Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 10:31   #256

Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Questions for the lucky people who put the deposit down for 2020 Astrea...
Since the price of the boat is not decided yet.. also exchange rate is uncertain.
What is your purchase contract looks like? Is the price going to be the one FP announces for 2020 boat in euro? Also how much do you deposit?
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 11:40   #257
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserUser View Post
Just in case the questions around the Davit block setup are still of interest, a short description here. I went for the Davits instead of the platform.
As you see in the picture posted above the Davits are all straight, mounted in quite an angle upwards. The lifting ropes are fixed with rope clutches on the top side, one on each Davit rod. Good to reach from the rear bench.
Just in front of each clutch there is a low friction mini block without any pulley, mounted in a 45° angle to guide the rope from the locking block to the port side end of the rear bench. Here is another low friction block mounted, that works like a "collector" and guide. Both ropes from both Davits go through here and are led towards the winch. The winch is mounted to the port side end of the bench and can be used for operating both ropes, one at a time.
Works OK, lifting a rather heavy dinghy seems no problem for all that hardware. I went for the electric winch after some experience with a similar setup on a Helia in the past.
Just as mentioned above, the length of the Davits is just too short to have some clearance between the hull and the dinghy, I went for a Highfield CL340, width is around 1.7m. The height of the dinghy when in topmost position is nice, all out of the way, no danger of higher waves coming through the tunnel to hit the dinghy or the outboard. This was an issue with the Helia we had.
Sorry that I took no pictures that I could post, will be back on the boat probably two weeks from now.
As the discussion around the split bathroom is going on, just a comment on the "standard configuration 1" with equal sized showers I have on the boat. They seem to use always the same "inner plastic shell" with the center sink. Just as on the pictures above taken on hull #3, also on mine the center wall ends a bit over the "grill", just in the middle of that area. So also this configuration is neither isolated or "sound proof". An extra problem with this version is that the waste water tank access is blocked by the center wall.
So whatever design you go for, forget about real privacy in that bathrooms.
Regards,
CruiserUser
Thank you for the great detail! This is precisely what we have been asking FP for since April - answers on both those questions (Shower and Davit set up).

Very disappointing to hear that shower/head set up is impacted regardless of configuration. As it stands right now, we will still have the Central Shower (waiting for the FP senior person I spoke with 10 days ago to confirm!)and will then retro-fit a correctly isolating door(s) and wall division in the USA after delivery. Reality is this may well be once we move the boat to Annapolis for the summer/autumn season.
On Davit set up, we also went with the electric winch. Your description answers my question i.e. both lines can be led to winch so not left with one manual operation. Close up pics of davit blocks/winch set up would still be greatly appreciated. Thank you, thank you!
Old 15-10-2018, 11:57   #258

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Nothing but fun with FP...
I found one picture with a beautiful sunrise, that shows at least one davit and the winch. Maybe that gives an impression. And yes, in that picture the dinghy hangs 180° in the wrong direction. The engine should be on the port side. We just found out that the davits are a bit off center, just as ist was on the Helia. Hard to see at first, but has quite an effect with the dinghy in place.
Regards,
CruiserUser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3187.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	178985  
CruiserUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 13:07   #259
BKC

This is awesome - thank you. You have just released a French State Secret - the Astrea Davit set up! This answers my question from what I saw on the Lucia - the electric winch was on the Starboard side so the set up on the Port side had a silly horizontal block for manual hauling. On the Astrea, seems they have reversed that winch set up so looking forward to seeing the clutch/lines on your starboard side. I assume you have to swap lines in the winch repeatedly to keep it somewhat balanced as you raise it?

The off-set Davits I assume are to allow some more space for the outboard on the starboard side, taking the extra weight closer to that winch.

I've just had confirmation from FP of delivery ex factory in early December. We will have the central shower redesigned properly aftermarket based on CAD drawings so we will create a fully isolated Central Shower i.e. what they should be doing on these boats anyway.

Someone earlier in the thread helpfully suggested a lighter weight version of the Leopard forward salon door for those shower doors. Obviously doesn't need as heavy a system as that but the principle is correct I think. We will create a floor to ceiling wall system (fully sealed) with shower doors closing flat on gaskets to seal fully. As we've now learned, all of the Astrea dual shower set ups have this lack of isolation to share a floor drain, so a retrofitted central shower is the only shared system that you could fully isolate. Crazy that we have to fix something like this, but it will be unique I guess.

Like most new ideas, the detail matters...
Old 15-10-2018, 13:34   #260

Yes you are right, you need to swap the lines two to three times, as the dinghy is quite a way up. But the design of clutch / ropes / block / winch is working OK. You just need to be careful and know what you do especially on lowering. The clutches open quite easily by hand, also under load.
As mentioned before, the problem is the length of the davits, at least with my size of dinghy (3,4m which should be pretty much standard for the Astrea). When raising, the dinghy gets stuck on the horizontal edge of the hull just blow the davits. If I can´t find a way to modify the rope position, I will mount something here to let the dinghy slip over that edge, probably some bent stainless steel plates on both sides. Otherwise you always need a second person, and "pushing the dinghy over the edge" looks rather uncool in front of the mean crowd watching you.
CruiserUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 15:07   #261
BKC

Thanks for the added info. Not ideal for a charter boat as I do recall almost dropping the dinghy (yes, uncool, probably blamed my poor wife!) as a result of the same issues on the Lucia 40.
That lip effect on raising the dinghy was the same I recall. Constantly having to push it out with your foot as you raise it will be a nuisance (and cause wear as it gets caught on the way up). Clever solution needed. I'll be interested to hear what you figure out. Maybe a line under tension from a small cleat on both sugar scoops connected from the base of the centre stanchion to create an upside down V would hold it out and allow it to slide. It might take several beers to figure it out, but worth it!
Old 16-10-2018, 19:33   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleedooroo View Post
Questions for the lucky people who put the deposit down for 2020 Astrea...
Since the price of the boat is not decided yet.. also exchange rate is uncertain.
What is your purchase contract looks like? Is the price going to be the one FP announces for 2020 boat in euro? Also how much do you deposit?
I have a contract with a fixed price in Euros, excluding the aftermarket extra. It was 10% deposit on the hull only to start with (35K), then another deposit due in April 2019 to bring the balance up to 20% of the total cost of the boat including all the factory fitted extras (59K), with the balance due a month before delivery in May 2020. I was not confident the aussie dollar would hold its value against the euro over the next 18 months so I bought euros and put them in an HSBC account. Every 1 cent it drops would have added AUD $14K to the price of the boat. Only time will tell if I've done the best thing from a financial point of view but at least I know how much I am paying for the boat. Life's a gamble and fortune favours the brave (or the lucky/stupid people like me based on my track record in the past!)
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 19:52   #263

Parasailors for the Astrea 42.

I've started my research for a parasailor for "The Cunning Plan". Firstly, does anyone have the following measurements as yet:

"I" Measurement - Height of jib halyard above deck
"ISP" Measurement - Height of spinnaker halyard above deck
"J" Measurement - Length from front side of the mast foot to where the forestay is attached to the deck

Most of the FP Lipari's and Lucia's that I have researched are running parasailors between 94m2 and 105m2 with the Helia's using 140m2 to 156m2, so I'm a bit confused as to why the big difference between the different models.

The quote I got from MHS was for a 156m2 parasailer with deck fittings for Euro 12465 (8460eur/3995eur). Then I read a blog about getting the deck fittings myself for half the price but before I start sourcing that info I thought I'd put it to the group to see if anyone has any comments/experiences/feedback on different brands and suitable sizes?

Also, I'm planning to get a parasailor rather than the bowsprit/gennaker option and I would welcome comments on this too. I currently have a Seawind 1160 and only run a genoa with an asymmetrical spinnaker which has suited me fine for coastal cruising in the past.

Cheers and good winds. Fox
Old 17-10-2018, 09:15   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and the Fox View Post
I have a contract with a fixed price in Euros, excluding the aftermarket extra. It was 10% deposit on the hull only to start with (35K), then another deposit due in April 2019 to bring the balance up to 20% of the total cost of the boat including all the factory fitted extras (59K), with the balance due a month before delivery in May 2020. I was not confident the aussie dollar would hold its value against the euro over the next 18 months so I bought euros and put them in an HSBC account. Every 1 cent it drops would have added AUD $14K to the price of the boat. Only time will tell if I've done the best thing from a financial point of view but at least I know how much I am paying for the boat. Life's a gamble and fortune favours the brave (or the lucky/stupid people like me based on my track record in the past!)
Thank you for the info.
So your fixed price is from 2018 boat base price? Is that mean if FP raise the price 2020, you still can pay the same 2018 price?
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 14:43   #265

That's correct. They said there will be changes to the pricing every Christmas but mine is locked in.
Old 19-10-2018, 10:37   #266
BKC

Anyone got an ASTREA for Charter in CROATIA next summer?

Just wondering if any owners/prospective owners planning to have an Astrea in a charter program (with any company). I'm probably being lazy not to just search but thinking some may not be listed yet.

Could even consider trading some owner use if interested - ideally last 2 weeks of Jun so before the summer rush. Open to other models in the 40-50 range provided reasonably new-ish. Our boat will be based in Abaco Bahamas Nov-May and Annapolis Maryland June-Oct. Can also be taken out of nearby Exhumas so can fly directly into Nassau, Bahamas. Doesn't need to be taken at that time, will hold weeks to suit trade.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.
Old 21-10-2018, 01:22   #267

Hi! Nice to see everyone is excited about the Astrea. My husband and I also bought an Astrea 42. Next week we’ll visit the factory in La Rochelle where our boat is now being built. It will be ready in December for the Paris boat show. Next year we are starting our trip around the world. A few weeks ago we started the Facebook Group ‘Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42’ especially for people who are the future owners of an Astrea. Or for people who are very interested in the Astrea 42.
Like on this forum we share ideas, news, pictures and questions in the group. We also want to keep it privat, for example when you have got remarks about your dealer without them seeing what you are talking about.
Hope to see you there too! Kind regards

Instagram: Soultrain_Astrea42
Soul Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 01:28   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman61 View Post
Hello Astrea Owners Group - this should be a nice resource for us all to share info on our new boats. My wife and I have Astrea hull #6 ordered, a ~Sept '18 build. She'll be named Brown Eyed Girl and in charter service in the BVI. The pics we've seen from La Grande Motte look even better than the early renderings. Exciting, but lots to do in a short period of time ...
Great! How is everything going right now? Are you already sailing?
My husband and I will get our Astrea in December this year. We also started a Facebook group called ‘Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42. Maybe you’d like to join?
Have fun with your new boat!
Old 21-10-2018, 01:32   #269

Hi! Great to hear you’ve bought an Astrea too! My husband and I also bought one. Next week we’ll visit the factory in La Rochelle where our boat is now being built. It will be ready in December for the Paris boat show. Next year we are starting our trip around the world. A few weeks ago we started the Facebook Group ‘Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42’ especially for people who are the future owners of an Astrea. Or for people who are very interested in the Astrea 42.
Like to join it? Have fun with your new boat!
Kind regards, SoulTrain
Instagram: Soultrain_Astrea42
Old 28-10-2018, 14:13   #270
BKC

Astrea Mast height?

Anyone know the official/actual mast height? May want to use the Intra Coastal Waterway (ICW Miami to Norfolk VA) for part of a trip to move our boat from Bahamas to Annapolis if family on board as we’ll have to go to Fort Lauderdale anyway most likely. The ICW has a clearance of 65’ give or take.

Thank you