Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 18:27   #1

Boat: Lots of boats.
What tablets run OpenCPN?

I'm thinking of buying a tablet to run OpenCPN. I don't want to do root crap and other nonsense to get an app to run. What are the hardware and software requirements for OpenCPN. I searched their website and don't see that basic info anywhere. I want to plug and play like I did on my Windows laptop. Install software, download some maps and possible plugins, done!

I assume I need a tablet with GPS, but what else? Will a cheap android run this as is or do I have to spend the crazy money to buy an iPad. Does it even run on iPads? Don't see that info anywhere obvious either. Thanks for any help you all can provide.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 18:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: What tablets run OpenCPN?

hsi88...

OpenCPN for Android runs on any Android device with Android Version 4 or later. Modern Android devices are running at least Android Version 6, so any reasonably modern device will be fine. Similarly, it is a very rare modern Android device that doesn't include integrated GPS. Also good.

So, your choices will mainly involve the form-factor you prefer. Handheld phone size, or tablet size? Next, consider screen brightness. Brighter is always better. Memory (storage) specs are important. Try to get a device with at least 16GB of internal storage. Again, more is better. CPU core count/MHz speed: not so important, actually.

My advice: Don't spend big money on the latest, greatest Android device. It will be old in 6 months, anyway... Moderately priced tablets (~$150) work just fine. Here's one:
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Qualco...526886&sr=8-17

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 19:43   #3

Boat: Riva 48

There are a number of Windows 10 tablets for sale on Amazon, $100 and above that could run OpenCPN.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:22   #4

Boat: Lots of boats.

Thanks for the replies! Now why couldn't the OpenCPN website provide this same info somewhere easy to find?
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:18   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I have version 4.8.8 running on a HP Win10 laptop and on an inexpensive Winbook Win10 tablet, both utilizing an external GPS puck or a Garmin fish finder/GPS/plotter over NMEA0183 with a hand soldered USB to serial cable. So far for me, configuring stuff like baud rate, comm port, NMEA output on the Garmin, etc. has been more time consuming than making the Open CPN software run on the hardware or the wiring connections between the pieces. And by time consuming I am talking a couple hours, not days or weeks.

I fully expect that any 'open source' type software is going to have a slightly steeper learning curve than a commercial product, as no one is getting paid to provide product testing or technical support to the masses. Some programs have a 'this hardware works' list but those become outdated rapidly unless end users report their findings and some volunteer to update the list.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:02   #6

Boat: Najad 34

I do agree to all Dave wrote. I cheep Android will do. For test purposes I have a few very cheep devices. All works fine for navigation. In case you like to zoom out and in the whole world, having a lot of charts, without to much waiting you may like at least 2 GB internal memory and 1 GHz processor.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn