Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 03:34   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPierre
Panama canal transit

Arriving Panama 19th Feb 2014 and looking for experience line handling on canal transit in either direction.

I have my own Catamaran at Taboga - just off the coast at Panama - and will be looking for line handlers myself later, but want some experience of taking a yacht through the canal first.

I am retired but fit and able to keep up with most of the youngsters these days! Just can't do the acrobatics so well now.

Anyone looking for a willing and able hand?
Old 29-12-2014, 05:21   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Panama canal transit

We are 6 miles away from you in the La Playita anchorage on the other side of the Canal. There is a 8am radio net on Ch 72 each morning except Sundays.

4 new boats came into the anchorage since Xmas and I will announce your availability on the net. If you have a phone send me the number to help communications.

The net covers Balboa and La Brisas anchorages too so I am sure you will get a ride.

From the other side the Dock master at Shelter Bay marina is a northern Brit by the name of John Halle and if you call him he may be able to get you a ride.

A German boat by the name of Taitonga is coming over to Taboga today, they have an aluminium sloop, and I told them to look out for you...Christian and Dagmar speak better English than a Scouse! or a Gordie!

My boat is SSR registered and I am from York ( founded AD 78 by the Romans) , my wife is from new fangled place call New York!

Happy New Year.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 29-12-2014, 05:42   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

There is a linehandler list and boat list here. Not sure how up to date it is.
Panama Line Handler - Intro
Old 29-12-2014, 06:20   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPierre

You don't know how many laughs that gave us Phil! Telll you why in private when we meet (if we do!)

My boat is Somnio (Lagoon 380) - on the buoy off Taboga towards the South end of the bay. Hope to be on board morning of the 20th Jan - provided I get up early enough to catch the ferry.

I have only just bought Somnio - she was called Caro 1 and on the buoy in Las Brisas until the end on November.

Took a trip to Las Perlas just before returning to the UK for Christmas, but didn't have any wind either direction - so gave the motors a good test.

Was going to make a comment about Germans, Scousers and Geordies, but know too many of them to live that dangerously!

Hope to meet you all soon.

Have a great New Year!

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal