Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 21:57   #1

San Diego to Japan

Hello,

My wife and I are finalizing a purchase of a 2002 Beneteau 331. We currently live in Japan and the Sailboat is located in San Diego. I personally have never done a trip on this kind of scale and would like some advice and routes possible. I am imagining that it would be a San diego to Hawaii and then some misc islands to Japan. I would hope to find a well experienced Captain to assist me in making the voyage to Japan.

I will be licensed in Japan on October 19 and Imagine the voyage would take place possibly around september if the weather permits.

If interested please send a PM and we can discuss it further.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 21-08-2011, 07:31   #2

Boat: looking
Re: San Diego to Japan

Glenn,
any chance you're taking the test in Kansai on the 19th? If so, I'll be there too.

Wish I could join you for your trip across the pacific. Best of luck with that. Sounds super fun! How long are planning on taking?
Old 21-08-2011, 11:36   #3

OsakaJoe,
Japan offers the operator's permit test 2 times a year October and April. Tokyo and Okinawa.

I will be there oct. 19 for the test in Tokyo.

I am trying to recruit Bill for the pacific passage to Japan.. Don't know how keen he is on that given his Age. But I am looking for an experienced Captain to Plan and sail with me.
Old 21-08-2011, 12:23   #4

Glenn,
I hate to be a fear-monger, but...
What about the earthquake/tsunami debris? Is it not as voluminous & wide-spread as I've heard? I'm heading south from Hawaii to get to the Southern Philippines, which is a bonus, more than a delay. But, you've got to head right through some of that stuff, don't you? I'm asking for my own education, only, as I'm sure you've given this some thought.
Old 21-08-2011, 12:33   #5

Has anyone ever seen this Debris field zone plotted on a map? Has there been efforts for it to be tracked? Has it been publicized by any govt or organization? I hope that it is and there is some factual Data. I have not found any.

Does anyone know.

I worked in Sendai area as a Emergency response Doctor after the Tsunami. What i saw and worked in was Biblical.

However, people just cant make offhanded comments about the "supposed Debris zone" without providing relevant facts about its position. These type of rumors are creating the atmosphere that all of the pacific is unsafe.

So where is it?
Old 21-08-2011, 13:08   #6

That is a long Delivery. To sail will take alot of time as you need to wait for storm seasons to end.

Sailing to Hawaii first step.
Then you could motor across the Pacific in the Doldrums-somewhat crazy and expensive.

Or Drop down to trade winds in Southern hemisphere, Across beautiful Pacific then up to Japan.

Other option put yacht on a ship.

Best of luck
Micky
Old 21-08-2011, 13:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennJapan View Post
Has anyone ever seen this Debris field zone plotted on a map? Has there been efforts for it to be tracked? Has it been publicized by any govt or organization? I hope that it is and there is some factual Data. I have not found any.

Does anyone know.

I worked in Sendai area as a Emergency response Doctor after the Tsunami. What i saw and worked in was Biblical.

However, people just cant make offhanded comments about the "supposed Debris zone" without providing relevant facts about its position. These type of rumors are creating the atmosphere that all of the pacific is unsafe.

So where is it?
That's why I told you that I was asking, for my own education. There are videos on Youtube, much to google &, apparently, the U.S. & Japanese governments are assessing the situation to determine if they can destroy some of the debris "islands". I'll try to find a link to it for you. A naval architect friend of mine is with a shipyard in Japan & has told me about some of the devastation. My concern would be less about what I could see & more about what is laying at, or below the surface.

Dangerous Minds | Massive islands of floating debris from Japan’s tsunami heading across Pacific Ocean

Strongest Ever Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

Japanese rubbish | Tropic Post

Researchers track tsunami debris across the Pacific Ocean - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home
Old 21-08-2011, 13:32   #8

Some reasonable(?) estimation:
Japan
Debris from Japanese tsunami steadily drifting toward California - San Jose Mercury News
Old 21-08-2011, 13:37   #9

Good info! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully more publicized advisories will come out.
Old 21-08-2011, 13:42   #10

Mickey's right.
You're probably best dividing the trip into 2 legs; hawaii and japan.
motoring sucks, but may be a necessary evil.

The suggestion about putting her on a container has value. You might also consider hiring a captain/ delivery service... and taking ownership here.

ps. what kind of electronics are aboard her already? What do you plan on getting?

Tags
Japan, san diego