Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2024, 04:52   #1

Is 55 hp enough for a SABA 50 offshore when needed?

Good Morning All,

As we seek boats to purchase this season we're looking at the Saona 47, SABA 50, and Elba 45's primarily. During our reviews we've noticed a few of the SABA 50's we're seeing online have the 55 hp option and looking to see if we can talk to any cruisers about their experiences on a SABA with this configuration. Also, preferably with a folding prop.

I gather its enough to cruise on a good day no problem, and enough to charter its plenty of HP. I've seen another post showing projected speeds at various RPMs which is helpful.

My question is this... is 55 HP enough to push this boat reasonably, say 5.5-6 kts into a storm or squall if need be. Needing to get to safety in an underpowered boat is less than ideal and I wonder if anyone has experienced a SABA with 55's offshore heading into a swell/wind etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
vdavena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 10:39   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Is 55 hp enough for a SABA 50 offshore when needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdavena View Post
Good Morning All,

As we seek boats to purchase this season we're looking at the Saona 47, SABA 50, and Elba 45's primarily. During our reviews we've noticed a few of the SABA 50's we're seeing online have the 55 hp option and looking to see if we can talk to any cruisers about their experiences on a SABA with this configuration. Also, preferably with a folding prop.

I gather its enough to cruise on a good day no problem, and enough to charter its plenty of HP. I've seen another post showing projected speeds at various RPMs which is helpful.

My question is this... is 55 HP enough to push this boat reasonably, say 5.5-6 kts into a storm or squall if need be. Needing to get to safety in an underpowered boat is less than ideal and I wonder if anyone has experienced a SABA with 55's offshore heading into a swell/wind etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I actually delivered Sanoa 47 hull no3 from La Grand Motte to Antigua boat show. We had the D2-60 with 60hp upgrade and well for above 20kn wind on the beam when lying alongside a dock we couldn't get the bow out to leave the dock. It has a lot windage....Needed our 50hp dingy to tow bow out to be able to leave, another time the habour master helped with a motorboat. She was a full option one with dive compressors but standard salis. Offshore she was comfortable but slow, we motored in 35kn and needed nearly WOT on 2 to fight it, consumed a lot diesel. We had 1000l diesel with for crossing and needed every drop of it, pushed it into english habour with the dingy as we had no drop of diesel left.
Really don't wanna get into really severe wether with the 2x60Hp on the Sanoa.
Sanoa is basically a shortend Saba.
So well 55hp on saba is definitely undermotorized, wouldn't consider it.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 11:56   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

I would look for a 44' Helia if it should be FP or a Leopard 44 or 45.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 06:02   #4

Hello Captain, much appreciate the feedback. Thank you for the detail and summation!
vdavena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 hp, Engine preference, fountaine pajot, horse power, offshore, Saba