Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Settings and Log Files - Win7

The OpenCpn Manual description for the location of these files is towards the bottom of this page Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
"It is important to know the location of the log file and the configuration file, opencpn.conf(Linux)or opencpn.ini (Windows), on your computer. If you ask questions on the forum, there is a fair chance that you will be asked about the content in these files. Once you get familiar with OpenCPN, have a look at the files!"
In Windows 7 installs I can find "Install.log" in the Opencpn directory in several installations. I do not find "opencpn.ini" or "opencpn.conf". Some of these installations are ones that I created by compiling a release and some are downloads that have been installed. I am having trouble finding the file for Opencpn Settings. Has this information become incorporated in a digital file rather than a text file?

I would like to make some changes to the settings. In particular we are working on improvements to a Weatherfax plugin, and Sean mentioned that these settings would probably be in one the log or the settings file, although I have not been able to determine which lines they are. Why do I want editing these setttings? -Because currently in my Weatherfax Plugin I have a series of blank records for Set Coordinates that I would like to delete or remove, and the "remove" function does not appear to be operating on the blank records. I would like to understand what is happening and to clean out or reset this old list.

It would be helpful if I knew where this user information is stored and could get access to it with an editor like Notepad++.

Also even though the access to the Log and Settings file is very easy through the "?" and the buttons to copy to the clipboard, I should know where these files are located.

There does not appear to be any Opencpn ProgramData directory either.

Thanks.

Earlier post from Weaatherfax thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1170065
Quote:
The coord naming and saving needs some work or I have corrupted my saved coords somehow. I can't seem to remove named coordinates, and I have a lot of blank spaces. It would be nice If I could clean out and reset this list too.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Settings and Log Files - Win7

rgleason...
ProgramData is a hidden folder by default. To see it, you have to do something like How to show hidden files in Windows 7

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:11   #3

Sorry, I neglected to say above that I have always had Hide file extensions and Hide system files and folders turned OFF. --Also there is nothing for Opencpn in programdata.

Still don't know where to find the settings file. Have searched through all directories, tried likely searches for txt files etc.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 14:24   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

It is exactly where the about box says - if it wasn't there, OpenCPN would obviously not be able to save and load your settings as what it shows there is what it actually works with... I would recheck your system settings.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 16:38   #5

Yes, it is right in the Window at the bottom! Sorry, did not read that information that carefully.

"Logfile location: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.log
"Config file location: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini

Now I see the problem, I was looking for ProgramData\Opencpn3.1.1417
It is stored in a common location and probably used by all Opencpn programs?
-I'll find out. I thought I did a search for *.ini in that dir but it did not seem to appear.

Thank you! Pavel

Found
[Settings/WeatherFax]
[Settings/WeatherFax/CoordinateSets]
[Settings/WeatherFax/CoordinateSets/New_Coord_1]

Now I can clean this section up and delete the blanks, etc. Thanks again.