Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25   #1

B&G FOCUS WINDWATCH

Hello,
On my boat I am using old B&G FOCUS sailing instruments. Unfortunately my Windwatch masthead unit has stop working.
I was trying to repair it but I just made more damage. I tore the wires off from the connection, where masthead unit is connected to the mast cables on the masthead unit side. The problem I have now is that I don’t know the right way to solder the cables back.
Is there someone who would know the right order to solder them back? Any help would be more than welcome.
Thank you in advance!
Vibo
VIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40   #2

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: B&G FOCUS WINDWATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBO View Post
Hello,
On my boat I am using old B&G FOCUS sailing instruments. Unfortunately my Windwatch masthead unit has stop working.
I was trying to repair it but I just made more damage. I tore the wires off from the connection, where masthead unit is connected to the mast cables on the masthead unit side. The problem I have now is that I don’t know the right way to solder the cables back.
Is there someone who would know the right order to solder them back? Any help would be more than welcome.
Thank you in advance!
Vibo
I was just looking for some B&G Hydra products and saw this before I read your posting. This may help you if B&G FOCUS will handle a B&G 213 mast head unit. This thing probably needs upper and lower sensor bearings and an anemometer cup. Those will cost about $100USD each, if I remember correctly. If it will work with your system, you will have a refirb'd mast top unit for around $250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-G-Brookes-...00804866800%26

For used B&G items, Tinley Marine Electronics Service in the UK is very good. They will also repair your current mast top unit.

Hope this helps.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:33   #3

Re: B&G FOCUS WINDWATCH

Thank you for your help! I will check if I can get replacement.

End for others if they will have similar problem: My model is B&G Focus 283 if I am correct and I manage to find one document on B&G site:” what is the correct wiring for masthead units” which was extremely useful. But for all older models (like my) you have to check the table on the end on the document because they have changed the wiring after 1996.
As mention I manage to fix that problem and when I mounted it back it was working great but after 1h the wind direction instrument stopped working properly. It just stays on the 60 degree angle and it does not move according to the wind indicator on the masthead unit. If I turn the instruments on and off it just jumps to 0 degree and then it goes slowly back to 60 degree where it stays?
The masthead unit is turning normal.
Does anyone have any suggestion what could that be?
Thank you again,
Vibo
VIBO is offline   Reply With Quote