Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32   #46

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
In touch with captain indirectly thru broker...but,

"considerable period of strong SW winds forecast" was the info I got.

Dave
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 20:56   #47

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
On the move again!

Madeira Friday night most likely.

Then next stop - Annapolis.

:-D
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 20:04   #48

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
First impressions after week aboard

My wife and I, with an awesome crew of 2 other couples, spent last week on Let It Be our Helia 44 in the BVI's under charter with TMM. We came home from the week as happy about our purchase as when we first saw her at the dock. Here are our first impressions.
The Good
1. Performance - With an apparent wind angle of 52 degrees set in the autopilot and an apparent wind speed of 16-18 knots, we averaged 7-8 knots of SOG on the sail from Virgin Gorda to Anagada. Very reasonable for a cruising catamaran. We had no bridgedeck slapping during this sail. We are very novice sailors.
2. Engine performance - The 40 horsepower Volvo's seem adquate for this boat in these conditions. With both engines running 2200 RPM we motored at about 7.4 knots.
3. Wheel handling - The helm is a very light feel but certainly quite comfortable and responsive. For some it may not be enough "feel"; however, you never tire helming this cat by hand.
4. Galley - The galley is amazing for a 44ft sailboat. The galley really accomodates 2 people quite easily especially if one person stands forward of the galley counter by the companionway going into the port hull and works on the end of the counter. The fridge is opposite the galley opening adjacent to the entrance to the salon. The fridge, freezer and the cockpit fridge all work very well and easily accomodate provisions for 8 people for 7 days.
5. Helm station - This space has been well thought out for a cruising catamaran with emphasis on Caribbean chartering. The helm seat easily accomodates 3 people with spacious area in the adjacent bridgedeck lounge area. At the sime time the helmsman has excellent lines of communication with someone in the galley or the cockpit. The lines led to the helm station take some sorting out at first to prevent them from getting intertwined during use. The electric Harken winch is a beautiful option.
6. Cockpit and dining table - We ate on the outside dining table every meal. We are so glad the salon table is a coffee table only.

The not so good
1. Dinghy davits - They are completely unusable for a dinghy with an outboard. They are much too low to the water and not strong enough. FP is aware of the problem; however, they have not spoken with us or TMM yet about a fix. I cannot see any other fix than a complete redesign. They make wonderful racks for our SUP's.
2. The cockpit/ salon door/window. The full opening of the window and door continue to be one of our favorite features; however, the window didn't close all the way or latch and the door was difficult to close much less lock to the window. This may just be a FP warranty adjustment issue.
3. Mooring ball bridle attachment vs anchor bridle attachment - The anchor bridle attachment points work very will with the anchor and anchor locker. However, the boat needs another attachment point/cleat on each hull for mooring ball bridle attachment.

This really is a complete list of the items needing improvement and a very imcomplete list of the items that we liked. I did not elaborate on many of the other items that we enjoyed such as cabins, heads, storage, access to the sails and spars, etc.

We appreciate the fabulous work that TMM has done commissioning this Helia 44 with a Northern Lights genset, CruiseAir A/C units and a neat and tidy electrical installation.

Don't hesitate to PM me or bring up questions in this forum for the benefit of all of us.

I look forward to hearing from other Helia owners,
Onthehook17

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:43   #49

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: First impressions after week aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
3. Mooring ball bridle attachment vs anchor bridle attachment - The anchor bridle attachment points work very will with the anchor and anchor locker. However, the boat needs another attachment point/cleat on each hull for mooring ball bridle attachment.
This maybe a solution for picking up a mooring. This is what we did.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post563357
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	57572   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	57573  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	57574   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	57575  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:18   #50

Re: Owners

Cotemar,
Certainly the method you have used is one of the best choices; thanks for the reply. TMM will decide on the final location. I would have thought that FP would put this cleat on the boat as a standard feature.
Onthehook

s/v Let It Be
Old 23-03-2013, 17:44   #51

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
Cotemar,
Certainly the method you have used is one of the best choices; thanks for the reply. TMM will decide on the final location. I would have thought that FP would put this cleat on the boat as a standard feature.
Onthehook
It amazing that every boat we have ever chartered in the BVI has mooring cleats on the port and starboard ends of the cross beam. It’s the best and easiest way to hook up a mooring bridal.

Then you buy a production boat and the big three do not even offer forward cleats as an option. You kind of wonder if they ever listen to their customers, when you see things like this.

Well it’s an easy fix and we love it. No fuss, it just works.

We have plenty more upgrades that may help you guys out.

Here are all the Categories for our FP Mahe, but a lot can be transferred over to yours

Fountaine Pajot - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

magnetic door stoppers on the doors has worked out great
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post946300
Old 23-03-2013, 18:04   #52

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

The cleats posted would not look like taking the heavy duty mooring lines used in the Whitsunday islands. Far too small. Its at least 60mm poly. Haven't a photo.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 18:15   #53

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
The cleats posted would not look like taking the heavy duty mooring lines used in the Whitsunday islands. Far too small. Its at least 60mm poly. Haven't a photo.
At 60mm (2.3 inches) I am thinking you may need a bigger boat as lines that size are for a cruise ship.
Old 23-03-2013, 18:26   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
At 60mm (2.3 inches) I am thinking you may need a bigger boat as lines that size are for a cruise ship.
Standard lines used in Whitsundays. Most charter vessel cleats struggle and they are inadequate. Something I and others have found.

I recall Spiv on here with a FP Salina who had to replace cleats for med mooring as they were inadequate.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s-53998-3.html
Old 24-03-2013, 07:55   #55

Boat: Amel 50

Regarding mooring lines, I use a dock line, attached to a cleat, that I run though the mooring line loop and then back to the same cleat. This way it is very easy to let go of the mooring line, especially in bad weather, and there is no problem with mooring line diameter.

It worked great on my 60k+ lbs powerboat.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 14:39   #56

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44

I am expecting delivery of hull 22 "MapleCookie" in May. I agree that the lead of the mooring line looks very poor. Having spent a few hours checking photos of cats from all 3 major builders, only the Lagoon 421 appears to have a clean lead from the forward cleats - they are far forward and the hull edge is very rounded. Looks like some Leopards have crossbar cleats. Not sure if the photos are representative of boats in the BVI's or other areas where moorings are common. I wonder if anyone with a Helia could take a photo showing where the mooring lines would fall???
NSfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 16:13   #57

The forward cleat on the Helia is aft of the bow pupit and on the gunnel edge of the topsides of the boat. It is clearly positioned only for securing a mooring line when tied to a dock. A line led to a mooring ball from this forward cleat would quickly take out the inner leg of the bow pulpit and eventually be chafed on the cable supporting the seagull striker.
An additional cleat on the forward peak of the hull or on the crossbeam seems to be the best solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LIB BVI 3-13, Warner, Geppert 005.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	57794  

s/v Let It Be
Old 26-03-2013, 07:24   #58

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

WRT to a mooring ball, we installed a second bridle, shorter than the anchor bridle and use it for mooring balls. When not in use, we pull it over the beam and clip it to the net.

It works great and IMO, is better than drilling holes in the cross beam.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 14:25   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
WRT to a mooring ball, we installed a second bridle, shorter than the anchor bridle and use it for mooring balls. When not in use, we pull it over the beam and clip it to the net.

It works great and IMO, is better than drilling holes in the cross beam.
A better solution.
Old 26-03-2013, 17:06   #60

DotDun,
How do you attach that second bridle to a mooring ball. Shackle? Knot? Do you then add a safety line to the mooring ball in addition to the bridle which is your primary attachment?

s/v Let It Be