Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 10:49   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: It never hurts to ask..

Oh, one thing about marina bay, when your coming from 80 east, the cutting exit is the fastest way to marina bay, as 80 does not tie direct to 580. Cutting Ave. takes you through Richmond proper (IE the HOOD!), and is not a place you want to break down at.

Safe enough during the day, but I would not do it at night. That's the one down side. Getting to from I80 east onto 580 is not doable. There is a 580 bypass you can take off 80, but it exits near the richmond/ San Rafael bridge and adds time to the trip. Though not a bad drive.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:00   #182

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: It never hurts to ask..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oh, one thing about marina bay, when your coming from 80 east, the cutting exit is the fastest way to marina bay, as 80 does not tie direct to 580. Cutting Ave. takes you through Richmond proper (IE the HOOD!), and is not a place you want to break down at.

Safe enough during the day, but I would not do it at night. That's the one down side. Getting to from I80 east onto 580 is not doable. There is a 580 bypass you can take off 80, but it exits near the richmond/ San Rafael bridge and adds time to the trip. Though not a bad drive.

Oh boy, I don't miss this. Sounds like a skit from SNL.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:21   #183

Boat: looking again
Quote:

Thanks for your advice SailorChic! I don't want to be stuck in the hood, lol. I always thought Richmond was the scariest town in the bay besides Oakland. I like the Vallejo ferry area too. Where do you dock? Maybe we can be neighbors and share some wine soon!
Old 22-03-2013, 11:32   #184
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

BTW the reason the last guy got his walking papers was arrogance and mm is downright friendly. Both threads started out the same, but the other guy coped a attitude way early, and then was buried with it. I contributed early to both threads, but mostly watched the fireworks from the side.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:36   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
BTW the reason the last guy got his walking papers was arrogance and mm is downright friendly. Both threads started out the same, but the other guy coped a attitude way early, and then was buried with it. I contributed early to both threads, but mostly watched the fireworks from the side.
Well that and the fact I don't scare easily and like a challenge, haha!
Old 22-03-2013, 11:38   #186

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: It never hurts to ask..

That bare-chested mano-a-mano pic was a classic.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:54   #187

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
I will not respond to freaky sexual offers ..
which implies she will respond to non-freaky sexual offers, maybe that had something to do with it...

I'd stay out of Vallejo, too many freaky people, and Richmond is nice once you get through the hood, just don't have your car break down getting to it..
Benicia is a very pretty place, close to Sac, I recommend it, but then heck are you really in the sfbay? you can't see sf or the ggate bridge.
Berkeley Marina is good, the freaky people are nice there.

Consider a trailered sailboat and anchor it out for the couple days, then take it back home, then you can go to all these places and more, like all the lakes around too. Folsom lake is beautiful, have you been?

JackB
Old 22-03-2013, 12:11   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimichele View Post
Thanks for your advice SailorChic! I don't want to be stuck in the hood, lol. I always thought Richmond was the scariest town in the bay besides Oakland. I like the Vallejo ferry area too. Where do you dock? Maybe we can be neighbors and share some wine soon!
It's weird that the marina is less then a mile from the hood, but it was like night and day. Most of the knife and gun clubs stayed to the east side of 580. Plus the richmond police station is just down the street from the marina. Really I never had any problems there, though some folks had cars broken into. One Mercedes had its compete exhaust system stolen. That was interesting in a lighted parking lot a block from the police station.

Though a friend that moved to the emeryville marina found a dead body in the emeryville marina parking lot soon after, so its all relative. I think Richmond's marina bay is as safe as any other in the central bay area. OK alameda's marinas are probably safer and nicer. But even sausalito's marinas have strange folks walking around and not all of them are boaters either.....
Old 22-03-2013, 12:18   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh I'm a bit of a gypsy and spend a lot of time anchored out in the bay and Delta. I just stop into marina's now and then for gorcerys, laundry and a really long shower. I really am a boat Bum-ette...
Old 22-03-2013, 13:29   #190

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:

Thanks for the input. The more I'm on here, the more I'm leaning towards a sailboat. I really will only be on it probably 2 days a week and I won't need to be super comfy. I'm a life long camper and the sailboat just seems more fun I definitely will be considering marina bay in Richmond. I was trying to avoid bridge tolls with Vallejo and cut my drive time down a bit.
I've had both power and sail boats over the years. If you are on a budget and plan to actually take the boat out of the slip I would suggest a sailboat. Even under engine power they don't burn much fuel. We are close o $4/ gal here skid bet you guys are over $5 at the docks. I like to go out a lot and at those prices I'd have a dockominium. Things to think about.
SC
Old 22-03-2013, 14:04   #191

Quote:
Oh I'm a bit of a gypsy and spend a lot of time anchored out in the bay and Delta. I just stop into marina's now and then for gorcerys, laundry and a really long shower. I really am a boat Bum-ette...
I think that is awesome!
Old 22-03-2013, 14:05   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I've had both power and sail boats over the years. If you are on a budget and plan to actually take the boat out of the slip I would suggest a sailboat. Even under engine power they don't burn much fuel. We are close o $4/ gal here skid bet you guys are over $5 at the docks. I like to go out a lot and at those prices I'd have a dockominium. Things to think about.
SC
Docominium, I like that, lol
Old 23-03-2013, 19:45   #193

I got it! How do I post pics??? No, not for free. Well, so far it's free. I get to stay on it whenever I want for the price of paying $185 slip fee! The guy says he won't sell it out from under me and he is open to bartering for my truck if I decide I really want it. Do I photobucket some pics? Still new at this page. help?! I wanna show it off! Super stoked!
Old 23-03-2013, 19:56   #194

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
I got it! How do I post pics??? No, not for free. Well, so far it's free. I get to stay on it whenever I want for the price of paying $185 slip fee! The guy says he won't sell it out from under me and he is open to bartering for my truck if I decide I really want it. Do I photobucket some pics? Still new at this page. help?! I wanna show it off! Super stoked!
Congrats! what 'it' is it, and where?
I think you can upload pics, see "manage attachments". let me try it.. hey that works, this is from one of my yosemite visits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4943.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	57728  
Old 23-03-2013, 20:06   #195

where does it say manage attachments? sorry. I don't see it. In Oakland. right near the Starbucks.