 1 part automatic transmission fluid. Leave to soak overnight. It worked for me to free up a stuck pin in a spinnaker pole when nothing else would.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 13:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Harken call it a pinstop. They have different types. Usually a spring loaded pin. Some are pin heads some are lever heads. So the pin needs to be lifted. The spring may be broken. If it was me I would use a pair of Vice Grips and pull the pin head up, twisting slightly from side to side - but then something might break which was likely going to break soon any way. Also what may have happened is that one of the bolts holding down the track has come loose and now sitting proud and caught the stopper from underneath. Either way you may need a pry bar/screw driver or vice grip with gentle persuasion to get the pin loose. A picture will help a lot in identifying your issue. I assume the jib sheet is slack or removed.

An alternative identifier is - Google Harken Pinstop, click on images in the Google search function there will be hundreds of them, pick the one that resembles yours and post the link. https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=873&dpr=1
https://www.harken.com.au/en/shop/32...table-pinstop/
Old 27-02-2024, 15:27   #10

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, there is always weasel piss: 1 part acetone and 1 part automatic transmission fluid.
^ Absolutely.
The guys that restore/rebuild ancient machinery have been using that concoction forever, it still works.
Old 27-02-2024, 20:07   #11

From the feel of the stopper it seems that it is most likely due to the spring rather than corrosion.

Tags
jib, med