Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 14:16   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Waypoints at every track log point?

I've used OCPN for quite some time, now, but I have an issue I've never seen, and can't find a solution for.

A bit ago, when I was trying to get info about a track, I somehow made waypoints of every one of the track points. The result looks like this.

How do I undo that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	167150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture5.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	167151  

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:43   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Waypoints at every track log point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I've used OCPN for quite some time, now, but I have an issue I've never seen, and can't find a solution for.

A bit ago, when I was trying to get info about a track, I somehow made waypoints of every one of the track points. The result looks like this.

How do I undo that?
You have converted that one track to a route (there is a button to do that in the track properties).

If you have not deleted the original track (which you would have to do manually, it is not removed during the conversion to route), you may simply delete the route and the track, now hidden bellow it will again become visible.

If you did delete the original track, you may still have an automatic backup in older navobj.xml.[1-5] file (This depends on what "a bit ago" actually is - if you have since started OpenCPN more than 5 times, every time did some change to the navigation objects and did not change the default settings for backups, you don't have it anymore) - If you do not have that backup anymore, you may still export the route as GPX file which you may later edit in a text editor and make a track again (But you already have lost some precision as during the conversion to route the points recorded in the original track are interpolated to limit their total number)
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:46   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

Looking at the second picture, unfortunately taken from a very straight leg, your track seem to still be there as the yellow highlight it has seems to be visible, so you should be good just deleting the route.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 04:17   #4

Thanks for the responses.

I was attempting to show tracks to the Bahamas, and was in the properties of the track (mouse on track, right click, I think it was). Somehow I got all the waypoints laid onto each of the recording points of the track.

However, to the first response, I cannot seem to find the route. We don't use this as our primary nav tool; routes are in the chartplotter, if, indeed, we bother to use them (usually it's either point and shoot - go in a straight line, end point determined by currents - or from single waypoint to single waypoint), so I can't seem to figure out how to delete a route.

The only route info I see is on the top bar (ctl-R), and clicking that does nothing. As to frequent opening, other than taking snaps of the routes for that discussion ("leaving to the Bahamas in May" in CF), while I may have referred to it frequently, I am not doing routes or anything else which would change what's there.

So, for the dense (I'll be 73 in a couple of weeks, and sometimes miss stuff which otherwise might be obvious), what exact steps do I take to get to a route list, and delete what likely will be the only route in it?

Thanks!

L8R

Skip/Flying Pig
Old 27-03-2018, 04:19   #5

Well, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

I stumbled upon it, and took a deep breath as I did the delete.

The track remains, with occasional waypoints (mebbe an accidental MOB or some other mark during the trip), which I am cleaning up singly.

Thanks for the help!

L8R

Skip