Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 08:10   #796

Re: Weather Routing

Many thanks for the quick answer. Beside the description of the plugin on the opencpn page, is there another "manual" for the plugin available? Just to avoid too stupid questions here.
klaus53123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 16:11   #797

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

We all need to start augmenting the wxroute manual with the answers to all stupid question (actually there are none!).
Sean and I invite anyone to register to edit the manual and add those missing critical parts. I will try to help.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 22:49   #798

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus53123 View Post
Many thanks for the quick answer. Beside the description of the plugin on the opencpn page, is there another "manual" for the plugin available? Just to avoid too stupid questions here.
There is a manual included with the plugin accessed from the help menu
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 17:00   #799

Weather_routing for windows has been updated by Sean to use the highest wind speed in the polar for wind conditions above this speed.

Opencpn Beta File Thingie
rguser rgpass

Look under 4.1.818 PI Win for
weather_routing_pi-1.7002-ov4.1.818-win32 (2)

Please test.
Old 03-01-2016, 22:42   #800

Boat: Chincogan 40

Hi,
Am starting to mess with Weather Routing. Currently getting "Not compatitable with the Grib plugin version" error.
Am using OpenCPN 4.1.1108, Grib Ver 3.0, Weather Routing 1.6002

Weather Routing is newer than the 1.5 version on the downloads page. Can't find a download for the Grib plugin. Where would I find the latest one?

Cheers
Larfalitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:27   #801

Grab the one from the file thingie. rguser/rgpass
https://tgp-architects.com/files/ind...108%20PI%20Win

That seems to work fine with the latest 4.1 beta. Sort by data, so you get the latest one.

Regards,
Doug
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 14:37   #802

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodall View Post
Grab the one from the file thingie. rguser/rgpass
https://tgp-architects.com/files/ind...108%20PI%20Win

That seems to work fine with the latest 4.1 beta. Sort by data, so you get the latest one.

Regards,
Doug
Hmm, I can't see a grib plugin in that folder...
Can't see one anywhere on file thingie

Other suggestions??

I'm Linux BTW
Old 07-01-2016, 15:06   #803

Poked around on github & found Sean has a 1.8 version of weather_routing. Pulled that but got these errors after running make on Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty)

/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:199:64: error: ‘glPushAttrib’ was not declared in this scope
glPushAttrib(GL_LINE_BIT | GL_ENABLE_BIT | GL_HINT_BIT ); //Save state
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:200:19: error: ‘GL_LINE_SMOOTH’ was not declared in this scope
glEnable( GL_LINE_SMOOTH );
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:200:34: error: ‘glEnable’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:201:19: error: ‘GL_BLEND’ was not declared in this scope
glEnable( GL_BLEND );
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:202:22: error: ‘GL_SRC_ALPHA’ was not declared in this scope
glBlendFunc( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA );
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:202:36: error: ‘GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:202:59: error: ‘glBlendFunc’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:203:17: error: ‘GL_LINE_SMOOTH_HINT’ was not declared in this scope
glHint( GL_LINE_SMOOTH_HINT, GL_NICEST );
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:203:38: error: ‘GL_NICEST’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:203:48: error: ‘glHint’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:233:21: error: ‘glPopAttrib’ was not declared in this scope
glPopAttrib();
^
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/weather_routing_pi.dir/src/WeatherRouting.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/weather_routing_pi.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Old 07-01-2016, 19:04   #804

Quote:
Am starting to mess with Weather Routing. Currently getting "Not compatitable with the Grib plugin version" error.
Am using OpenCPN 4.1.1108, Grib Ver 3.0, Weather Routing 1.6002

Weather Routing is newer than the 1.5 version on the downloads page. Can't find a download for the Grib plugin. Where would I find the latest one?
Quote:
Hmm, I can't see a grib plugin in that folder...
Can't see one anywhere on file thingie
The Grib_pi plugin is part of the Opencpn package now like WMM, Dashboard, Chart Downloader.

It should be in the OpenCPN4.1.xxxx .exe package when you install.
I'll put a compile of grib up tomorrow if you need it.
Let me know.
Old 07-01-2016, 23:05   #805

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larfalitl View Post
Poked around on github & found Sean has a 1.8 version of weather_routing. Pulled that but got these errors after running make on Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty)

/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:199:64: error: ‘glPushAttrib’ was not declared in this scope
glPushAttrib(GL_LINE_BIT | GL_ENABLE_BIT | GL_HINT_BIT ); //Save state
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:200:19: error: ‘GL_LINE_SMOOTH’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:200:34: error: ‘glEnable’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:201:19: error: ‘GL_BLEND’ was not declared in this scope
glEnable( GL_BLEND );
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:202:22: error: ‘GL_SRC_ALPHA’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:202:36: error: ‘GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:202:59: error: ‘glBlendFunc’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:203:17: error: ‘GL_LINE_SMOOTH_HINT’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:203:38: error: ‘GL_NICEST’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:203:48: error: ‘glHint’ was not declared in this scope
^
/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi/src/WeatherRouting.cpp:233:21: error: ‘glPopAttrib’ was not declared in this scope
glPopAttrib();
^
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/weather_routing_pi.dir/src/WeatherRouting.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/weather_routing_pi.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Data/graeme/Build/WeatherFax/weather_routing_pi'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Can you add include <GL/gl.h> to the top of the file? I'm not sure why it's doing this.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 14:50   #806

I guess you would call this a complaint.
I am tired of not being able to see the values in all the menus for weather_routing.
I have tried to figure out how to change this in wxformbuilder but have been remarkably unsuccessful. The expand and stretch buttons seem to do nothing to a field and the program has changed since I last used it.

At this point I think the menus are completely unusable and right now I am quite frustrated about it.

Furthermore I am unable to save and use a boat XML file for my boat with the proper sail area draft, beam, etc. I try to save the file, find it in the proper location, Then try to load it and the dam plugin still shows 4 tons, etc.
So I find this aspect unusable, and I am frustrated about that.

This plugin was better with the old menus even though they were difficult to see all the values too. I would very much like to see these existing menus fixed in such a way that values are not cut off and so that the boat files we want to use stay as the default boat file. Or at least advise us if we must save our boat information back into "Boat.xml" because that is the default file that is always used upon startup!

If someone wants to tell me exactly how to use wxformbuilder, perhaps I can fix the menus, but I doubt I can fix the other problems.
Old 03-02-2016, 15:06   #807

Just a little bit about my attempt at using wxformbuilder.
There are absolutely no instructions for this software that I am aware of, so I had to try to learn by inspection. First I loaded the fb? file and looked at it closely. I was able to determine fields had cooreponding boxes and could figure out where the values were and where the labels were.

I could view the code in C++ as well as Designer mode. I tried changing the -1 values in the C++ view but they would not change. Then I tried hitting the expand button while the cursor was in the field I wanted to be wider. Nothing happened. Then I tried hitting the stretch button for the same field. I realized that this may be some kind of setting that is sticky to the field, but it did not change how the field is presented in the wxformbuilder interface.
Does this have to be done in debug mode or something?
I assume that after the code is generated it is built as a release.
Is the wxformbuilder wisywig or not?
How do you expand or stretch fields to show more characters?
There is NO Help in the program.
Old 04-02-2016, 21:46   #808

Boat: Richter 42

Rick,
I only put a change into a fork of this plugin to show that it could be done. I have no access to the main repository and I struggled to get the plugin to work. I managed it in the end, but it was very confusing and items did not stay the way I set them. I think Sean needs to have a look at this, it is his code and his way of doing things.

wxFormBuilder is GUI the version I am using, 3.5.1-RC1 is MUCH better than the previous ones. At least it doesn't randomly crash in the middle of changing things. You have to play with it and see what happens. I use it to create the outline of what I want and then do the manipulations in straight code. Changing values from "-1" is not normally a good way to go as on different resolutions it will have different sizes and may not work at all. You really need to leave these alone and in the code get the form/dialog/tab/whatever to resize based on the environment it is running in.

The issue I have is that things work in Linux and then fail completely in Windows. Windows seems to have a 'slightly' different implementation of wxWidgets and they sometimes don't do what they are supposed to. Hiding a tab in a notebook being the most obvious (you may have seen this in OD where I tried to hide the 'Path' tab, but windows WILL not do it. Also the 'Display Text' tab in the OD Points properties is another one). The only way I could hide a tab was to delete it completely at run time!

So, not much help I am afraid, but you should know you are not alone in struggling with some of this stuff. I think you just have to use wxFormBuilder and see what works for you and what doesn't.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:40   #809

Jon,
You're encouragement and warnings about wxformbuilder and windows is helpful and reassuring that I am not alone. Yes last time I used it changing -1 was not the way to get it working well, but a last resort. What I want to do is try to widen the main frames so that perhaps the short value boxes will widen and thus show everything in them.

I can't seem to find the controls to do this kind of stuff, and I don't seem to have access to the basic parameters for a given element!

I am using the most current stable version of wxFormBuilder 3.5 RC1 for windows.
I am reluctant to install virtualbox and linux and opencpn to use the linux version of wxformbuilder....seems like a lot of work.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:21   #810
NAV

Weather Routing requires an update of the pot-file. In the latest version (from File Thingie) many strings seem to be missing or are not translated.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather