Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 08:18   #31

Boat: No sailboat yet - power only
Henryv
thanks for that - just asking because the new layout on the FP website states "a bed in passageway" so maybe that's an additional option.
Johanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03   #32

Boat: Hanse 371
Just got back from Guadeloupe where I did a bareboat charter with a Salina 48 for 2 weeks.

While visiting several islands ( Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Barth, St Maarten, Montserat ) we did some extensive sailing ( 500 nm ) in pretty
" windy" conditions ( 4 - 7 Bft )

We had 4 couples onboard.

Considering the heavy payload I was pleased with the sailing performance.

On a close reach in 20 knots of wind ( 50 ° true ) we averaged 7.5 knots.

On a beam reach we kept here at around 10 knots.

Our Salina 48 had the optional 55 hp Volvo's which proved to be sufficient.

Pro's :

- lots of space
- sun deck very popular with the ladies ....and nice platform
to prepare the BBQ
-pratical " piano bar " fridge
- the low positioning of the boom makes setting and lowering the sails + reefs a breeze.

Negative :

- lots of squeaks and cracks while sailing in heavy weather
- in these conditions we noticed that there was water entering in the cabins ( hatches ?? )
- the steering position, altough giving a good visibility, is unprotected against heavy rain and wind.

Greetz,

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 23:17   #33

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
I just came across this thread, so I will be definitely late for influencing your buy.

We purchased a new Salina Maestro in Sep 2010 after hearing that she was the best sailor out of the FP range.
We went to La Rochelle and took the boat to Greece for the winter.
I have not sailed the Orana, so I cannot make any comparisons, however, I tend to agree that a longer boat should sail better, carry more weight and be more comfortable.

We covered about 1,900NM in 3 weeks and we did many multi-day trips.
Since there were just me and my wife, I never pushed the (new) boat, but just took it easy.
We sailed the North Atlantic in up to 32Kn, broad reach or running on Jib only and the autopilot never lost a beat.
Because of our time constraints I never sailed if it require beating to windwards, so I cannot really tell you how well she would beat, however I found her very responsive and never lost a tack.

We motored against some 25 to 30kn NEly from Ibiza to the North tip of Sardenia for 3 days and while we certainly did not like it, she did it well, always on one engine for 5 hours then the other.
At 2300 to 2500rpm averaged 6kn.

She is now in Greece and we will get back there in a couple of months to start our new life aboard.

Pros: huge space, so many wardrobes that even my wife could not fill...
Space for guests with private facility and storage, great saloon with large home-like kitchen, nearly 360 degree views from either sitting or standing (tall people need to stoop to see far...).
Sense of security and ease to get hold of something in rough seas.
Good visibility from the helm, toe rails, rub rails, all lines to helm.
Square top fully battened main. Boom bag and lazy jacks.
FP claim this is the evolution of all the experience gained with the hundred of Bahias built, and I agree, for a production boat it is great.

Cons: creaking and rattling: now, this was a real nuisance as it was there 24/7 while underway. FP said they will fix it in Marmaris, so, keep an eye on this post for feedback.
Cleats too small: I had trouble passing the large mooring lines I was given in all the ports in the Med over the forward cleats, they are OK for lines up to 25mm (1"). I was caught twice in ports with big surge while in Med mooring style and both times I broke a stern cleat, even though I had the biggest rubber snubbers on the market.
FP say I am the only one with this trouble and will not install larger cleats, but will send me two replacement ones as a goodwill gesture. I am not happy with this attitude, but i will have to live with it and install larger cleats at my own expenses.

So, all in all, would I recommend such a boat for for wannaby cruisers?
It depends, if the creaking/ rattling cannot be fixed, then NO, you cannot live with that while trying to sleep underway.
If they can fix that, YES. I can change the cleats myself....

There is a video
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Novae 15.JPG
Views:	517
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	23154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Square top sail.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	23155  

spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 15:57   #34

Boat: boatless
Excellent video! Thanks for the 'moments in the life of'.
NotJustDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 06:52   #35
tnf

Re: General Comments and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post

So, all in all, would I recommend such a boat for for wannaby cruisers?
It depends, if the creaking/ rattling cannot be fixed, then NO, you cannot live with that while trying to sleep underway.
If they can fix that, YES. I can change the cleats myself....
Hi,

the Salina is one of my options for a new cat later this year, but I am a bit worried about the cracking that I have heard others complain about as well. Did FP fix it and what was the source of the noise?
tnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 13:58   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Stefano,

If FP told you that they would fix the problem in Marmaris, probably you will come to us, as we are their service point in Marmaris.
We have two Salina's in our charter fleet, neither their owners nor the charter customers never complained about.

Generally speaking, they don't have any specific problem with the exception of sail drives and gear issues which were solved under the warranty of FP.

They are nice and big boats but they are a bit on heavy side. The new square head main sail should definately help. I strongly suggest that you install folding props and a spinneaker, if possible.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 02:27   #37

Tnf,
I am still in Australia for family reasons.
As soon as I will be free, I will go back to my boat that is still on the hard stand in Preveza, Greece.

Yeloya,
I will be coming to Marmaris, I am already in touch with Peter Nolle to fix the creaking and perhaps install some new gear for me.
I already have folding props and I might get a Jennaker from Peter if I don't decide to go for a Parasailor.
Old 23-04-2011, 04:51   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Stefano,

If you are already in touch with Peter, fine.. If you come here we can discuss the genneaker issue; I am planning to pass the Atlantic in November and did a lot of search for downwind sailing. We can discuss when you come here..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 07:46   #39
tnf

Are there any new info on the cracking sounds, where they come from and how they can be fixed ? I found the document on the link below, it is from 2009 describing similar problems on page 7.

To be honest am I about to be scared away from a FP cat. The Salina is THE cat I want to own, but the problems I hear people have with FP cats and the way FP seems to handle it scares me..

http://www.ammfl.org/salina48dg/Danc...r%20Manual.pdf
Old 19-05-2011, 08:28   #40

The "cracking" you here is from the flexing of the vessel which causes different modules to rub together. It is not really a strutural issue, just typical F.P shoddy attention to detail. why anyone would choose such a cat over a Lagoon 450 (better boat at a lower price) is beyond me.
Multitalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:37   #41
tnf

I just like the design of the Salina much better.. Also the Lagoon 450 is smaller, but still 50% heavier than the Salina 48.
Old 20-05-2011, 04:38   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnf View Post
I just like the design of the Salina much better.. Also the Lagoon 450 is smaller, but still 50% heavier than the Salina 48.
could not agree with you more, weight is crucial on catamarans.

I am still in Australia waiting to sell my house.
The boat is on the hard stand in Greece since last October.
Very soon I hope to be able to take her to Turkey to the FP dealer to rectify the creaking.

I must say that I had nothing but excellent response from both the FP factory and their dealer and I am looking forward to living aboard such a beautiful cat.
Old 13-03-2014, 04:27   #43
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Here is one more happy Salina 48 owner.

Was looking for a charter boat anywhere in the world, f..cked the brain to all brokers and charter companies.

Found a 2010 private owner version Salina in the neighboring city (130km)...

I did not know 2010 came with a new dark-brown saloon

and the new owner layout

- of course signed up and bought immediately.

Condition: 3 year old private boat - what can you say boat came on deck from Italy, and used for day sail only.

The boat is carefully optioned - the original owner did not want to spent a fortune at FP (with Volvo D2-55, light 5kva gen, folding props, factory bowsprit & gennaker), Garmin 10in chartplotter at helm. Found a brand-new in package full cockpit enclosure and saloon window tint kit

Already moved the boat from Abu Dhabi to Dubai, she sails well - was doing 6 kn under main+gennaker in 8-10kn of 60 deg wind. Got a meter-long barracuda on the way.

In registration now. Plans are very simple - will keep the boat in Dubai for a year or two, equip it and then move to the Med. Nice to be 20 min from my boat!

Will be putting A/C, electric winch, electric toilet and Magma Monterey grill - to start with

I guess you can call it luck? Me - very happy ))

First impressions:
- she is huge inside. Photos and videos do not represent how much volume she has. Too many lockers!
- she motors well - I was doing 6kn on 1600-1700rpm (one engine), burning 3 ltr/h.
- navigation table - brilliant (I will put a higher captain's chair (or just a pillow) to keep watch from inside
- galley - superb (pleasure to cock the lunch on the way)
- owner suite - no comments
- cockpit - huge and protected
- helm - good visibility, unprotected (will be putting the enclosure)
- low boom - easy to manage the mainsail.
- engine ROOM: two people can comfortably sit inside and drink tea there! Perfect engine access.

PS don't get me wrong - it was not cheap... but hey, how many 2010+ owner version Salina 48 are on the market? ZERO. And no more Salina production at the factory
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 04:42   #44

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
Here is one more happy Salina 48 owner.
Congrats! Looks beautiful!!!!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 04:47   #45
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Negative (so far):
- shower pump setup: automatic shower pump (nice), but if you forgot to turn it on, your shower dirt goes into the bilge! Was full of dirt.
- Bilge pumps are tiny, will change! (cost saving from FP)
- not much exterior lockers (one large in the cockpit + 1 small) - she has a diesel tank under the cockpit bench.
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote