Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2009, 13:11   #706
DtM

Serviced the mast winch a couple of weeks ago. Should I say I part serviced the winch.

My winch base was insulated from the aluminium plate by a plastic sheet.

The mounting bolts were solid as described by others. Other than using an impact driver does anyone have an idea of a spray perhaps that will breakdown the "oxidisation" caused by the dissimilar metals. I seem to remeber that WD40 might have an effect.

any comments?

d
Old 29-04-2009, 15:41   #707

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
:: Llewellyn Ryland :: Bringing Colour To Life ::

Duralac anti-corrosion compound for aviation & marine applications where you're joining dissimilar metals. Apply with a small brush and join when tacky.

It won't break down the oxidation to help remove the winch but will protect the metals when you re-attach it so you won't have the same problem next time.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:29   #708

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Regarding mast winch corrosion:
I planned to use insulating bushes, as I have written some time ago, however the position of one of the 5 holes makes this awkward.
So I mounted the winch with a thin plastic sheet (placemat) with silicone kit on both sides, and I greased the bolts liberally with waterproof grease. Quite messy, with the combination of silicone and grease.
Next time I dismount it I'll see the result. I expect no corrosion due to bronze / aluminium contact, but there might be corrosion between aluminium and stainless steel bolts. If this is the case I'll mount the bolts with the bushes on 4 of the 5 bolts; the critical one (at the top) does not have much function (little force due to tensioning of the halyard) and I might just leave it out.

have been sailing with the kids and friends the last 5 days. All beds occupied. Sunny, warm for end of april; little wind, around 3-8 knots with a peak of 12 knots.
In around 2-3 weeks we will leave for a 5 month trip to the Baltic.
Kind regards,
Jef
Old 04-05-2009, 22:05   #709

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
dtm

Saw 2gether last weekend. Saw your raised bimini with clears. However, I am puzzled by something rolled in UV fabric and lashed to your stbd lifelines. What is it?

Cheers

JohnC
Old 04-05-2009, 22:16   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
In around 2-3 weeks we will leave for a 5 month trip to the Baltic.
Jef

Enjoy!

JohnC
Old 05-05-2009, 21:43   #711

Propspeed

Just antifould Wayward Wind, including applying Propspeed on the props. Here are the before and after photos.

JohnC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 April 2009 047.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	14875   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 April 2009 053.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	14876  

Old 06-05-2009, 16:40   #712

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Seadog3315, I see the new blue antifoul paint on the hull and the propspeed on the prop, but what is the "black paint" on the Sail Drive Leg?
It all looks really nice and clean. Great job
Cotemar
Old 06-05-2009, 19:06   #713

Cotemar

Thanks for the compliments. The antifouling was done by the slipway operators, who also took those photos. We used Altex 5 for the hulls, Trilux for the legs, and Propspeed for the propellors.

Cheers!

JohnC
Old 11-05-2009, 13:19   #714

Furuno autopilot

Hi,
I would like to exchange experiences with the Furuno 511 autopilot. Ours works fine in wind and auto mode, however does not work properly in "advanced auto" and "nav" mode. We are trying to sort out what the problem is. The dealer we purchased our boat from is helpful in getting Furuno to help us, however we are in a squeeze since we want to leave for the Baltic soon.
Anybody with a Furuno 511 and a GP32 GPS where the above works properly, and who would like to help us in exchanging some settings? Or somebody who solved these kind of problems...
I am an electronics guy but this has beaten me until now.
Also the speed / log transducer has already been exchanged 2 times because the depth meter gets stuck at a certain value (last weekend 7.2 and 8,4 meters). This can be solved by swityching the electronics off and on again. And again. And again... Anybody who had the same problem?
Thanks in advance,
Jef
Old 12-05-2009, 17:15   #715
DtM

John,

Sorry i have been away for a couple of weeks.

The blue roll on the starboard lifelines is a canvass awning that goes from the mast to the end of the boom and out to the lifelines.

we use it when it is really hot to give a layer of shade above the cabin at anchor and it makes an huge difference to the temperature on board.

Who did your antifouljob? RMYC ?

daniel
Old 14-05-2009, 15:16   #716

Daniel

Bayview Slipway Marine Services. Tel 9997 8588. Lowest quote, friendly and helpful operators. I also had the engines serviced at the same time.

JohnC
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59   #717

Boat: Alura 30
Just wondering what everybody is doing.We need to revive this thread.We just got back from the keys.Great trip,great sailing weather,between 20 and 30 knots while we where down there.We sailed from Keywest to Marco,that's 90 miles in 11 hours,we had a blast,doing over 12 knts at some point.Fixing to haul out the boat for a bottom job.I just had to replace the valve on the waste tank,it was leaking all the time.Otherwise our cat is performing very well.
Check out our website at Saillaviecharters.com
JC and Laurence.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:11   #718

Keep it alive - my improvements

Hi Jean, and others, the thread could be more alive, that is true.
It lives by contributions. These could be social, or regarding technical matters about the boat. Tips about maintenance, improvements, problem points of the Mahe.
Contributions require altruistic behaviour from the participants: to inform the others about technical improvements, maintenance, etcetera, that you have solved yourself. And which could be very useful to others.
I will post a few. Hope that uploading the pictures works.

The first picture is the top eye of our mainsail. This was put in last October. It prevents the top of the main sail very well from being damaged by the runner, as with the original construction. It is a part which the sail maker in France had lying around. The (not visible bush) that connects it to the runner is a bit too thin, requires a washer on each side.

The second picture is an elastic which covers the jammer of the jib halyard. It excellently prevents the jib sheet from getting stuck behind the jammer when tacking. Since it is elastic you can easily lift it above the jammer when you have to release the jammer.
I don't have a good solution yet to prevent the jib sheet to get stuck behind the mast winch, except for laying the sheet on the winch before tacking.

The third picture is of the port forward hatch, where we keep the fenders and mooring lines. I mounted a piece of wood, with 3 double cleats on it and 4 line tidying hooks (2 of which are visible). The cleats are used to hang the fender lines on, so that you can easily take them out.
On the starboard side I have a similar construction for the spinnaker sheets.

The 4th and 5th picture are the lifeline construction I just installed. We are very happy with it. There is a yellow band which runs from steering seat leg, is looped around and knotted to the mast, and is attached at the other end to one support of the bimini. Separate lifelines (one on starboard, one port) are spliced to the yellow band with a nylon part.
A third lifeline is permanently attached to the steering seat leg.
It has big advantages over other solutions I feel:
- No metal hook damaging the boat, windows etcetera
- You hook it on EVERY time you go forward eg for reefing since the fuss is minimal. Even when you have to work on the winches when you are dangerously close to the railing.
- You can on one hand reach the mast for reefing, on the other hand the lifelines are so short that when you go overboard, you will hang only partly in the water (it is said that water-reaching lifelines are dangerous when you drop in the water at high boat speed).
Only disadvantage so far is that you can not reach the forestay, furler, bowsprit and front cleats; but you do not really have to go there in rough weather when you should use lifelines. And you could use a longer standard hook-on lifeline for these cases.

I have got more.... For another time.
Hope to see contributions from others. Kind regards,
Jef and Marin
On our way to the Baltic, until mid October.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:16   #719

Now the pictures...

Another try to attach the pictures
Jef
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Miss Poes 09-3- 001.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	14877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss Poes 09-3- 002.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	14878  

Name:	Miss Poes 09-3- 003.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	14879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss Poes 09-3- 004.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	14880  

Name:	Miss Poes 09-3- 005.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	14881  
Old 03-06-2009, 13:03   #720

Boat: Alura 30
Hi Jeff&Marin
I really like your idea about not having the Jib sheet get stuck,I need to do it.The top eye of my main is looking terrible on our boat,but I am a little scare about having to remove the main in order to do it,maybe you can give some advices.I have done the same thing with the forward hatches ,one side for the lines the other side for the fenders. Those are little improvements that makes life easier. Graet shots by the way.
Happy sailing
JC.
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36