Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2011, 14:04   #16

re: Wish I Had Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
Found a picture for you. Hope it helps.
Interesting, but two things. One, if I had too much momentum, my boat would either break the line or pull over the piling. (The wind pushed my Alberg so hard against a piling once in Deltaville VA that it snapped off. Thank you solid glass 1966 Alberg Hull and BoatUS insurance).
And two, I have to go stern in or it is very difficult to get on and off the boat (at the bow), much less haul gear on and off, as the finger pier is so short.

Interesting idea though.

Actually, now that I think about it, I could run lines (3/4") from the front bollards to cleats on the pier and make a funnel. That would keep the stern from sliding over into the neighbors yard. Trick would be to keep the line height at at just below the toe rail. I may try that. Thanks
Old 25-06-2011, 14:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sounds like you made a stubborn choice to stick to the same dock that doesn't work for you. Just suffer on then.........i2f
Well, there is not a lot of choice in my area. Are you telling me you would move 50 miles away and pay double the money to get a slip where you could easily single hand in any wind?
And believe me, I don't suffer (at least not since I retired).
With four hands I am fine.
Old 25-06-2011, 14:29   #18
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37

I feel your pain!

Last year I was in a slip that at anything but slack tide and no wind got my blood pressure rising. Fortunately for me I was able to relocate and now I have an easy out solo or with help. This is suppose to be fun!!!!!!!!

I dont recall the OP ask for anything but crew so I hope he finds someone this weekend and has a great sail.

The responses to this thread somewhat amuse me. All the OP asked for was some crew to help out. What he got was everything from....... you should be able to handle a boat that size........ set up your boat for single handing........ set your slip up better....... move your boat.

I respect the OP for making a choice based on his confort level reguarding the safty of his vessel as well as those around him. Others might not make the same one but they are not in comand of his vessel.

Anyway..... OP hope you get out and have a great sail!
Old 25-06-2011, 14:44   #19

Boat: Seafarer 26
There was no disrepect intended on my part.
Old 25-06-2011, 14:53   #20
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37

Dkdoyle,

I dont think most people were being disrespectful (at least not how I read it). I found your slip technique interesting and Im glad you found something that works for you.
Old 25-06-2011, 16:43   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Anything over 12-15 knots (cross wind or NW to W wind) is tough for my slip. The wind will push the stern into the boat in the next slip while I am getting the bow lines (slip is stern in, bow front). The slip is tight
I don't know much about slips because I never get near a marina, but Evans Strzinger on this forum wrote an excellent article about solo docking in Cruising World. You can find it on their site.

If you can work a fool-proof way --- lets say, Wind-proof way of getting in and out of the berth that would open your weekends up

Maybe try some tricks with someone on the boat/wharfe to help only if you really need it? Maybe someone else can show you some trick?
Maybe some extra bit of equipment to help (like those sticks that hold the lines out over your boat as you enter, etc)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 25-06-2011, 17:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW View Post
I feel your pain!

Last year I was in a slip that at anything but slack tide and no wind got my blood pressure rising. Fortunately for me I was able to relocate and now I have an easy out solo or with help. This is suppose to be fun!!!!!!!!

I dont recall the OP ask for anything but crew so I hope he finds someone this weekend and has a great sail.

The responses to this thread somewhat amuse me. All the OP asked for was some crew to help out. What he got was everything from....... you should be able to handle a boat that size........ set up your boat for single handing........ set your slip up better....... move your boat.

I respect the OP for making a choice based on his confort level reguarding the safty of his vessel as well as those around him. Others might not make the same one but they are not in comand of his vessel.

Anyway..... OP hope you get out and have a great sail!
I have been sailing for over 40 years and can handle the boat just fine, and the boat is set up for single handing. DKDoyle had a good idea which I will investigate. Might be able to keep the stern fairly centered while I am 40' away on the bow.
I forgot to mention (and didn't think it pertinent) that the boats on either side of me are owned by yuppie lawyers who sit in the cockpit with cocktails, and they get very snippy when an old groddy sailor with a 35 yr old boat even gets close to their shiny new boats. They do often have good eye candy on deck though.Maybe I'm watching the wrong stern.

I will be out tomorrow.

To the SF guy. Wish I had 20-25knots every day.
Old 25-06-2011, 17:37   #23
SKI

Boat: none yet

Redcobra I would love to give you a hand on sunday. I don't have any sailing experience but power boating experience and I would love to learn some and im sure I could crank winches and help you dock. Im a 34 yr old guy in good shape. If your interested let me know I would be greatful for the experience. Im about 4 hr from you but I am free sunday and don't mind the drive
Old 25-06-2011, 18:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
Redcobra I would love to give you a hand on sunday. I don't have any sailing experience but power boating experience and I would love to learn some and im sure I could crank winches and help you dock. Im a 34 yr old guy in good shape. If your interested let me know I would be greatful for the experience. Im about 4 hr from you but I am free sunday and don't mind the drive
Thank you so much. However, after checking the weather
.Tonight...Nw winds 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.
.Sun...W winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.
.Sun night...S winds around 5 kt. Waves 1 ft.
The way the front is clocking around, there ain't gonna be much sailin, more like floatin...
It would be a shame for you to drive 8 hrs to bob around in the bay. It would give you a poor idea of what sailing is like.
I will keep your name on my list and give you a shout for the future when there is some actual sailing to do.
Tomorrow would make you wish for a power boat.

on the other hand I won't have any trouble getting into the slip.
Old 25-06-2011, 18:56   #25
SKI

Boat: none yet

Thanks alot for keeping me in mind for the future. I'm typically free every saturday and sunday if you find yourself needing an extra set of hands. Mike
Old 26-06-2011, 04:41   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Yes, I would move. I would do what ever it takes to allow me to sail when I want to. Best wishes on finding crew.The lawyers are nothing but another good reason to keep up your insurance, and keep sailing out of the slip as you wish if you refuse any other option......i2f

Tags
crew