Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 11:04   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: Dinghy that rolls up and is light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I am looking for a dinghy that rolls up small and stores in a bag. Some people have recommended an older hypalon Avon dinghy.,,I looked up photos of those and they look great! Otherwise even smaller and lighter is good. I have the engine already, it is a 4hp and weighs under 40 pounds.

The dinghy really just needs to be able to hold that motor and up to two people and some gear.

Definitely would like a hypalon roll up inflatable from a company like Avon or Achilles from back when they were made in England and France. But I'm really not too picky, let me know what you've got.
We use a West Marine (Zodiac) RU-260 9' roll-up dinghy with a Torqueedo Travel 1003 electric motor.

Couldn't be happier with our setup. It doesn't plane, but for our tendering needs it's perfect. We roll it up and keep it in the shower (aka wet locker) underway, and then inflate it on the transom when we're anchored.

I made a charger for the motor that runs off of the boat's 12VDC CLA port, and it charges to full overnight. So we don't have to deal with two fuels at all and we never run out of stored fuel. When we add solar on an aft-arch it will have unlimited fuel.

The charge lasts for an entire day of tendering, probably about 6 miles overall but we've never run it down all the way. The Torqueedo easily gets the dinghy up to 5 knots, which is as fast as you'd want to motor through a mooring field anyway, if not faster.

The motor is lighter overall than any outboard, and it comes off in three pieces which makes it even lighter.

The bag is a lay-flat tarp with DD ring straps so you just lay it down, lay the dinghy on top of it, roll it up, and strap everything over. Then carry aboard. I can handle it myself, but I'm a pretty big guy. It's an easy two-person carry.

Comes with a patch kit. Because we store ours inside the boat, UV and barnacles will never be a problem, so PVC is preferable for its reparability.
Old 20-09-2015, 11:30   #17

Boat: Nauticat 32

We have a Mercury air deck dinghy. We seldom find the time and energy to pack it in its original bag, but we often inflate it and roll it around its own transom plate.
Old 20-09-2015, 16:37   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Check out Defender. They clearance inflatables & sometimes you can get a great deal. I saved $1,000 buying a '97 Avon 3.4 with an inflatable floor in '00. West Marine has their dinghies on sale about once a month. You can sign up with both companies to get emails of their sales.
Old 20-09-2015, 17:55   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Thanks. I got an older west marine that is in perfect condition, stored for years I guess. Made in France though, I think it looks better made than the newer Chinese ones.

Oh! That Avon red rest was my first dinghy and while I had a great time with it and it too was made well I hated it.

I bought it used and it hadNW Indian designs painted on it and the oars, I used it on my five month cruise on the ranger 23. Easy to pump up on deck and throw in the water. But rowed like crap. I always had guys blasting past me on their ribs which is why th next summer in the PNW I bought a planing rib and towed it the whole summer. It is the one I just sold.

Now I have what will probably be the best compromise. A roll up inflatable, but with a small and light two stroke engine.
Old 20-09-2015, 18:27   #20

Achilles on sale. See prices at Defender

http://www.defender.com/categoryBoat...282&id=1794288
Old 21-09-2015, 04:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I am looking for a dinghy that rolls up small and stores in a bag. Some people have recommended an older hypalon Avon dinghy.,,I looked up photos of those and they look great! Otherwise even smaller and lighter is good. I have the engine already, it is a 4hp and weighs under 40 pounds.

The dinghy really just needs to be able to hold that motor and up to two people and some gear.

Definitely would like a hypalon roll up inflatable from a company like Avon or Achilles from back when they were made in England and France. But I'm really not too picky, let me know what you've got.
We have a 2011 Tinker Tramp. Rolls to about 3x2x2' (fits in our Honda Accord's trunk). Excellent condition. Works with our Honda 5HP engine but a 4hp would be better. Made in England www.tinkerowners.org.uk. Comes with sailing rig, oars, bag and pump. Original cost $3,400 for dinghy and $2000 for sailing rig. Selling it for $1,800 plus shipping.
Old 25-09-2015, 08:36   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

North here ya go just what the Dr ordered
Roll up 8 foot inflatable Dinghy
Old 25-09-2015, 14:03   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaquel View Post
We have a 2011 Tinker Tramp. Rolls to about 3x2x2' (fits in our Honda Accord's trunk). Excellent condition. Works with our Honda 5HP engine but a 4hp would be better. Made in England www.tinkerowners.org.uk. Comes with sailing rig, oars, bag and pump. Original cost $3,400 for dinghy and $2000 for sailing rig. Selling it for $1,800 plus shipping.
I always thought the Tinker looked like a neat concept. How does it actually sail compared to a real sailboat?

Tags
dinghy