Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 19:43   #16

Re: Help Introduce Us to Lagoons!

Oh, and Alan, remind me to buy you a drink if we're ever in the same area...I have a feeling you're retaining a lot more wisdom and I wouldn't mind trying to pry some of it out of you.
TheMastaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 19:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
Just out of curiosity and slightly off topic: you listed entire line of Lagoon cats up to 52, except Lagoon 421. Any specific reason why you would not consider L421?
I absolutely love all the Lagoons, so usually something I don't like is just a matter of preference:

The older 410s have a counter which is the back of the seats around the salon table. I feel like that would be a clutter catcher for us, and slightly hinders the flow from the cockpit to the salon.

The 420s and the 421 have extremely small trampoline space, and my kids (and I) really love playing on the trampolines...just look at the joy in her face!

The 39 and 52 are awesome with the mast moved so far back and the self tacking jibs, but they are so new and expensive at this point I doubt my family would find a decent fit on one of those.

So realistically, we'd be most serious about a 380, 400, or a 440.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7474.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	101921  
TheMastaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 21:04   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

Alan gave very sound advice, IMO.

But, you came back with an even better question. The way you retorted, to me, shows someone willing to work his ass off to do what it takes.

Yes, Mike and Rebecca (ZTC) did their dues on a smaller cat (still much bigger and more complex than, probably, the majority of liveaboards and cruisers) than the one (until very recently) they crewed for charter...their big thing when they fist started was they didn't even know how to sail!

They jumped in. Worked their asses off, and became experts on a huge scale.

For me, my family's (and my) comfort is numero uno.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVArgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 00:49   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I think I would have to say that the most vital thing that is important it getting your wife to fully buy into the plan. Once you get her on the "team" ( and there is no """I""" in the word team) then you pretty much can do anything. I dig the plan. I just don't want you to get your family all jacked up and then find out your wife hates the boats and sea sickness and then you have a major problem...sand in the cogs...sucks. Get her excited by watching the countless videos of Bahamas, BVI, USVI, Grenada...on and on...then get a charter on a crewed charter and let her live the easy sweet life where she only has to figure out whether she wants a margarita or a pina colada at lunch...or which bathing suit today sort of thing...."set the hook correctly skipper and you will have your mate"....any other course and you are sailing in unchartered water. Believe it or not....she is the key.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:14   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Onelovecat.com is the website for the Zero to Cruising skipper blog. One thing I am sure you already know is that the hurricane season is coming up pretty quick. By mid July you are already in sketchy time. I don't know how to say this correctly so I will put the "flame suit" on...other skippers have many different ideas about this subject...but suffice it to say...the shorter the boat...the more systems...the worse the performance of the boat will be...some of the boats sold out there are floating hotels that have extremely poor performance for my taste.

I was at the Miami boat show years ago and went on a sexy French catamaran called a Privilege (spelling?). I was just in shock how nice it was. I had never been on a boat like it. We went out into Biscayne Bay in about 10 knots of wind. On a reach with about 10 people we were doing about 2 knots and that is generous. Went back in and got a ride on an F-27...which is a trimaran and minimalistic at best...and had 4 of us on board...we were doing low teens on a broad reach. So, you have to take all of that stuff into account about family needs, performance, cost, and taste. It really is fun sorting through it. My wife says I get a glazed..."deer, caught in the headlights look" at the boat shows...she might be right...smile...
Have fun Don...it really is a great spot you are in...enjoy it...

Don't forget about other manufacturers also. Personally I like the Outremer (French) and the Atlantic Cats by Chris White. They have great performance and I do believe that if you go to the sales agents down chain you can get some really great buys on nicely set up boats. Take your time...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:19   #21

Boat: LAGOON 400

for us it was love at first sight.

Lagoon 41 that was.

I dedicated whole month during wet season, when rates lower, to test any charter cat on offer in certain charter location.

I also tested 'performance' cats to see what all about.

Then gave full chance also to monos.

Once you experience lazying on forward net in 8kn speed and following seas, there is no way back, for me at least.

Although managed to convince wife mono ok, half price, I was not.

However, i was overwhelmed how much maintenance is required for our lower end (& lighter) equipped boat. But found positive side as I lost couple of kilos and my wife volunteered to climb mast.

keep moving and stay healthy.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:35   #22

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Check out this link of a Lagoon 440 circumnavigating.

Impi

Some excellent videos for your wife here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brentandana4
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon