Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41   #121

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Very interesting Mudbug. Just shows you that every boat is still a relatively small speck on the ocean!

Out of interest, what do you carry in terms of storm sails? And what do you carry as light airs sails?

Cheers, Cameron
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:50   #122

FP Salina?

Anyone have experience with the FP Salina. Have been searching websites for data but have only come across two reviews which read like they are too politically correct and likely dealer sponsored. Am coming at this as a current monohull owner and trying to seek the best match of performance-comfort-value (not necessarily in that order).

The other two boats I have been looking at are the new Prout 45 and 50 and the Corsair 50. Keep coming back to the Salina for build confidence (Prout and Corsair designs/yards are very new) and decent sail area to displacement compared to price.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23   #123
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
We toured one at last years boat show">Miami boat show and at TMM's base in Tortola. The base manager at TMM was non-committal on the boat. I loved the looks of it and the layout. It was brought up in another thread, and I agree, that the cabinets and bath units look like their pre-manufactured and then screwed into place during construction. For coastal and charter use, the boat appears awesome. I think it has the best raised helm setup of any of the newer designed cats. So really my only concern would be the fit and finish actually lasting long term. It has one sexy profile though.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 13:43   #124
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Salina,

I haven't sailed Salina but we have two of them on our charter fleet and talked to some customers who went out with Salina. They weren't particularly impressed. (the layout is not to the standards of this size cat, sailing performance is Ok but nothing particular, etc..)
I believe Orana is better option (cost around 30% cheaper) or if you think Orana is too small, I would opt for a well kept Bahia.
I totally disagree with rigamolke opinion; all of the FP's including the smallest Mahe's are all excellent passage makers. The proof is that 1000+ FP's are all delivered via Atlantic on their own hull w/out any problem..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 14:08   #125
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Yeloya, I didn't try to imply it wasn't blue water capable. I was in love with the Salina for a half year and am now having an affair with Bahia's. FP Cats are my favorite. My only concern is the same as yours if you read the posts.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 16:27   #126

Thanks Rigamarole and yeloya.

Yeloya, is the quality of the fit out on the Orana better then the Salina or just more within expectations for people chartering a slightly smaller boat? From pictures alone I tend to like the Salina interior more. In particular, the position of the master bed on Orana in between the hulls is less appealing to me vs the in hull bed on the Salina master. I have heard the Orana suffers from a reasonable amount of wave slapping and its right in the area of the master bed. I dont know if the bridegdeck clearance is more or less of a problem on the Salina but would care about this if it were a problem.

I should have stated that the boat will mostly be for coastal cruising but will need to do a few 500-1000 mile trips a year so offshore ability is part of my consideration.

I've heard the flattop main on the Salina makes quite a performance difference. Anyone have details on this?

Thanks
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36   #127
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Hi Salina,

So far we didn't talk about charter or owner version. I tend to believe that in FP ranges, owners versions have somewhat better finish. They also cost 10.000 € more both on Orana and Salina vs. charter version.
I had posted a my detailed and candid review on my Orana. Like every boat has it's cons and pros. It has a full island bad which is not usual on this size of cat. The cost is a bit more slamming. The bridgedeck clearance in all of the FP's are more than enough.
I haven't seen yet any FP with flat top main. It seems that it's now standard in every FP. Theoritically, this should ive some 5-10% extra power for the same size.
If you are to sail in relatively light winds, for all of the new generation FP's (Belize and Athena is an exception) you will most likely need a genneaker.

For the rest it's yr taste, yr budget and yr expectations.

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 07:37   #128

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Here is a Lavezzi 40 soon to be going back to europe, from Carib. its a 2005 mod. its been sailing in the northsea area, and they reports are that it is a good boat, top speed so fare is 21 knots. then they took one reef in the main,

Rattata.no - Forside
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 04:43   #129
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Hi all, those interested in a 40' boat would do well to await the release of a possible replacement for the Lavezzi 40 one of FP's most popular models. Keep an eye on the news out of the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show this May 21st-24th. We will be sailing our Orana 44 up from Sydney to the Gold Coast this coming week to be part of the FP display.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:22   #130

Boat: searching
FP head room in galley

I'm a shade under 6' and cannot fit at the galley of the Athena, when on the Venenzia could stand at the burners with my hair tickled, (I'll get a haircut if we get a V), but not able to stand at the prep/cooler area. Understand the Bahia is ok with its step down providing over 6'. So is the Belize similar to the Venezia or does it have better headroom.
Old 07-07-2009, 13:20   #131

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Herb
If your considering the Athena, why not look at the Mahe, I'm 6 feet and I've no problem anywhere in the boat including the shower which has 6'3" of headroom. I think the Saloon has 6'7" of headroom.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 16:03   #132

Thanks for that tip on the Mahe, at the time the Athena was being checked out and we are now trying hard to go 40 or bigger. Its good to know FP is putting in the head room on the newer models. How about the Belize, does anyone have the dims for those
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00   #133

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Belize Headroom

Herb,

My wife and I have owned and cruised a Belize, Maestro version, since 2003 so I'll try to answer your question about headroom. I am 6'1" tall and occasionally touch the ceiling at the sink in the master head and at the galley sinks. I don't have actual dimensions as I have never taken a tape measure to them. I do have a few scars on my head from the sharp edge on the main saloon door to the cockpit, though, usually coming when I am entering without paying attention. No problems anywhere else I normally wander.

We chartered an Athena a few months before taking delivery of our Belize but I don't remember whether it had vertical clearance problems. The biggest issue I had with that boat was the engines under the aft bunks. That became a real problem when the last remaining hose clamp on the diesel fuel inlet to the stbd engine failed, filling the cabin with diesel odor from about a quart of fuel that leaked out before we could find the leak and replace the clamp.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:54   #134

Boat: FP Bahia 46
Hi Herb-

I'm 6'3"- Just bought a 99 Bahia about a month ago. It's an owners version, but I don't think they called it a Maestro in 99. I have adequate headroom all around except in the shower. Its located where the starboard forward bunk would be. I was looking at the Venezia, but I was bumping my head in the galley. I was trying to rationalize how little time I would really be spending there, when this Bahia popped up....at the right price of course. Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:35   #135

Now while shopping for a boat is the only time I've ever wished I was shorter, thanks for the info. Was on a very sweet Venezia last week, loaded with equip, alas I balked on the headroom, plan to live on this boat a very long time.

Tags
fountaine pajot