Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 22:05   #1

Boat: Farr 38
Adelaide North Up East Coast to Sydney

Skipper seeking competent crew with previous offshore sailing experience to join 40ft. Farr "Farr Out" a comfortable cruising monohull yacht leaving Adelaide in mid-March 2014 to sail east and north to Sydney then farther up the East coast.
Crew will be required to contribute to on-board living expenses and provide their own safety and weatherproof gear. To express interest please reply with a brief CV of your sailing experience and personal details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-01-06 01.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	74072  
Old 25-01-2014, 01:27   #2

Re: Adelaide north up East Coast to Sydney

Hi Peter, I am a 53 yo guy who lives on the Sunshine Coast, Qld. For the last couple of years I have been sailing on a friend's 48' Fountaine Pajot catamaran out of Mooloolaba. I plan on buying my own monohull in the near future so I'm keen to get some more offshore sailing in.
I work away, 3 weeks on and one week off so I'd like to think I could fit in to your east coast plan - I could meet you anywhere and sail for up to a week. I am an old Adelaide boy and did sail from Port Lincoln to Adelaide a few years ago. I see your post has had 121 views and no replies! That must be a little frustrating. Anyway, let me know if this could fit in with your plans. Cheers, Michael
Old 27-01-2014, 03:40   #3

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for several crew members who might have more significant off shore experience than you describe and who might be willing to sign on for the entire trip. As you mention this thread has attracted many viewers but few takers. Quite puzzling.

Cheers

Peter Mc
Old 27-01-2014, 23:08   #4

Boat: Bristol Chanel Cutter 28'

Pete, can't crew for you but I've been sailing the south coast of NSW for 20 years so if you haven't sailed there before and need any tips, don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards Cocosshane
Old 28-01-2014, 00:36   #5

What a generous offer thanks for your reply. Nope I have not been further north than Melbourne yet so any local knowledge and tips would be most useful. I am particularly interested in stuff to avoid, what can be expected regarding tides and current around the April period and of course the best anchorages. Perhaps you know of a web site where this stuff is already available?

Cheers

Peter Mc
Old 28-01-2014, 00:57   #6

The Alan Lucas book on cruising the NSW Coast is invaluable, have just sailed down from Pittwater to Sydney and used the advice in the book constantly. Plan on going from Melbourne of Refuge Cove on Wilson's Promontory to Eden direct.
Old 28-01-2014, 01:28   #7

Hi Pete, I have done most ports from Davenport up. I've been told Refuge Cove off Wilsons Prom is very good but I never sailed there. I will leave that advice to our friends from Victoria. One port in Victoria which is always subject to some controversy but I like quite a lot is Lakes Entrance. Watch for a Lee shore but if you are travelling not to far off shore and need a break its a great town with very good facilities. I was bashing to Windward laye last year whilst travelling South and took a break there from the SW. We went in on the top of the tide with no problems. Great Town, marina right in the heart of everything, great breakfast. I agree the Alan Lucas book cruising the NSW Coast is a must have. I have anchored off Gabo island in a very strong NE and found it nice and calm on the south side, but the holding not great. When you get past Gabo heading north, the current can come in quite close, so stay close to the coast watching your charts for the odd reef. Generally the south coast of NSW has a lot of rock platforms and cliffs so the water can be quite deep in close, just make sure your navigation and mark one eye ball is up to scratch. I probably sit between 2-4 nm off shore. Eden is a good port with a good Fishermans Club and facilities. You can tie up on the jetty and then talk to the local warf manager about your length of stay (he has never charged me but I understand there may now be a small fee). Bermagui is probably worth a visit. You enter via a river mouth, staying on your leads and if in doubt come in on the high tide. Again nice town, plenty to do. Next up is Narooma, great town but arguably one of the worst bars in Australia. The locals who navigate it regularly are your best source of advice, but generally I would give it a miss particularly if it is breaking. (Which it regularly does). Moruya further is navigatable, its a river mouth, but the bar breaks, and the town is a fair way upstream. Batemans Bay is good, with good facilities, marina, showers, fuel and the bar was recently dredged. As with any bar wait until the tide is right. There is good holding behind Square Head which is Bay side of the bar if you have to wait. Next is Ulludulla, again a good port, but stay on your leads and watch out for the bombee. If you need advice re ports further north let me know. Generally the NSW Volunteer rescue service are very helpful and will keep an eye on you tracking. They do get a bit grumpy if you don't radio in or advise you made port. The wind in April will probably be SE or NE. You may get lucky and get a Westerly or Easterly. The weather generally runs in a pattern SE for a few days then NE for a few days. You should see a lot of whales in April so bring a camera. Generally after Ulludulla I drop into Jervis Bay, then Wollongong then Sydney, but Greenwell Point and Kiama are also viable. Hope this little snap shot helps. As always shout yourself the right charts, and the Alan Lucas book and you will have a great sail north. Regards Cocosshane
Old 28-01-2014, 03:22   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McNamara View Post
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for several crew members who might have more significant off shore experience than you describe and who might be willing to sign on for the entire trip. As you mention this thread has attracted many viewers but few takers. Quite puzzling.

Cheers

Peter Mc

Don't worry Peter, they are just trying to figure out where Adelaide is before they commit.

Matt
Old 28-01-2014, 03:35   #9

Mighty fine advice thank you so much for the time and effort to type all that, will no doubt be in touch. I was fortunate to receive the Alan Lucas book for Queensland from my daughter for a Chrissie present and sounds like the NSW volume is also a must have.
Cheers
Peter Mc
Old 28-01-2014, 03:37   #10

I must say I had heard the yachtie fraternity was a strong force if this is the quality of support I can expect on my travels north sounds like I will be in good company. many thanks for all your replies.
Peter Mc
Old 29-01-2014, 00:35   #11

Hi Pete, I share your grief re crew. Its the perennial problem and put an end to my YACHT racing. It also influenced my choice of the Bristol channel cutter as my cruising yacht as I wanted something reasonably simple to handle short handed. There is a couple of good yacht clubs in Adelaide, maybe put a notice on the notice boards you may find someone reasonably competent. Also you may find someone who is new to sailing but reasonably enthusiastic. If so, give them plenty of trips in the gulf before you head to sea. You have some messy and big swells between you and Portland, no fun turning back at Kangaroo island. Good Luck, cocosshane
Old 30-01-2014, 03:43   #12

Boat: Kahn Walker Rebel 34

Hi Peter, I have a 34' cruising yacht that I will be sailing north in May this year, probably going to the same places you are but I will be taking a few months to do the trip. I would be happy to go as far as Sydney with you if you are interested. My contact is waynesocean@gmail.com
Old 15-02-2014, 14:21   #13

Hi Peter,

I would be keen to join your journey. I live in Sydney and would be available to sail for up to a couple weeks and can come fly out to meet you near the end of March.

I've raced Adams 10s in Middle Harbour the past three years. I've rented numerous yachts in Sydney and sailed Greece and Sicily on 34 and 46ft yachts with only my ex-partner and I.

I'm an easy going 36yo, funny (if I do say so myself) professional who's highly motivated to get more miles under my belt. I'm also a pretty solid chef

Please feel free to call me to discuss if it sound like I'd be a good match for the journey. Cheers! Cathy:+61 411377186
Old 01-03-2014, 23:33   #14

Hi Pete,
I wanted to follow-up on my previous post. I'm free to sail for up to two weeks from mid-April. I've lived in Sydney for the past five years and have done some offshore sailing around here but am super keen to do more.
So while I haven't been on the boat up and down the coast, I have traveled to most of the towns and can lend that knowledge towards navigation. And I'm very serious about wanting to join a voyage and am happy to fly to meet you wherever is most convenient!! And if you are in Sydney by then, I recommend mooring in the harbour near where I live in Manly spin can show you around

Feel free to call me on 0411377186 or email me on cathylawsin@hotmail.com to discuss further. Cheers!!! Cathy
Old 09-03-2014, 13:16   #15

Boat: Crowther, buccaneer, 33'

Sounds like a nice trip so that cant be the reason for crew not responding. Maybe its because you dont say anything about yourself? Its a big step for crew to respond when they dont know if who you are, what you stand for, or even if you have sailed before.

So maybe a bit more about yourself would encourage takers.

Just a thought.

Tags
east coast, sydney