Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44   #76

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Re: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
By far THE BEST thing we did was in the initial set-up and preparation of our boat.... Before we departed, we were the laughing stock of the marina where we were kitting out our boat and doing all sorts of sea trials over a 2 year period, however, we now know from sharing and chatting to other sailors that this was DEFINITELY the secret to our successful VERY HAPPY sailing around the world experience.

...We see so many people out here on boats that are 'half set up' for this life style and wonder how they can be enjoying themselves.

So, whilst I admire a 'balance in your cautionary tale' for those who are 'Happy bloggers and sailors', I would encourage people to follow the dream but know that the pleasure lies in the choice of boat and the initial 'set-up' of the boat ... and for that, one needs to have sufficient funds available and the correct technical people to carry out the work. (Our brand new purchase catamaran took 2 years of fitting out)
Hey Impi - yes, you are definitely one of those Happy Bloggers! I enjoy keeping up with your travels. I think your words of advice on initial "kitting out" are brilliant, and your boat sounds quite luxurious. I know many sailors wouldn't require, or even want, such luxuries - and of course some of us can't afford them - but the set-up period that you're suggesting is when cruisers can figure out what kind of comforts and conveniences will allow them to be content.

One of the great features I remember reading about your boat is that you can run a small a/c unit in your stateroom at night without using the generator - that's so decadent! A great idea.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If you can't take the boat to where the buyers are - you need to take the advert.

For that I reckon Yachtworld has the best reach internationally, and to get on that you need a broker.
Yes, we might need to go this route --- and the idea of paying for delivery was definitely on our minds when we reduced our asking price. We'll see what happens. Mainly trying to weigh and balance time v. money, and tempering our growing enthusiasm for whatever will come next.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57   #78
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I think you should try advertising the boat in Australia. It seems like a lot of Aussies want to buy cats and sail them home where they are worth more.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers

Sell your own boat on www.apolloduck.com
You get an Ad with 1 picture for free... or a couple of other choices starting at around £45... good site with WW coverage and popular in the EU...

PS; no affiliation... other than as an occasional buyer/seller

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I think you should try advertising the boat in Australia. It seems like a lot of Aussies want to buy cats and sail them home where they are worth more.
We are in touch with three potential buyers from Down Under, so I think you might be right that our buyer is likely to come from that part of the world. Any recommendations for a FSBO website popular in Australia/New Zealand?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sell your own boat on www.apolloduck.com
Thanks Boatman 61, I am going to sign up there....
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41   #82

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I'm from New Zealand. Most boats here are sold on Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me but don't forget our dollar is only worth 78 cents and we have a 15% tax (GST) and 7.5% duty due on arrival. Similar in Oz but their dollar is worth more. Also we are 240 volt power so there are issues with US sourced boats.

I've really enjoyed reading your blog and quite agree with those that mentioned you've a great talent for writing. Nice to hear the other side of the cruise.

I wonder though whether you might share a few thoughts 'with hindsight'?

It sounded to me, for example, that your boat just has too many gadgets and of course with 2 motors (well 3 with the gen set) there are just soooo many things to break down (and many obviously did). If you had the chance to start over, what would you change?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:27   #83
Armchair Bucketeer

For finding OZ brokers / listing websites it might be worth a new thread in the CF multihull sub-forum (I have it on ignore, so no idea how busy it is nowadays - or whether OP has already!).
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I'm from New Zealand. Most boats here are sold on Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me but don't forget our dollar is only worth 78 cents and we have a 15% tax (GST) and 7.5% duty due on arrival. Similar in Oz but their dollar is worth more. Also we are 240 volt power so there are issues with US sourced boats.

I've really enjoyed reading your blog and quite agree with those that mentioned you've a great talent for writing. Nice to hear the other side of the cruise.

I wonder though whether you might share a few thoughts 'with hindsight'?

It sounded to me, for example, that your boat just has too many gadgets and of course with 2 motors (well 3 with the gen set) there are just soooo many things to break down (and many obviously did). If you had the chance to start over, what would you change?
Thanks for the NZ website - I'll check it out.

With a great deal of reflection, and to be brutally honest with ourselves... our problem is we're a bit too "refined" for the long-term cruising lifestyle - at least at our budget level. We have realized, now that we're out here, that we don't like to rough it, and we're not wild about manual labor and dirty fingernails.

Of course, the truly sensible way to do this is to buy the boat and learn to maintain and repair it before beginning to cruise. Get used to living on it, and decide what you need to be comfortable. This is what EVERYONE says is sensible.

If you can't be sensible: at the very least, have an exit strategy and don't bet more than you can afford to lose!

Hindsight - Arthur Miller said: "Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets." Ean and I - even though we may mock all the over-used sailing quotations - we threw off the damn bowlines, and 20 years from now, we'll be proud that we gave a try. We explored and discovered, or whatever.... We'll regret the things we did, instead of the things we didn't do, and we'll have great stories to tell when we're too old for adventuring.
Old 03-08-2013, 17:43   #85

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Jane,

Looking at all the stuff you have on board ... man ... I just can't believe no one has snapped up your boat yet .... I think its a bargain!

I am pretty sure your frustrations lie in the 'lack of technical knowledge' to keep everything going, and this I say VERY RESPECTFULLY! I was present when every system was installed so as to have the knowledge of what lies behind the systems and even then I have to wrack my brain now and then.

Someone with the technical ability to 're-shuffle' the already good systems on board is going to buy a bargain here.

Ana is sad to be loosing you guys to the sailing world ... she is always chuckling when she reads your blog ...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24   #86

Quote:
Jane,

Looking at all the stuff you have on board ... man ... I just can't believe no one has snapped up your boat yet .... I think its a bargain!

I am pretty sure your frustrations lie in the 'lack of technical knowledge' to keep everything going, and this I say VERY RESPECTFULLY! I was present when every system was installed so as to have the knowledge of what lies behind the systems and even then I have to wrack my brain now and then.

Someone with the technical ability to 're-shuffle' the already good systems on board is going to buy a bargain here.

Ana is sad to be loosing you guys to the sailing world ... she is always chuckling when she reads your blog ...
Absolutely agree! We don't have the technological knowledge required - but even more importantly, we aren't willing to do what's required to GET that tech knowledge.

But ask Ana for me, to keep reading the blog - our goal is to keep traveling and writing... and I'd love to maintain our ties to the cruising community, because I'm hoping for occasional sails on OPBs (other people's boats - my favorite kind!)....
Old 04-08-2013, 14:35   #87

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
And the answer to that is location, location, location. (Panama, Panama, Panama)

And I like the boat, too.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:09   #88

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
And the answer to that is location, location, location. (Panama, Panama, Panama)

And I like the boat, too.
I really don't see the problem with location as long as one has the time to do it. I'm sure one could rustle up a family to deliver ... hang ... I would fetch a boat from anywhere if I wanted her and knowing how much money I have paid to get our boat to the standard we want ... I think this boat is a 'STEAL!'

Jane, if you are reading this, I am sure if I put this out on Facebook a South African family would jump at the opportunity to take your boat across the Pacific for you?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14   #89
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I really don't see the problem with location as long as one has the time to do it. I'm sure one could rustle up a family to deliver ... hang ... I would fetch a boat from anywhere if I wanted her and knowing how much money I have paid to get our boat to the standard we want ... I think this boat is a 'STEAL!'
I think the location is less of a problem for delivery than for pre-purchase inspection - I think most of us are well used to seeing boats that were not accurately described, and a PITA even when down the road. Add in a few k(?) for a viewing trip and the difficulties of buying abroad (real and perceived) then the location does become a problem. Not to say that it is a bar to a sale, just cuts the numbers down - and with a niche product that less than ideal.......

I still think a decent advert (placed where the punters look) and with the delivery (and the buying) process spoonfed to potential punters is the way to go.....including the dull stuff like how the boat is swapped onto another registry, if needed.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:17   #90

I definitely agree that "Panama" is a barrrier - flights from MIA to PTY can be had for about the same cost as to any Caribbean island - but if you fly to the Carib, you might be able to look at several potential boats, whereas here, there is only JOY. We are talking with our favorite broker right now, to see how we might go about broadening our audience. But honestly, $175,000 seems to be the right price - lots more interest, from more serious buyers who are talking about dates for visits - so now we'll wait another month or so and see if we can get a deal done. But I think the option of delivering it somewhere is still on the table as well.

Tags
catamaran