Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2024, 06:43   #1

Advice Request: What Should I Focus on at Survey

Hello All Saba 50 Owners,

We're in the process of purchasing a Saba 50 and about to conduct a pre-survey inspection.

From all accounts this boat appears to be in good shape, but we still plan to giver her a detailed once over during the personal inspection.

If you would please, we'd appreciate any advice, thoughts, or areas of focus that you'd recommend we pay attention to during our review. We're experienced boat owners, and know every boat has its "thing" or two to pay attention to and were hoping for as much advice as is possible.

Thanks in advance.
vdavena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 11:14   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Advice Request: What Should I Focus on at Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdavena View Post

We're in the process of purchasing a Saba 50 and about to conduct a pre-survey inspection.

From all accounts this boat appears to be in good shape, but we still plan to giver her a detailed once over during the personal inspection.

If you would please, we'd appreciate any advice, thoughts, or areas of focus that you'd recommend we pay attention to during our review. We're experienced boat owners, and know every boat has its "thing" or two to pay attention to and were hoping for as much advice as is possible.

Thanks in advance.
The rig on Saba is definitely on the small side for this vessel. As i told you i delivered sanoa and its the same vessel from the same molds just cut 3ft off but rig etc is all the same rhen on saba and it was already the 2nd biggest source of trouble but the most severe one on the sanoa...they improved it by going a size up. The main came down as the top of the mast and the hardware couldn't handle the forces of 25kn and up. We got a new upgraded
mast and rig in gran canaria by FP because of these issues.
The original sails and cut is cheapest ****, so if they are old good. replace them with properly cut good quality dacron...more doesn't make sense as hull shape and weight limit you further.
You also need reacher and good downwind sails (a parasailor would do both but some effort to rig and it must be huge for this weight and size (around 180-230sqm) as the shrouds come so far back that you cannot put the boom further out then for 120-130degress sailing, more and the main is scaffing on the shrouds and won't survive long. Also its quite undercanvased.
What will give you constant and expensive issues is the motorized lifting platform if it should have one. On Sanoa it showed already severe corrosion and wear after 3 month we delivered it and it wasn't used much as you doing when normal cruising. Already repaired it 3 times during the 3 month delivery. It also adds a lot of weight far rear...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 17:05   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's a link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1-a-78671.html

It is pretty general, and not specific to the Saba 50, but it will give you a grounding in thinking that may be quite helpful.

Ann
Old 18-03-2024, 03:45   #4

Thank you Captain and Cate, really appreciate the feedback!
Old 18-03-2024, 07:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdavena View Post

Perhaps this will help ... Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 18-03-2024, 07:24   #6

Yes, thanks the 101 Survey article is a great one!

Tags
Advice, survey