Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 20:45   #16

Re: Slackware 14.2 - plugin compile probs.

did you use the slackbuilds.org build scripts for wxGTK3? what was your configure options. did you add the -enable-graphics_ctx per the instructions in the manual or is it needed? the manual is a bit outdated. here is what my command looks like....

./configure \
--prefix=/usr \
--libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
--sysconfdir=/etc \
--enable-shared \
--enable-mediactrl \
--with-opengl \
--enable-graphics_ctx \
--with-gtk=2 \
--enable-unicode \
--enable-plugins \
--enable-ipv6 \
$stl \
--build=$ARCH-slackware-linux

can you post yours so i can compare.

thanks
slackerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 21:56   #17

@slackerson It was the box standard slackbuild for wxGTK3.The --enable-graphics_ctx is included with this script.I initially did test version 4.4.0 with wxGTK.I could compile the main program o.k ,but was unable to compile many of the additional plugins.ie. route, weather_routing and weatherfax all crashed during compile.The addition of wxGTK3 sorted that. Rgds Paul H.
paulha57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 03:04   #18

@slackerson The state of play regarding two of my machines is as follows.I upgraded the slack14.1 64 bit desktop to a pure 64 bit 14.2 machine (it had to be done anyway). After that I installed all of the opencpn dependencies in addition to the wxGTK3 slackbuild.I then compiled version 4.4.0 against these dependencies using src2pkg.All plugins then compiled o.k., although I had to manually install them. As far as the laptop goes, I installed wxGTK3 as an alternative to wxGTK and version 4.5.0 compiled and installed o.k.All plugins compiled and installed manually as well.This machine was a slack14.2 64 bit + multilibs.By the way it was Thomas who pointed you towards the opencpn log and not me.So thanks for that Thomas.Rgds Paul H.
paulha57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 08:42   #19

I guess i have been too vague about which plugins i've been concerned with. i mean the ones that are built in with the main app. like the chart downloader, grib etc...

anyway i tracked down the problem to my wxGTK3 pkg. it was compiled on a pre 14.2 current version of slack. with different glibc, kernel-headers ect... i just rebuilt it and then rebuilt opencpn 4.5.0 and shazam! plugins work!

there is still the problem of opencpn not knowing that it installed the plugin libs to the /user/lib64/opencpn dir so my slackbuild script creates the symlink before making the slackware pkg now.

the reason i don't use src2pkg is that i have my own custom building environment that creates a repository from built pkgs for use with my own slackware based distribution SlackBuilder. a distribution generator so to speak.

if your interested you can check it out at http://linuxoutpost.com. the documentation is incomplete at this time and it is still being developed so there maybe a few bugs here and there.

right now i am working on putting out a slackware based mariners linux distro. not only with binary pkgs but also complete with a slackbuild repo for use with the slackbuilding tools. slackbuilds.org does not have an OpenCPN slackbuild nor many other navigation apps so i have to build them from scratch.
slackerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:42   #20

Boat: 1911, 6mR, 31 ft

Quoting the first post in this thread, because this is my concern!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulha57 View Post
For anybody who is having problems compiling the available 4.4.0 plugins and is using slackware 14.2 Try changing the recommended wxGTK to wxGTK3 (available as a slackbuild) and installing OpenCPN via the src2pkg route. All plugins should then compile and install properly. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.I had difficulty compiling the plugins using the directions supplied on the OpenCPN site. Rgds, Paul H.
followed the discussion along the first page, but somewhere got lost in other questions, among those "If Slackware is supported?" and "moving the compiling instruction to the User Manual?".

I'm sorry for the very late reply! If been away for more than two years. Other things occupied me.

I'm responsible for the compiling OpenCPN for Slackware instruction in the Developers Manual, or in fact me and my late friend. -I was asked to write it, by one or two active and kind forum members in the thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...a-97289-4.html. If I dont remember wrong one of them was rgleason?

One of the first things I did when I finally returned last Sunday was to check if the Slackware hints still were on the Opencpn.org.
I had already noted the Slackbuilds script for Slackware 14.2, the change from wxGTK to wxGTK3 and the need for hints on building/compiling the pi's.
I also noted that a few things were missing concerning installation in openSUSE.
I could not change anything in the manuals though, because my account from the previous Opencpn.org was no longer valid in the new. [It would anyway have been to late for this thread].

I PM'ed Pavel yesterday about these questions and am just waiting for his reply.

Best regards
Lars

PS. Since the question was raised in this thread, is there really a need for any Slackware lines in Opencpn.org? DS.
larsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:37   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

You can review and edit the compile slackware page. Might be a good Idea to keep it current for other users.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:47   #22

Please check this thread. Would like to be sure the pages are updated properly. Please advise re specifics if possible. Thanks

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97289
Old 11-02-2017, 14:35   #23

Larsed,
No problem, I will wait for you guys to sort out what needs to be done. Its best that those who know the details handle this. Let me know if I can be of any help as far as editing, but Larsed, I believe you have Edit/Manager rights to Owiki, now.

Best.

Tags
plug