Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 04:51   #1
POH

Boat: Lagoon 420, Duncanson 29, Laser
Rudder Bearings - Lagoons

We've started to see a bit of play in our starboard rudder. It can 'wiggle' a few millimeters from side to side when shaken vigorously under the hull - the port side does not move at all.

Has anyone replaced the bearings on their rudders or experienced similar problems? I think the bearings are simple plastic sheaves, and I'm guessing that the bottom bearing has worn a little and is now allowing some play (which I guess will allow more wearing & continually worsen until fixed?).

This is on a 2009 Lagoon 420.

Thanks for any help.
POH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 05:34   #2

Boat: secondarily boatless
Re: Rudder Bearings - Lagoons

I've just had mine replaced. The parts to be replaced are simple plastic inserts to the actual bearing and not expensive at all.

The problem is that you need to either have a diver or get the boat out of the water, otherwise there's no way to change them...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:39   #3

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

do the rudders float ? my old Beneteau did have rudder that did float, i could remove it while at sea, and reinstall it the same way. And maybe they are made the same way, as its a Beneteau/Lagoon. ? the teflon bearing inside a brass ring is the same.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18   #4
POH

I have it on good authority that they do float ... but our repairs couldn't have been made in the water.

I've posted some photos of the rudder stocks & bearings, and our repairs, on our blog here: Why knot?: Grenada Marine - Trading Views...

The top of the rudder is held in place by two brackets, with a bolt key through the stocks that fits into the forward bracket. Under this there is a ring that sits atop the fiberglass casing the rudder rests in, and again has a bolt that goes through the rudder. Under this is the Delrin top ring/bearing, with the bottom bearing being the brass one in the photos.

If I was going to try to take the rudder out in the water, I would definitely set up our sea drogue under it ... just in case it didn't float!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47   #5

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Yes looks just like the one on my old Beneteau, they are very strong. and easy to repair.
Nice blogg.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Take a real close look when you wiggle the rudder to see if the bearing holders are moving before you replace the bearings. Its a bit early for your bearings to get that sloppy, and it only is one of the two rudders.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14   #7
POH

Thanks Don ... if you look at the blog, you'll see that the bottom bearing (brass that wraps the stainless rings on the rudder) bonds had separated from the fiberglass housing, allowing it to rotate/vibrate. Just needed to re-bond it, but would have allowed continual play & worsened over time.

In hindsight, probably something that I would have lived with until the next haul out in normal situations, but since we are about to cross the Pacific, better to fix now!

Tags
rudder