Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 08:43   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Double Anchor Roller For Lagoons

I'm seeking out any innovative ideas for installing a double anchor roller onto a Lagoon 450. The space within the factory standard forward bow support beam, where the single anchor roller is, doesn't allow for a second anchor roller to be fitted. I suppose a solution is to install a 2nd single roller onto the bow cross beam but then running the chain rode back to the existing windlass isn't and ideal layout.

Are there any Lagoon cruisers out there who have managed to install their 2nd bow anchor with good success and can share?

Thanks
Steve
L450

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3615084790.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	60057
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:11   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Double Anchor Roller For Lagoons

I suggest you reconsider whether 2 anchors from bow rollers is a functional practice. Most think it is not. If I had a second roller--and I do have the room--it would remain empty.
Old 28-04-2013, 10:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I suggest you reconsider whether 2 anchors from bow rollers is a functional practice. Most think it is not. If I had a second roller--and I do have the room--it would remain empty.
Is your philosophy then to keep your 2nd or spare anchor stored away in the the of...? Please explain. Thanks
Old 28-04-2013, 12:18   #4

Boat: secondarily boatless

Steve,

I agree with the previous answer. An anchor on the bow roller is already a significant weight very far up front. I have got two rollers, but only one holds an anchor under normal conditions. If I feel I need the second anchor, I use the other roller, and since it is on a chain with rope attached, the rope will come through the roller. Under normal conditions the spare anchor is in the anchor locker, much farther aft than on the bow.

Lots of luck...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:57   #5

Boat: PT-11

+1 with Thinwater. He was kind enough to respond to a thread of mine on another forum going a step further and asking how you would actually deploy two anchors from a cat. Think it through. Its not gonna be easy and certainly not gonna be done enough to justify the surgery to put another roller up there.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:11   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
+1 with Thinwater. He was kind enough to respond to a thread of mine on another forum going a step further and asking how you would actually deploy two anchors from a cat. Think it through. Its not gonna be easy and certainly not gonna be done enough to justify the surgery to put another roller up there.
Dont want to derail your thread here, but you can in fact set multiple anchors on a cat.

Although I do agree that unless you foresee doing it often its probably not worth the surgery. You can always just walk a secondary forward (or aft) from the locker when needed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:24   #7

No doubt it can be done, but the issue is whether it would ever be worth it. What is your technique?
Old 28-04-2013, 15:05   #8

Boat: Lagoon 37

I am with the crowd, I have an extra roller but never used it but once, for a Bahamian Moor. Never again it was a bitch to raise!!! One of those lesson you tend to remember
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 15:35   #9

Quote:
No doubt it can be done, but the issue is whether it would ever be worth it. What is your technique?
Not something you need that often in most cruising venues, but sure is handy when you do.

Not much different than a mono really...except for bridles if needed.

Two off the bow in tight quarters.... In my case I do have two bow rollers next to each other on the forward beam so makes this much easier. You could always just add the roller on a Lagoon and stow the secondary anchor further aft if worried about the weigth forward (Ive seen a number of cats set up this way). W'out a second roller the challenge becomes not scuffing up the forward beam. Good foredeck hardware helps (big cleats etc...which many cats lack). If well protected, like a tight mangrove lagoon, then no need to rig a bridle.

If situation warrants rigging a bridle on the secondary then you can do so w docklines and rolling hitches if you dont have a second bridle w chain hooks.

Bahamian Moor....Bow and Stern...again... much like a mono...w the exception of bridles if needed.
Old 28-04-2013, 15:37   #10

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, or at least a tangled mess.
Old 28-04-2013, 15:59   #11

Quote:
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, or at least a tangled mess.
Multiple anchors whether on mono or a cat can of course be a pain, but do sometimes suit the situation...like anchoring in a narrow cut....or keeping your bow into the swell when wind and seas are not aligned.

Another good reason to have that second roller is so that you can more conveniently drop a different type of anchor/rode combination if you primary is not working out.

Having that second roller also makes it easier to set and retrieve two in-line anchors ("two off the head") which makes a big difference in holding power w out the potential complications of two rodes. Good configuration if you're expecting a blow.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55   #12

Thanks for the inputs. I will be placing my 2nd anchor (30kg Delta) in the hold with spare rode and the main (Rocna 25kh) in the prime position and remain with the single roller.
Old 17-06-2013, 16:57   #13

As it works out, I've needed to use two anchors twice this cruising season (first time in several seasons though).

Once, in a very nice little anchorage (southern Coco Banderos in San Blas, Panama) with limited swing room. And a few days ago because a couple of fin keel monos anchored a bit too close and we swung very differently at anchor....especially when the wind and current picked up 180d opposed.