Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2011, 20:17   #1

Wish I Had Crew

It's going to be a beautiful weekend and I am crewless. Usual crew is out of town.

Anyone near Towson or Baltimore want to go sailing on the Chesapeake Tomorrow (Saturday) or Sunday.

ZigZag is just a little too hard to handle for one person if the wind pipes up.
Old 25-06-2011, 04:20   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
re: Wish I Had Crew

This is why I started single-handing. I got tired of no shows, and eating my lunch at the dock. Maybe it's time to rig Zig Zag for single-handing if she is a handful. What makes her a handful?........i2f
Old 25-06-2011, 04:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Wish I Had Crew

Should be able to solo a 39ftr... is it lack of lines back to the cockpit... no autopilot... but yes...
As i2f says... no real reason for not soloing unless its health related....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 25-06-2011, 04:48   #4

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Try some of the crewing sites.. floatplan seems hugely popular in teh US
Old 25-06-2011, 05:36   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Just take her out under Jib and Jigger. I take U D out all the time by myself, especially when checking out newly installed systems. No distractions while putting boat thru her paces.

Go out and have a nice quiet sail.
Old 25-06-2011, 06:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
This is why I started single-handing. I got tired of no shows, and eating my lunch at the dock. Maybe it's time to rig Zig Zag for single-handing if she is a handful. What makes her a handful?........i2f
My problm is getting her back into the slip in a blow without beating her against the bollards or pier. Other than that I can single hand her fine.
(It's also nice to have a young strong back to winch up the full batten Main)
I am thinking of getting on of those "winch buddy" things to put up the main.
Everything is run to the cockpit.
I normally take my son , sometimes with his friends, and they just sit and yak while I do all the sailing. They are kinda like automatic winches and fenders, "pull that, hold that, keep the boat off that pole."
Old 25-06-2011, 07:19   #7

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

I wouldnt run out on ya if I lived closer.

All my ex military friends say its the no shows who make life tough and theres so many of them.

Try rigging for solo, it'll be worth it
Old 25-06-2011, 12:33   #8
Eternal Member

How much wind do you consider a blow? I have never sailed your area. Every summer day it's guaranteed to do 25-35 knots on S.F. Bay. Lots of bumpers, and thought will get youin safely. First time I single-handed I sailed into the slip. I was too nervous to drop the sails in the marina alone. After that it was nothing to go out alone........i2f
Old 25-06-2011, 13:02   #9

Quote:
How much wind do you consider a blow? I have never sailed your area. Every summer day it's guaranteed to do 25-35 knots on S.F. Bay. Lots of bumpers, and thought will get youin safely. First time I single-handed I sailed into the slip. I was too nervous to drop the sails in the marina alone. After that it was nothing to go out alone........i2f
Anything over 12-15 knots (cross wind or NW to W wind) is tough for my slip. The wind will push the stern into the boat in the next slip while I am getting the bow lines (slip is stern in, bow front). The slip is tight (I use two bow, two stern, and two springs) and there are new fat 40' Hunters and Catalinas (who never go out) next to me. The slip has two cleats on the pier, a short finger pier on port, and two shared bollards 45' from the pier. I have tried getting the stern lines first, but then the bow (with anchor roller) swings into the neighbor. Someone needs to fend off the stern while I tie the bow, or vice versa. I have tried backing straight in, laying against a bollard and pivoting in (must remember to clear the mizzen boom), etc.
Sailing into the slip would be a catastrophe unless you used the motor for a brake. I have sailed up to the slip and lain against the outer bollards, but that ain't in. The wind can push me at 2 knots under bare poles, and 18,000 lbs. has a lot of mo.
And naturally when I go by myself is when the wind pipes up the most and is always blowing 45 to 90 deg to the slip. To be honest, I am more concerned with damaging the neighbors than my boat.

Once when I soloed and it was blowing 20 knots at the slip (It can blow as hard as it wants when I am sailing), I anchored in the river until the wind died down at dusk and then went into the slip.

Sometimes it's just not worth all the effort and nerves getting back in for just a day sail.
Old 25-06-2011, 13:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This is the exact same situation which has gotten me into the two boat dilemma- I use the big boat for big long sails and the little one to go solo. Now I have got double the maintenance (the little one is in my driveway awaiting painting, bright work etc, and they both get sailed less.
Possible solution: selling the smaller one, and putting my Valiant on a mooring, which will be much easier to get in and off of.
But it is not as convenient- and I am back to square one.
Old 25-06-2011, 13:40   #11

Boat: Seafarer 26
Completely understand. Even though my boat is only 26 ft i have the same issues. Things i have learned and done to improve the issue -
put a bumper on a v to catch the bow. Works really great. Two lines that goes from the same bow dock cleats to a large bumper. Secure two more lines to the bumper and take the aft to side pilings. Pretty much acts as a catchers mit to help keep you lined up. I also rig lines from each aft piling to mid piling or dock. In practice this works great. You grab the stern line coming in to slow yourself and also hook the line between pilings with your book hook. That keeps you from drifting into anyone. Takes some practice but works well. I started usimg the bow v this year to make it easier to leave the dock by myself when the wind was on the beam.
Best of luck, Deb
Old 25-06-2011, 13:43   #12
Eternal Member

I wasn't advising you to sail into the slip. I was describing my own anxiety. If the wind is consistant then move to another slip, or marina. I have had up, down, cross wind slips, and you just have to adjust, or move.

I had the same delima with a cross wind slip, and a brand new fat beautiful Bene 20 years ago. After nearly hitting him twice coming in, I moved to another marina. All the slips there were cross wind.

There is a teaching video for your approach, that I find useful.....i2f

Sailing Lessons, Sailboat Docking and Anchoring
Old 25-06-2011, 13:52   #13

Boat: Seafarer 26
Found a picture for you. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2611218258.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	28953  
Old 25-06-2011, 13:57   #14

Quote:
I wasn't advising you to sail into the slip. I was describing my own anxiety. If the wind is consistant then move to another slip, or marina. I have had up, down, cross wind slips, and you just have to adjust, or move.

I had the same delima with a cross wind slip, and a brand new fat beautiful Bene 20 years ago. After nearly hitting him twice coming in, I moved to another marina. All the slips there were cross wind.

There is a teaching video for your approach, that I find useful.....i2f

Sailing Lessons, Sailboat Docking and Anchoring
Slips in Middle River off the Chesapeake are at a premium and I live 16 minutes from my boat so I'm not leaving there. There are no vacant slips there either. I have been in the same slip for nearly 25 yrs. Not so bad with a Cape Dory 25 or an Alberg 30, or even a Cal 29, but I find the Pearson 39 yawl a bit more of a handful.

Yeah, yeah. Seen that video. Been there done that. My "docking platform" as they call it, or finger pier is only 3' long. I'd kill for a full lenght one like in the example. That would make it a piece of cake.

Thanks though.
Old 25-06-2011, 14:02   #15
Eternal Member

Sounds like you made a stubborn choice to stick to the same dock that doesn't work for you. Just suffer on then.........i2f

Tags
crew