Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 12:22   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Freaking Radar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
How high was this pole? I was thinking about mounting a tall pole and doing something very similar. Would say, an ~8' pole high enough sticking up aft of the cockpit?!

So I take it no radar would be useful to detect a floating shipping container or sleeping whale in the middle of an ocean at 2 'o clock in the morning?!!

I just got this Radar Detector[CIEL ET MARINE], to alert me of approaching commercial vessels when singlehanding, during long voyages.

Would the previously mentioned radar on eBay, uhh, going to be setting my detector off?

If I might make a suggestion. From the many posts and threads you have put out lately is looks like you are running full speed ahead buying gear and getting stuff for your cruise but with some very large gaps in your knowledge and understanding. At the same time you (like most of us) seem to be working on a limited budget and trying to get it together as cheaply as possible.

So maybe you should take a deep breath and slow down just a bit. Learn a little more about boats, equipment, navigation and all the hundreds of little details that go into a successful voyage and voyager. Then once you have a better understanding of whats what you can make a more informed decision on what you need and what you don't. You might save a little money and certainly have more and less

And no, radar will not detect anything in the water, under the water or floating at the surface. At best, as someone mentioned, you might see the waves breaking on a reef but unless it sticks up where you can see it and will reflect a radar signal it will not show on radar. Another place where just an hour or so learning will benefit you a lot. You don't need to be an engineer to learn what radar is, how it works and what it does and does not do.

So a couple of thoughts to leave you with

- Don't go off half cocked
- haste makes waste
Old 14-06-2013, 14:06   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound44 View Post
Dear Nomn,
A radar is useful in fog, and into the night.
A skilled navigator is going to find a lot more uses for radar than that. Radar can stand watch, even in broad daylight, and warn you anytime another vessel enters into your guard zone. It can quickly estimate the closest point of approach, and the time to CPA, of any target. It can show you rain squaws when they're not otherwise visible because of a marine layer. When the chart plotter indicates that a buoy is supposed to be in a given location, radar can confirm whether it's really there. With a MARPA system, it can tell you the course and speed of any target. It can tell you precisely how far you are from a given target.

If your chartplotter is based on inaccurate or outdated charts, radar will confirm the distance between reality and what the chart thinks.

Like to race? If you set the committee boat as a MARPA target, radar will calculate the exact time you'll cross the start line at your current speed. And you'll be able to tell the competition's speed relative to your own boat. Want to know exactly where the boat ahead of you tacked on the layline? Radar makes it easy if you know what you're doing.

If the radar is mast-mounted, it will be able to see over big swells, or even over breakwaters.

And yes, they're pretty handy in fog or at night as well.
Old 14-06-2013, 14:14   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I just got this Radar Detector[CIEL ET MARINE], to alert me of approaching commercial vessels when singlehanding, during long voyages.

Would the previously mentioned radar on eBay, uhh, going to be setting my detector off?
Yes, it's probably going to trigger the detector. These days an AIS receiver (or transponder) is probably a better bet for detecting commercial ships.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 14-06-2013, 19:08   #19

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
How high was this pole? I was thinking about mounting a tall pole and doing something very similar. Would say, an ~8' pole high enough sticking up aft of the cockpit?!
Yeah, our mount was about 8' high. You want the radar at least a couple feet above the highest point your head will be in the cockpit. We also made taut some line as braces to sturdy the mount, and would re-tighten every once in a while as needed to limit flexing. Don't forget the braces!!

Our situation then was a bit of a shoestring trip from NYC to Key West and back on a 37'er. We planned for a few months as best we could. We had a handful of overnight coastal trips under our belt at that point, but the way down was still definitely more about learning what not to do. We left in December and got down to Key West in January of '09, to the coldest weather the locals said they could remember in recent history. We were wearing the same clothes as when we left NYC! I recall our expenses were much more than we had planned for, mainly because we made so many dumb mistakes along the way.

Anyway, my unsolicited advice...get your **** together and make it happen, but get smart and then follow that line as best you can. Things will go wrong, and when they do you can take comfort and strength from knowing you prepped as best you could. The learning curve is pretty steep, so if you have at least the basics down and a general idea of what to do in a given situation, you'll learn fast and have a blast!
Old 14-06-2013, 19:18   #20

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Radar is line of sight. When you mount it on a pole instead of the mast its not going to work at its advertised distance for objects at sea level.
Old 14-06-2013, 19:50   #21

As with anything there is a learning curve,you will find out that radar is not the answer to it all and you will only find this out after you buy one , that it picks up big flat metal objects well but not soft low objects and you will have to learn this in good weather when you do not need it!!!!!!
Old 14-06-2013, 19:56   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Might be best to find out what all those little marks and numbers on the charts you should have, mean. And maybe do a little sailing in the daytime, in fair weather, before ya spend money on buying gear for a BIG Water cruise to Hawyee LOL You sound like a fine young man, maybe ya need to slow down a little and get the basics down pat, and you will have a better idea what type and brand of electronics you will need ! Just a thought
Old 14-06-2013, 20:10   #23
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I rely on my radar when singlehanding at night. I can see 20 min ahead quite clearly and turn on the watchman which turns on the radar at specified intervals, beeps and scans the area for a minute or two. On glassy water I can pick up a seabird on the water. Also can occasionally
help avoid rain squalls. One dark night I had an fishing boat turn on its lights when I was about 100' away on a collision course. They yelled at me for coming so close then turned off their lights after I passed. I run the radar always at night since. I give boats like that a full 2 million candle power spot now.
Old 15-06-2013, 05:28   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

A skilled navigator is going to find a lot more uses for radar than that. Radar can stand watch, even in broad daylight, and warn you anytime another vessel enters into your guard zone. It can quickly estimate the closest point of approach, and the time to CPA, of any target. It can show you rain squaws when they're not otherwise visible because of a marine layer. When the chart plotter indicates that a buoy is supposed to be in a given location, radar can confirm whether it's really there. With a MARPA system, it can tell you the course and speed of any target. It can tell you precisely how far you are from a given target.

If your chartplotter is based on inaccurate or outdated charts, radar will confirm the distance between reality and what the chart thinks.

Like to race? If you set the committee boat as a MARPA target, radar will calculate the exact time you'll cross the start line at your current speed. And you'll be able to tell the competition's speed relative to your own boat. Want to know exactly where the boat ahead of you tacked on the layline? Radar makes it easy if you know what you're doing.

If the radar is mast-mounted, it will be able to see over big swells, or even over breakwaters.

And yes, they're pretty handy in fog or at night as well.
I've yet to see a MARPA TCP accurate enough to be used in a race , MARPA performance is generally crisp on most small yachts.

Dave
Old 15-06-2013, 11:43   #25

Boat: CD 26D.

Okay, sweet.

So I've got a lot to learn. I accept that, and am working hard each day!

I've narrowed down my search to this one: GARMIN GPSMAP® 740s Chartplotter/Sounder with GMR 18HD Radome with No Transducer at West Marine

Is this a good one?

And dang, I feel like an idiot now wasting almost $750 on that radar detector if my own damn radar is just going to set it off.

Are you sure aft isn't the way to go? http://www.morganscloud.com/2008/04/...nner-position/ I mean is the difference really that much?!
Old 15-06-2013, 12:37   #26

Boat: Vancouver 27

Here's a nice little 18' Furuno, everything included (minus the mount) for $930 on eBay: Furuno 1712 Marine Radar with 18" Radome and All Cables | eBay

You see a lot of radars mounted on the mast and you see a lot of radars mounted aft. That morganscloud link lists some good reasons to mount aft, and they're certainly a trustworthy source. But there's gotta be an equally compelling list out there of good reasons to mount on the mast, too. Personally, I've only had aft mounted dars, and I've never considered I might be losing some performance. Much more of a performance factor is knowing how to use it!
Old 15-06-2013, 12:50   #27

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Had a buddy who had an open array radar on his powerboat, 4 watter as I recall... you could heat a cup of coffee on it! A seagull pooped in it one day... so much for dual usage! Phil
Old 15-06-2013, 14:28   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"wake me up when a massive ship is approaching?!!"
No, actually. Radar manufacturers are not allowed to enter a criminal conspiracy to keep a legally insufficient watch on board small craft. If you can't find a way to stand watch, you're crab food, and crabs are legally entitled to eat too.

(WEG)
Old 15-06-2013, 14:51   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
It would work, yes.

Quote:
And dang, I feel like an idiot now wasting almost $750 on that radar detector if my own damn radar is just going to set it off.
Not only that, but there are plenty of boats on the sea that don't have radar or don't use it all the time. I have come close to collision with sailboats twice (neither one was keeping a watch but I was) and neither of then had radar so the detector would have done you no good. Collision head on with a good sized sailboat wouldn't be like smacking a freighter but could sink your boat and most certainly would ruin your day.
Old 16-06-2013, 12:42   #30

Boat: CD 26D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
It would work, yes.

Not only that, but there are plenty of boats on the sea that don't have radar or don't use it all the time. I have come close to collision with sailboats twice (neither one was keeping a watch but I was) and neither of then had radar so the detector would have done you no good. Collision head on with a good sized sailboat wouldn't be like smacking a freighter but could sink your boat and most certainly would ruin your day.
So, the radar + AIS transponder/receiver would be the best option for getting some extended sleep.

Tags
radar